Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Car:1976 LX SL Coupe

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Thanks Matty, it sure is!

Holdenbn74 - is it more difficult to fit the outrigger bushes to the k Frame with the front end like that? was a treat to get it to all fit the other way around fitting the k-frame to the chassis. Definitly be giving it a go when it is time to put the engine in.

#77 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Car:hatch

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:19 AM

hey christo,

just been over the top of your build thread mate.... looking good and i will be following...nice work! i see a lot of familiar rust repair spots and the right kind of work happening in this thread

and also good to see another perth hatch happening

#78 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

Thanks Jonesy! yea, unfortunatley no matter how well they were cared for after 40 years they all seem to rust in the same spots. Hopefully some big progress coming up soon!

#79 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

Edited by jonesy, 07 May 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#80 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

fail.!!!.. throwing photos in the wrong thread. hahhah

Edited by jonesy, 07 May 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#81 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

So i know i have been a bit quiet on here, but i have been patiently waiting for parts to arrive from the US. Finally got my M22z Ultra Wide Ratio box all the way from Midwest Muncie in Wisconsin USA. I was very close to going the Auto route, but really had my heart set on a manual as i love the A9X as a track car and i wanted to keep the nostalgia and time period feel to the car, so decided that a strong 4 speed behind a SBC was the combination for me. From the information i received from Jeff Collins at Midwest Muncie, they are built strong with the Autogear Case and Italian gears and i am told the 500hp i am chasing will be fairly conservative for the strength of the box.  Going to love that Rockcrusher whine! 

One small step forward...

Attached File  20170513_185924.jpg   254.81K   25 downloads

#82 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

NICE! Very "old school"...

If it's not a rude question, how much did that little package set you back?

#83 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:17 AM

Thanks mate, yep very old school.

ah not rude at all. Set me back just over 5k delivered to Aus with Hurst Shifter. I understand it's not cheap, but i believe in doing things right once and i hope it will stand the test of time!

#84 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

The case looks way improved from the T10 I bought a couple years ago, can't get over how little they weigh to the 5 and 6 speeds. With good mods to the shifter linkages, you don't need to modify the tunnel! Just run the inboard of the selectors.

#85 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

Looks to be great quality, i'm pretty impressed with it. Tunnel is already chopped up a fair bit due to the muppet who installed the 3 speed, did a terrible hack job, so will likely make a tunnel patch that will fit the shifter linkages. Thanks myss427 that's good to know.

#86 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

So i know i have been a bit quiet on here, but i have been patiently waiting for parts to arrive from the US. Finally got my M22z Ultra Wide Ratio box all the way from Midwest Muncie in Wisconsin USA. I was very close to going the Auto route, but really had my heart set on a manual as i love the A9X as a track car and i wanted to keep the nostalgia and time period feel to the car, so decided that a strong 4 speed behind a SBC was the combination for me. From the information i received from Jeff Collins at Midwest Muncie, they are built strong with the Autogear Case and Italian gears and i am told the 500hp i am chasing will be fairly conservative for the strength of the box.  Going to love that Rockcrusher whine! 

even small steps are still steps forward...nice box!

Edited by jonesy, 21 May 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#87 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words jonesy. Just ordered an aluminum #621 bellhousing and Centreforce dual friction clutch and Hurst Competition Plus Shifter. Bank account isn't to happy, but i hope i will be!

#88 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words jonesy. Just ordered an aluminum #621 bellhousing and Centreforce dual friction clutch and Hurst Competition Plus Shifter. Bank account isn't to happy, but i hope i will be!

Just check with your clutch pressure plate clears your hydraulic throwout bearing, they go very close some touch (quick time style touch). I use the DFX centre force with T56 bearing and was not an issue, putting the dual friction setup in A9X with the Quicktime touched the stud it slides on.

#89 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

Thanks myss427, I have not yet purchased a hydraulic throwout bearing to suit, I'll make sure to consider that when the bellhousing arrives.

#90 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

actually Bigfella237 - I lied...the Hurst Competition Plus shifter/Install kit is almost costing me $1000 AU by the time it ends up here. I originally underestimate the cost. I cannot believe a shifter costs that much! it is mind blowing considering what it is!!! :tease:

#91 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

Ouch!

