Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:LC 2dr

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:56 AM

Hi All,

I haven't done much work on my Torrie of late as I've been completing an auto to manual conversion on my VK Calais.  I've owned it since the late nineties and it was a daily driver up until 3 or 4 years ago when it started getting a bit tired both mechanically and body wise.  It had a cheap spray-over paint job not long after I purchased it, and following rust repairs and a few dings, the paint is looking pretty sad.  Long term plans are to strip & repaint it, but not until to the LC is on the road.  At the same time the engine will get a refresh along the lines of period Brock build - B cast heads, etc...  nothing too extravagant.

Several months ago I purchased a T5 conversion kit and have spent the last few weeks putting it in before the gearbox warranty expires.... thought I'd post some photos for those who might be interested.

20150822_154145.jpg

20150822_152635.jpg
20150822_105647.jpg
20150822_105700.jpg
20150822_111746.jpg

After a lot of swearing and transmision fluid all over the garage floor, the auto gearbox was finally out.
20150823_112117.jpg
20150823_121759.jpg
20150823_135336.jpg

The x-member supplied with the kit didn't line up with any mounting holes so I used a piece of C channel as an interim fix - it turns out they sent the wrong item... I will make a replacement once I've checked the driveshaft alignment.
20151002_121148.jpg
20151002_121116.jpg

Time to tackle the steering column & pedal box...
20150829_101036.jpg
20150829_112752.jpg

It now has an extra pedal!
20150902_172954.jpg
20150902_172917.jpg

Whilst the column was out, I took the opportunity to disassemble the temperamental ignition switch and give it a clean...
20150911_094709.jpg

Whilst cleaning the bits I managed to loose one of the little roller balls, but found a suitable replacement at the local hobby shop....
20150911_094738.jpg

Re-assembly with some Electrolube...
20150911_095258.jpg
20150911_101506.jpg
20150911_102430.jpg

Once re-assembled I tested it - all good - even the ACC position now works!
20150911_103731.jpg

Painted and rivetted the manual floor plate in place and fitted shifter and boot.
20150911_153343.jpg

Re-fitted the steering column and modified the auto wiring loom for the reverse light / neutral safety circuits.
20150919_111357.jpg

Re-fitted the console and changed gearstick / knob to a VN-VS one... much better as it has a slight lean backwards and looks alittle more 'original'.  I still need to get the console insert coloured to match the interior.  Anybody want a Hurst gearstick & knob for a T5?
20151002_121218.jpg

Once it was all back together I fired it up and was greeted with a loud grinding noise from underneath - oh $hit!  It turned out to be the flywheel bolts rubbing on the dust cover!  I trimmed off the section that was rubbing plus around the hole for the starter so that the cover fitted better.
20151005_085835.jpg

The car drives really nice but could probably do with a shorter rear end than the current 3.08.  Only issue is that there's now some drive line vibration under load - not sure @ this point if it's engine misfire or tailshaft alignment.

From what I've read on the net, the uni-joint angle for the front half of the shaft should be close to zero, whilst the diff pinion should point down a degree or two from the 2nd half of the shaft.  Anybody got any thoughts on what the angles should be?

Cheers,
Jeff

#2 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:09 AM

The angle difference between the transmission to diff should be about 1 1/2° down. Put an angle meter on the engine sump rail then check the pinion angle,difference should be 1 1/2°

#3 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

Awesome! Should be a fun drive with the T5. Absolutely love these things!

#4 DVS186

DVS186

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Name:Jon
  • Car:looking for a LJ

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:50 PM

You probably already know and have done this but the ignition switch has adjustable positioning via the slotted mounting holes so you can fine tune the ACC activation point. I did same as you years ago to get ACC working, mounted it up but still wouldn't work. Took it all apart a second time then realised when reinstalling it again you could adjust its position. Slid it down the column by about 2 mm and happy days. 

Also noticed in the pic of the gearbox conversion parts you received the front half of the tailshaft. Did you get the shaft balanced once you mated the 2 halves up? Also, check the overall length of the tailshaft as if its a touch long it can cause a vibration under load. Commodores tend to be less affected by minor tailshaft aligment problems as they have the rubber encased centre bearing which will asbosrb minor vibrations if the aligment not quite right, i.e. the alignment has to be a fair wack out to cause a vibration you can feel.

#5 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:08 AM

Awesome! Should be a fun drive with the T5. Absolutely love these things!

Thanks Mick - yeah, I love it as well.  I though about selling it several times but just couldn't... The T5 has made a massive difference to the enjoyment factor - just needs alittle more HP!  One day....

Thanks Jon.  Yes, tried adjusting before removal but the issue was that the switch would not physically move into the ACC position.  The ramp up to the ACC location had a burr on it that had to be trimmed away.

