T56 TR6060

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _Hazard_

_Hazard_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

I know the T56 conversion has been covered extensively on here but does anyone have any knowledge on fitting a TR6060 out of VE-VF commodores. I know one problem with the T56 was the shifter sits too far back and requires a different extension to fit as close as original but the TR6060's which are apparently are a better box have an external linkage setup for the Commodores which places the shifter back. My questions are: there's a shifter available which puts the shifter directly in the top of the box which puts it in very close to the right spot in the car, has anyone tried this conversion? If so I have a few questions and would like some advise, if not I'll give it a crack and be the Guinea pig. Cheers

#2 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

I have a VE 6 speed box here if needed ,I went with the Magnum box

#3 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:39 AM

I've got a T56 sitting on the floor. I can get some measurements for from the front of the bellhousing if you want to try work it out.
I actually think if you use the shifter straight in the top of the box it will come close. You deffinately won't need to cut the floor brace put it that way.

#4 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:02 AM

If you use the T56magnum extension housing there wouldn't be any shifter issues and you have the choice of using the mechanical speedo cable or electronic pick up if needed. I use both, cable for the speedo and the electronic pick up for the ECM input.

Although the extension housing will get very close to the floor brace a couple of small dents in it and a couple more in the floor will see a reasonable drive shaft angle. My shifter comes through the floor just in front of the floor brace, so I didn't have to cut and reinforce this area. My shifter lines up smack in the middle of the centre console.

I'm not sure what a magnum extension housing is worth but it might not be that much difference compared to buying an aftermarket shifter assembly and try and make it fit. I think from memory the plate on top of the commodore T56 for a top mount shifter is a bit to far forward for a Torana especially if you intend on running a standard Torana console

#5 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:23 AM

Dug up a photo of my Magnum box. You can see the shift housing in red. The shifter top housing can also be spun around 180 degrees' if you want to move the shift position around 4" forward, but the rear position suited me best and the shifter lined up in the centre of the Torana console.

Attached Files

#6 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

axistr, what sway bar is that you are using?
I'm not using one at all at the moment, I didn't think I could get a rear one to fit, and I have been too slack to buy a front one.

#7 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

I think he bent the standard one to suit ,but I am sure he we let you know

#8 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

As above Grant, cold bent the bar to suit, it's not hard to do.

#9 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Car:LH SLR5000

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

I have a TR6060 and ls3 in my 74 LH 4 door..... its a big box that will require tunnel mods, its very bulky around rear housing unlike the Magnum box so that was an issue for tunnel /floor brace, also tight around front of tunnel.

Anyway my tunnel has been modded....i cut the tunnel out of a VE wreck and welded in. 

Not sure what shifter can be used, but i cut and shut the standard shiftter brace and linkages to get correct position.

I started out with a 3.55 rear diff....first is really short so its pretty useless and a 3.55 made 100Kmph in 6th ~1200 rpm....too low for the cam i'm using so it was shit couldn't use 6th until 120Kmph.

Installed 4.11 diff now and  i can use 6th nicely ~1600rpm @100Kmph but i think the ratio's are still shit.....its basically a 5 speed because there no use using 1st anywhere and now i have a stupid short 2,3,4 and huge jump 5 6.

As far as shift feel goes etc its agricultural for a modern box and with-out all the sound deadening and rubber couplings a VE has its noisey as shit.....apparently a common complaint in VE's as well.

TR6060 also has no slip yoke, so you have to get a tail shaft build with a slip in it like a 4wd and then use a alloy coupling/adapter on the back of the box, not much more expensive than getting a decnet tail shaft made but its a bit of a fudge....;only thing going for the TR6060 is they are cheap as shit, i paid less han $1k for mine but if i did it again i would just use a TKO 5 speed and you would have a nicer ratio set.

#10 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

The Magnum box is a close ratio and is perfect with my 3.7 ratio and 17" wheels.

#11 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

I'm running the TUET6000 and the ratios are fine. I can use every gear no dramas with 4:11's and 17" wheels. I'm actually getting another diff built now with 4:33 and still expect to use first no stress. (smashed my old diff that's why the new one, otherwise would still have the 4:11's)

#12 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Car:LH SLR5000

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:15 PM

Hmm guess the issue is the VE SS box i have has the following ratio's ;

1st: 3.01
2nd: 2.07
3rd: 1.43
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.84
6th: 0.57
R: 3.28

Where as your TUET6000 has ;

Oh well lesson learnt....stay away from VE TR6060 if you have a bit of HP... 

#13 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name:Adrian Haynes
  • Car:1974 LH

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

Can you go with a cable clutch set up with the TR6060 or is it easier jus to retain the original set up from the VE? I have a whole car I'm getting the running gear from and being a bit old school I'm not sure how the clutch set up will work best?

