cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:02 AM

There where at least 4 x MHDT sports sedans dating back to the start of 1976.

Bond built and paid for the first one but it ran hdt colours.

15902375982_b7503b1725_b.jpg

Cameron

#27 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

As Firth said in 1983 in Melbourne these where not pressed for sports sedans (or group c). I don't doubt that like Brock that Firth had inconsistencies in his recall in later years but we all have less ability for detail as we get older and the years go on.

The sport sedan pics show the reality.

Regardless of the speculation of hdt cars cheating, it was only done by Firth to test what was possible for a future series.

Obviously if Shepard or someone at hdt sold or gave some of them to Grice/Negus etc then make no mistake HDT would have been on the lookout for them come race day. Anyone who knows those years would also know that any suspected advantage was regularly subject to a lodged protest. I imagine someone might be able to get away with a race or perhaps two, but word would have soon gotten out or they would have picked them up at scrutineering. I still doubt they where used on a group c car as they would be too easy to detect and too easy to neglect under race conditions.

More than likely at some stage some of them where run on a local perth racecar. When I had my first torana they where advertised for sale in the sunday readers mart on several occasions in about 1985. Don't know if it was the exact panels shown in the first pics as I had no interest in looking at them for a steet car. Someone would know the history of who from hdt let them out and who ended up with them.

Cameron

Edited by cameron, 05 July 2017 - 02:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users