Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:32 AM

I take it the roof lining is chamois colour since the pinch weld is

Dammit! That's something I didn't check. The B pillar vinyl is chamois so it'd make sense to continue with that theme. The A pillar interior is painted black to match the dash I suppose. If I see it again I'll get a pic.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 11 October 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#52 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:58 AM

Dammit! That's something I didn't check. The B pillar vinyl is chamois so it'd make sense to continue with that theme. The A pillar interior is painted black to match the dash I suppose. If I see it again I'll get a pic.

s

When you think of it there would be so many combos you could do, I think the top of the doors would look good black but that might have to keep going into the b-pillar and roof

#53 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:02 AM

When you think of it there would be so many combos you could do

Definitely, depends how accurate to 60A you wanted to be. I'd go a cloth insert but 60A is vinyl.

The A9X came with a fashion pack option.

1977-holden-lx-torana-a9x-sedan.jpg

s

#54 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:13 AM

Definitely, depends how accurate to 60A you wanted to be. I'd go a cloth insert but 60A is vinyl.

The A9X came with a fashion pack option.

1977-holden-lx-torana-a9x-sedan.jpg

s

I think I would stick with a basic vinyl insert, that is a bit full on for me, lol. Just the colours I mean, I will try and stick fairly accurate but mine not being a original SLR or anything like that I think I could play around a little without taking any value off it.

#55 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:23 AM

I think I would stick with a basic vinyl insert, that is a bit full on for me, lol.

lol, I agree, there are more subtle cloth inserts like herringbone or chevron in chamois.

b8f00c74.jpg

s

#56 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

That looks good, plenty of decisions to be made.

#57 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:41 AM

Found another pic of the SS, definitely looks like a chamois hoodlining

ss_zpsdulkimse.jpg

s

#58 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:27 PM

Good to know, nice car. I like the black paint on hatchbacks but not sure for a 4 door, too much prep work and then trying to keep it clean, and would be a pretty hot car in Queensland.

#59 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:43 PM

The first job I wanted to tackle on the new car was the body work, it wasn't an option to try and sand and buff up the single pak acrylic, the body was solid but I did notice certain minor dents and imperfections that were missed in preparation. And when it all come down to it I wanted the car to be painted in 2 pak ,due to its durability and chemical resistance, I didn't know whether to just start stripping it back to bare metal or work with what I got. I decided to hit the whole car with 180 grid on the DA sander and blocks, and after that I decided I could fix the imperfections without stripping it, and I would give the car 3 coats with a 2 pak high fill urethane primer. Don't know why I have no photos of the outer panels, must have been too busy but here are some inner panels. I have got a bit ahead of myself, the next post will be cutting rear guards which have been done in the last pic you might have noticed. 

Attached Files

#60 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:11 AM

One of the best threads here is Anton's build thread. His is an LX SL/R so if you're going to spray yours like a 5000 I'd say this one is very close for starters, if not the same, of course a 5000 has extra blackouts on bonnet and side decals.

http://www.gmh-toran...y-resto-thread/

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 12 October 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#61 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:33 AM

One of the best threads here is Anton's build thread. His is an LX SL/R so if you're going to spray yours like a 5000 I'd say this one is very close for starters, if not the same, of course a 5000 has extra blackouts on bonnet and side decals.

http://www.gmh-toran...y-resto-thread/

s

I will have a look at his build thread, I am planning to spray mine like a 5000 with the extra blackouts, I have realised how big a job it is rather than painting something like a EH, you have front and rear spoilers, bonnet scoop, 4 flares and then all the extra blackouts to mask up, but they are a head turner when finished.

#62 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

you have front and rear spoilers, bonnet scoop, 4 flares and then all the extra blackouts to mask up, but they are a head turner when finished.

Indeed they are and if you're doing a full respray you want to get the finer details right. I recall Anton doing the research; blackouts behind the front apron; when you open the doors knowing where the B-pillar and door sill blackouts start and finish, etc. If you're doing a replica, all these little things will improve the value of your car if you get them right so be sure to ask around when the time comes.

;)

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 12 October 2015 - 08:54 AM.

#63 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:08 AM

No worries, I will be asking a lot of questions as I go, I am up to the stage of sanding my second run of primer for paint, I am in front of my build thread but it wont take me long to catch up body prep takes so looooooooooong.

