Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:19 PM

G'day All

Yesterday we had our annual Rego Check Day for the cars in our car club and the variety never ceases to amaze me

Rego-Day-7.jpg

On left is Leyland P76, Vee Dub, Austin 1800 ute, Vauxhal 440, Austin A40 Devon, 1923 Amilcar, HJ GTS Monaro and in the front FJ Holden

In for the rego check in the Automotive TAFE rooms that our car club hires each Wednesday night for 36 nights of the year is the HJ Monaro, Corvette and my SS

Rego-Day-3.jpg

Diversity has no bounds in our car club and here is a 186S HK GTS Monaro, HJ GTS Monaro and believe it or not, the not so squeazy Mitsubishi L300 van on the left is also a club car

Rego-Day-8.jpg

Alongside the HJ Monaro was a 1923 Amilcar

Rego-Day-9.jpg

AND before they left, Bruce's wife said a prayer for a safe 1 hr drive home

Rego-Day-2.jpg

That Amilcar sure has some classic lines and note the fatties on the front and oh yes, no front brakes  :wtf:

Rego-Day-5.jpg

Doesn't this spritely 85 year old look dapper in the Corvette  :spoton:

Rego-Day-4.jpg

That's Kevin and he owns the Vauxhal 440

Great day to have the cars checked over for rego and to have a chat

Barry

#2 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:41 PM

How is that car road legal?
No front brakes, no sash on the seat belts, assuming it has lap belts! No indicators, and the headlights look like they are far to high for ADR's.

I don't mean any disrespect, but to me that is more unsafe than a modified car. I can't see how that passes a roadworthy.

#3 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:51 PM

As long as it meets the rules for the day it was built it should be fine.

Taking the line you give for this and that not being legal or safe you could draw a long bow and say any old car is not safe and should not be on the road as it does not meet current safety standards etc. The Torana not having air bags could be classed as just as unsafe compared to a current production car.

Adding any of the mentioned safety drivel to that car would spoil it, and devalue it, and without proper crash testing the added safety features would be only a questionable guess at best as to their effectiveness.

Enjoy it for what it is and marvel at how far things have come is only a short while...

#4 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

Australian Design Rules for motor vehicles didn't become law until January 1st 1969

Before that it was whatever the manufacturers thought would sell cars that got fitted, seat belts were actually very unpopular when first suggested.

Obviously that car only needs to be basically operational as the factory intended, there's no law that says he has to update his braking system or anything else.

#5 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:09 PM

See your point, and they are good points.
I still say set belts and indicators are a must.
If the seatbelts aren't there, it's a drivers or passengers choice to be in it.
Indicators though, that's different. That's letting others know your intentions to keep all involved safe.

Regardless of how it was originally built certain things should be installed.
If that car doesn't have brake lights as an example (I have no idea) they should be installed. The safety items of a new car are for your and your passengers safety, the items I'm talking about are for the safety of others.

#6 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

If I ride an old motor bike built the same year, 1923, I still MUST by law, wear a helmet. And a modern day safety standards helmet at that. Not a leather cap!

Sorry, and I'm not trying to fire up an argument, it's just the way I see it

#7 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:15 PM

How is that car road legal?
No front brakes, no sash on the seat belts, assuming it has lap belts! No indicators, and the headlights look like they are far to high for ADR's.

I don't mean any disrespect, but to me that is more unsafe than a modified car. I can't see how that passes a roadworthy.

The car is road legal because it is on "H" plates (Historic)

It is, as it was made back in 1923

When I had my LC GTR, I had front seat belts but back seat belts for that year car was not a standard fitting

I did however get a set of back seat belts for it so that any passengers in the back would be a bit more safer with them on

Most clubs will not allow modifications to the cars unless it was available at that time but I believe most will allow for the fitting of better brakes as the early model cars like the A Model Ford only had mechanical brakes

Shock! Horror! I did own a 1928 A Model Tudor and the brakes were crap and I did not fit hydraulic brakes to it although my club in Wollongong at that time would have allowed it

You will probably find that people like Bruce who have a magnificent car like the 1923 Amilcar, know the capabilities of that car and drive it accordingly

And as far as not having indicators, Bruce uses the old fashion hand signals as people did in the days before indicators

Most will leave their cars as per year built and drive them with respect to both the car and the driver's capability

Barry

#8 _SRV_

_SRV_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:26 PM

Well said Barry.