#14 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

I run a 6 speed, not the tremec tho.
No way was it going to get close to a decent angle without chopping the tunnel.
Used to use a TKO, even that required tunnel mods, can make them work for highway use, but at high speed, vibrations were norm.
other targa toranas had to do same mods.

As for the ve 6 speed noise, i forgot about that, have 2 ve's i work on.
with carpet removed they have alot of, what they call, rollover noise, very common, almost sounds like a shagged input shaft bearing.
As for strength the ve 6 speed, its done about 25k kms of race miles with 470rwhp in a 2 ton car, has been good to us so far.

Edited by ozyozyozy, 28 January 2017 - 11:45 PM.

#15 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

Can you go with a cable clutch set up with the TR6060 ~

Don't quote me on this but I think (at least some) Fords used the TR6060 with a cable clutch, Mustang maybe?

This is based on the fact that the T56 Magnum is available in two different configurations, one for GM (with hydraulic clutches) and another for Ford (with mechanical clutches)...

Tremec_T56_Magnum.jpg

#16 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

If you change the through out set up to a better quality unit & run dash 3 braided lines, there's nothing wrong with the hydraulic clutch idea they run from gmh. Mal wood supplies them.

#17 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:47 PM

I think xr6 turbo & v8 fg runs the t56 by memory, maybe the last of bf mark 2 ?

#18 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

I have a TR6060 and ls3 in my 74 LH 4 door..... its a big box that will require tunnel mods, its very bulky around rear housing unlike the Magnum box so that was an issue for tunnel /floor brace, also tight around front of tunnel.

Anyway my tunnel has been modded....i cut the tunnel out of a VE wreck and welded in. 

Not sure what shifter can be used, but i cut and shut the standard shiftter brace and linkages to get correct position.

I started out with a 3.55 rear diff....first is really short so its pretty useless and a 3.55 made 100Kmph in 6th ~1200 rpm....too low for the cam i'm using so it was shit couldn't use 6th until 120Kmph.

Installed 4.11 diff now and  i can use 6th nicely ~1600rpm @100Kmph but i think the ratio's are still shit.....its basically a 5 speed because there no use using 1st anywhere and now i have a stupid short 2,3,4 and huge jump 5 6.

As far as shift feel goes etc its agricultural for a modern box and with-out all the sound deadening and rubber couplings a VE has its noisey as shit.....apparently a common complaint in VE's as well.

TR6060 also has no slip yoke, so you have to get a tail shaft build with a slip in it like a 4wd and then use a alloy coupling/adapter on the back of the box, not much more expensive than getting a decnet tail shaft made but its a bit of a fudge....;only thing going for the TR6060 is they are cheap as shit, i paid less han $1k for mine but if i did it again i would just use a TKO 5 speed and you would have a nicer ratio set.

Mate do you have any photos of the mod work you did to your tunnel to fit the box?
I am about to embark on this exact task and would be interested to see what you needed to cut out.
Thanks in advance.

#19 TUFFLXwa

TUFFLXwa

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Name:Jeremy
  • Car:LX Sedan

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

My car has a 6060 and a l98 out of a Ve ute. This is the tunnel and shifter set up that Cronic Customs have built.

Attached Files

#20 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

My car has a 6060 and a l98 out of a Ve ute. This is the tunnel and shifter set up that Cronic Customs have built.

Mate I really appreciate that photo. Very interesting. Have they braced it underneath where they have had to cut the floor brace out?
I've cut mine then raised it and re braced it into two sections then welded it all together so it is fundamentally braced the same was but all been raised high enough for flange and Tailshaft clearance. Yours looks excellent.

#21 TUFFLXwa

TUFFLXwa

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

The crossmember part of the original tunnel has been cut out and the new gearbox crossmember-tail shaft loop will replace the strength.

Attached Files

#22 TUFFLXwa

TUFFLXwa

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

Under the car. No gearbox cross member

Attached Files

#23 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

Jeremy has your column got lowering spacers and if yes what is the advantage?
Comfy wheel height?

#24 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:41 PM

I have the TUET6000 and a short extension housing from Mal Wood and didn't have to cut the floor brace but did need a taller tunnel, sorry the pics aren't great

Attached File  P1090726.JPG   149.4K   19 downloads

Attached File  P1100920.JPG   159.59K   15 downloads

#25 TUFFLXwa

TUFFLXwa

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:56 PM

Tom, the colum is in the original spot. The wilwood pedal set up needed more room so I cut out all the tin work under the dash and made up a mount that gave more room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users