Yes, tailshaft was balanced when assembled and fits no problem.  After measuring the shaft angles and referencing the factory workshop manual, it turns out that the aligment was way out.  I had to raise the gearbox mount 6mm to get the correct angle at the front then adjust the diff pinion angle down to get a difference of 2o.  End result was a massive improvement with only a very slight vibration at low speed takeof and zero once moving.

#6 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:03 AM

Just a silly question Jeff, I know you now have the angles correct but is the phasing right, that is to say if the front uni is rotationally aligned to the rear?

Second gen Commodores (VN on) had problems with vibration on acceleration and the warranty solution was to adjust the tail shaft phasing.

#7 DVS186

DVS186

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Name:Jon
  • Car:looking for a LJ

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:50 PM

Sounds like you have it pretty close to sussed now. Could always play with the 6mm height at the gearbox and see if say 4mmm or 8mm make a difference.

Maybe also check the upper and lower trailing arm bushes aren't split/flogged causing diff to move when you put load onto it.

From left field, could also check clearance around where the extractor joins the pipes. They look like genie ones and they are real tight fit around the bellhousing area as you would know from getting the bolts back in and tight. Mind you, probably get a metallic noise with this as well rather than just straight vibration.

#8 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

Just a silly question Jeff, I know you now have the angles correct but is the phasing right, that is to say if the front uni is rotationally aligned to the rear?

Second gen Commodores (VN on) had problems with vibration on acceleration and the warranty solution was to adjust the tail shaft phasing.

The uni's are inline which seems to match what's in the factory workshop manual for a VB - VK supplement does not add any further info.  Strange thing is I looked at a V8 tailshaft I have from a VL and its uni's aren't inline.  The front is leading the rear by about 10o - no idea if it's originally like that or not.  I'll have to check my 6cyl VL as well.

Sounds like you have it pretty close to sussed now. Could always play with the 6mm height at the gearbox and see if say 4mmm or 8mm make a difference.

Maybe also check the upper and lower trailing arm bushes aren't split/flogged causing diff to move when you put load onto it.

From left field, could also check clearance around where the extractor joins the pipes. They look like genie ones and they are real tight fit around the bellhousing area as you would know from getting the bolts back in and tight. Mind you, probably get a metallic noise with this as well rather than just straight vibration.

Yeah, I was planning on playing with the angles a bit more before making the final x-member but I don't think I'd go less than 6mm to avoid flogging out the uni due to being too straight.  Just have to find the time...

Bushes in the lower arms are good - they were replaced not so long ago during a spring change and the cars been barely driven.  The newish adjustable uppers have plastic bushes.

Yes, they are the Genie two-piece header and a very tight fit indeed.  I had to remove some material from the dustcover screw bosses on the bellhousing in order to get the bellhousing to sit flush with the rear of the block.

#9 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:55 AM

I've finally finished off the conversion having received the re-covered console back from the Dashboard Doctor - they did an awesome job.

20151202_195702.jpg

A new handbrake & shifter boot and it's all back together...

20151203_194121.jpg

Now back onto the Torana.

Jeff

#10 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

I have a soft spot for the old VK Calais. 

#11 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

Very nice job

#12 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:02 PM

Looks great mate does would be nice to drive with a 5 speed now

#13 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

Looks so nice. Love the Monte Carlo style wheel in these things, big time!

#14 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:32 PM

Looks great mate does would be nice to drive with a 5 speed now

Yeah, it's a much nicer car to drive now with the 5sp - just needs a little more get up and go... One day...

Looks so nice. Love the Monte Carlo style wheel in these things, big time!

Thanks Heath.  Yes, I too love the look of the wheel and was amazed to find them available as a reproduction.  I just need to get the rest of the car up to scratch to match the flash wheel. One project at a time the good wife keeps telling me... :)

#15 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

Hows this beast traveling, i absolutely love Vks,have the same drive line for mine.Is that a Ford T5 because of the shifter postion.cheers

#16 lc2dr

lc2dr

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

It's going well... I haven't really touched it since the gearbox change except for getting a x-member made to replace the piece C-section.

Attached File  vk_xmember.jpg   266.55K   1 downloads

I'm still collecting bits 'n' pieces (+ $$$'s) for a re-paint, engine rebuild & a re-trim... Finding suitable replacement carpet is a problem though as nobody makes anything close to the Coppertone color anymore.

Yes, the gearbox is a T5Z Ford mounting patterned box which has a shorter extension housing compared to the GM variant.

#17 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

Ive been hoarding Vk hdt parts over the past 4 years,ive collected almost most parts except for the Scheel seats and the body shell.Ive stored a vn v8 manual driveline,spoiler kit and areos,just waiting for a decent white berlina with full electrics,power and air.Cant wait to build it. Hang on to that Vk its a sweet car.cheers mate.

Edited by Caustic, 18 January 2018 - 10:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users