Still... 70c on the dollar doesn't help?

#92 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:49 PM

doesn't seem to help much! Actually i think the dollar is doing well today 72c. Think i should be able to source it from Jegs on Ebay for a bit cheaper as it avoids import tax through their online distribution centre.

#93 Covert

Covert

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Car:LH

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

Great choice Chris. :spoton:  I'm also wanting to import one of these boxes when i get up to that stage in my build. Keen to see how the install goes for ya. 

#94 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:07 PM

Thanks Covert, I think they are a solid purchase!

Another quick update, i have been tracking down more parts for the build. Slowly stockpiling it all in my spare room haha 

Managed to get my hands on a set of custom 4 into 1 headers which i have been told fit to a SBC in a Torana. 43mm primaries to 3" collectors. I'm hoping they do the trick. TAP stamped on them...apparently a bloke named Shaun Tapping made them up, but that is about all i know. 

Attached File  20170521_182902.jpg   278.75K   22 downloads

#95 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:11 PM

Also managed to source a GM stamped aluminium #621 Bellhousing from Vetteparts to suit the Muncie with 11" clutch. There was a few cheaper options, but i found they were stamped CM which apparently means that they do not have the same quality assurance standard. It looks to be a good casting in my opinion, same as the M22. 

Attached File  20170602_193617.jpg   188.22K   22 downloads

#96 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

Tapping = Tapper

Mixed reports... trial fit them before you fall in love with them

#97 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

aghh...cheers Datto! not what i wanted to hear.... 

#98 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:01 PM

So just a heads up for anyone wanting to use an Autogear Cased M22. The Hurst shifter installation kit to suit  the fitment into a Torana (1969 camaro shifter kit) is part no. 373-7437. However because the kit is made to fit the older original Camaro M22 and the aftermarket Autogear case uses a larger 32 spline tail shaft/ tail housing you also need to order a specialty shifter mount from Hurst to suit (SKU: 1950164-453) Slight difference in mounting positions. Had me stumped for a minute, so just thought i would share for anyone wanting to go down the same route. 

Attached File  20170720_195444.jpg   233.33K   18 downloads

#99 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:10 PM

Hurst Shifter Kit all installed. Turns out due to the thick moly assembly lube, i can only select 4th and neutral. Jeff states the is due to the assembly lube holding the brass ring to the gear cone and says it will mix with a quart of Brad Penn GL-4 80w-90 gear oil and free up with use (hope he is correct). Just have to get the motor and diff sorted and can start fitting up the running gear and making some real progress!

Attached File  20170802_200830.jpg   209.45K   22 downloads

#100 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:44 PM

Attached File  20170726_181158.jpg   275.82K   17 downloads

Purchased some AFR 195cc Eliminator Street Heads for the SBC build. From what i have heard they will be perfect for the job and perhaps future plans. I have decided to stick with the std displacement for now and spread funds to other important parts of the build Eg. 9" Diff instead of building the 383 I had originally intended to. It's amazing how quickly a build budget stretches out.

I have sourced a SBC which had a cam with a broken lobe that i picked up fairly cheap, which had lots of usable bits (from a HQ) starter, carb, sump, pistons & rods. Block is 0.30 over, 2 bolt mains and is from a 73 Chevelle, looks very clean & the bore is sweet so the plan is to do a bit of a budget build, replacing the current damaged cam with a Comp Cams XE274 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam 230/236, with split ratio Scorpion Roller Rockers, polished Std Crank & std Rods with ARP Bolts, Hypereutectic pistons and the Classic Holley 650 CFM Vac Secondaries carb that came on the motor. I know it is nothing too flash, but Phil at Chev Power is currently building the motor and thinks it will be a fairly stout little street motor (hoping for a bit over 400hp on the engine dyno. I think going down this route (middle ground) will hopefully get the car on the road sooner, be easier to pass over the pits and to be honest will likely still meet my needs in terms of power until i learn the car's characteristics. I'm feeling pretty positive that everything is starting to move forward. Stay tuned...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users