#64 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

As much as Antons car is awesome you need to check out Al,s Rusty LX 4 door rebuild thread it will give you step by step on everything
even the blackouts and decals check out how good his car is

#65 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

you need to check out Al,s Rusty LX 4 door rebuild thread

Thanks I missed that one; it's awesome!

http://www.gmh-toran...4-door-rebuild/

s

#66 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:25 PM

As much as Antons car is awesome you need to check out Al,s Rusty LX 4 door rebuild thread it will give you step by step on everything
even the blackouts and decals check out how good his car is

Thanks Ice, at this point I am just bringing together as much info as I can, and any guide is a great help.

#67 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

With regard to the rear wheel arches, my personal award for best design goes to Mat (Livo74) in this thread...

http://www.gmh-toran...e-7#entry884686

Not sure if Mat is still around but his build thread suffered an 'attack of the shit-stirrers' and he hasn't updated it since February.

as good as it's going to get in my hands.

very happy chappy in all.

massive thankyou for everyones help and positity, is coming along nicely :) ..thankfully

zIMAG2002.jpg

zIMAG2003.jpg

#68 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

Here's a good thread for fitting flares; since you have an LX, the A9X flares would be the ones optioned by factory; they are wider at the rear.  However, since the SL/R 5000 didn't come with flares, it's up to you which ones you prefer for your own build.

http://www.gmh-toran...tart-to-finish/

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 12 October 2015 - 02:43 PM.

#69 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:23 PM

With regard to the rear wheel arches, my personal award for best design goes to Mat (Livo74) in this thread...

http://www.gmh-toran...e-7#entry884686

Not sure if Mat is still around but his build thread suffered an 'attack of the shit-stirrers' and he hasn't updated it since February.

This is the same method I went for, there are a few different ways but in the end you got to go with what your comfortable with, and have a go and get the job done. my main concerns were strength and to be fully sealed so no rust would occur, other than that the flare covers up your job.

#70 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

Here's a good thread for fitting flares; since you have an LX, the A9X flares would be the ones optioned by factory; they are wider at the rear.  However, since the SL/R 5000 didn't come with flares, it's up to you which ones you prefer for your own build.

http://www.gmh-toran...tart-to-finish/

s

Ruts is a professional he does great work, hope mine turn out half as neat, a new set of flares came with the second car I bought not sure what sought they are will have to check.

#71 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:41 PM

not sure what sought they are will have to check.

post-167-12780179977719.jpg

^ He means to write L34 not SL/R.

http://www.gmh-toran...and-a9x-flares/

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 12 October 2015 - 06:42 PM.

#72 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:47 PM

post-664-0-50687400-1344257386.jpg

Spotted this on another thread, Contessa Gold looks better than I thought; not sure about the visor though, lol.

s

#73 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:06 PM

Spotted this on another thread, Contessa Gold looks better than I thought; not sure about the visor though, lol.

s

I thought about this colour but I wonder if they did a lx SLR 5000, at the moment I am thinking of staying with Barbados green. I will check my flares tomorrow to see what type they are.

#74 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:55 AM

I thought about this colour but I wonder if they did a lx SLR 5000

post-26163-0-97137900-1442808707.jpg

Here's an A9X, if not original, it's a pretty good replica. I don't know if 5000 decals down the side would suit this colour but it's a Torana, you can't go wrong, they all look good, lol.

It depends which way you want to go about it, the sexier colours will sell quicker but the rarer colours do have collector appeal and always stir a bit of interest at shows. If it had V8 tags I'd lean toward building it to tag specs; if it's a keeper, build the car you want to be seen driving.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 13 October 2015 - 07:02 AM.

#75 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

Here's an A9X, if not original, it's a pretty good replica. I don't know if 5000 decals down the side would suit this colour but it's a Torana, you can't go wrong, they all look good, lol.

It depends which way you want to go about it, the sexier colours will sell quicker but the rarer colours do have collector appeal and always stir a bit of interest at shows. If it had V8 tags I'd lean toward building it to tag specs; if it's a keeper, build the car you want to be seen driving.

s

I know what you mean about the gold and 5000 decals, I think the Barbados green and blackouts look good even though it has been done a fair bit before. My flares are definitely L34, at the moment the wheels on the rear are going to be 8 inch wide by 14 inch diameter, with 245 wide tyres so these flares will be ok the A9X type may look too wide. The car is going to be a keeper, but with the money I have already spend buying the 2 cars for the moment I am going to have to use a lot of the parts I have already  just so I have the funds to finish it.

Attached Files

Edited by Mox, 13 October 2015 - 10:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users