LS2 Hatch, if you're not trying to fire up an argument you'd be best to stop. The FJ Holden in the pictures would have had no seatbelts or indicators fitted to it when new either, and it's the owners choice if they want to fit them or not. Mandatory fitting of modern safety features to all older vehicles is the sort of nanny-state carry on nonsense that would lead to the banning of all older vehicles from the road altogether. Many historic vehicle owners do fit indicators to their vehicles these days because most road users have become far too stupid to understand something as simple as hand signals, yet can't use their own indicators correctly.

Edited by SRV, 30 November 2015 - 11:28 PM.

#9 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:44 PM

So I'm guessing Bruce and his wife live about 10k's from the club?

Can't imagine the Amilcar would go too fast.

#10 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:11 AM

Fair enough guys. I will tale the subtle hint to shut up.

The car is awsome and I am far from trying to take away from that.
I honestly thought there was a minimum requirement regardless of the year of manufacture. Seems I am incorrect.

Thanks for the responses and sorry to Barry for taking the thread sideways.

There are some very different and unique cars there Barry, a credit to your Club

#11 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:45 AM

What was the actual meaning of this day? A rego check day? What exactly is that? Does someone from the department of transport attend this?

Edited by hanra, 01 December 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#12 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:29 AM

I believe those who live across the border need to do the equivilant of a Queensland road worthy every year.

Barry and Co use the Tafe facilities to go over their cars before going to the nearest inspection joint.

#13 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:14 AM

Here's one for ya. . My grandfather's old 1910 Sunbeam which was left to my uncle when he passed away on 1979. Pop restored it in the late 50's and went on numerous veteran car club rallies all around Australia up until he died. Foot brake works on a transmission brake same as a Landcruiser hand brake. Handbrake works on the rear drums. On our modern roads if you hit the foot brake too hard it will rip the teeth from the crownwheel and pinion! No indicators brake lights or electric lights, it runs acetylene headlights.

We are fitting discreet led indicators and brake lights to it very soon. Top speed about 80kph as it has a twin cam crossflow engine, still side valve though, design known as a "T" head. Engine performance far outstrips braking performance!

20151125_133526_zps43t2f60e.jpg

1448425621327_zpszl744wi0.jpg

1448425533715_zpsruqhxq6y.jpg

Edited by Redzone, 01 December 2015 - 09:16 AM.

#14 _grumpy 026_

_grumpy 026_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:54 AM

Brad,

Part of  owning a car on H plates in NSW requires Clubs (which must be registered by the RMS), to hold a club car rego check day.

Cars must meet the requirements as outline under " Historic" definition and be safety checked by  persons such as the clubs "registrar"

Very much the same as a Road worth for moderns. 

G.

#15 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

They do a similar thing with old car clubs in qld

#16 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:59 PM

None of the car clubs Im in do anything like this? They confirm its 30+ yrs old and thats about it.

#17 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

Brad,

Part of  owning a car on H plates in NSW requires Clubs (which must be registered by the RMS), to hold a club car rego check day.

Cars must meet the requirements as outline under " Historic" definition and be safety checked by  persons such as the clubs "registrar"

Very much the same as a Road worth for moderns. 

G.

Exacto mondo Graham

Our inspectors are club members but they do have qualifications like 2 are rego inspectors, one was a Holden mechanic for over 25 years etc

In our car club, if your car is 30 years or more older and can pass the mechanical and body inspection then it its deemed to be fit for H plates

I can guarantee you that there are no "mates rates" or favours for mates with the inspections ie No bombs on the road that may be unfit to be on the road

When a car needs H plates renewal and it is not near the Rego Day then there are 2 inspectors that do the check and or the car is taken up to TAFE on one of our club Wednesday nights where there is always inspectors there

I believe our car club is the only car club in NSW that hires TAFE automotive rooms so that club members can repair, maintain or in one case, restore a veteran Douglas motor bike

2 semesters (ie 2 x 18 nights) at $100 per semester and if you can't get $200 value out of that with 2 hoists, lathe, wheel alignment, balancing and removal machines, small sand blaster unit, cleaning station etc etc then you are not trying or may be you like to chat too much  :spoton:

Great veteran car Dave  :spoton:

AND no Dave, cars do not need to go to nearest inspection joint, our rego checks are just that and cars are then cleared for owners to go to the RMS to pay the H plate fee

You must take the inspection certificate signed, proof that you are a member of a registered car club (club membership payment receipt) and your renewal rego papers

Barry

#18 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:10 PM

None of the car clubs Im in do anything like this? They confirm its 30+ yrs old and thats about it.

I'm not sure if it's a legal requirement but the scacc does it, I don't think it's every year though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users