T O R A N A nosecone letters

letters badfge LH nosecone boootlid

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 _LH1975_

_LH1975_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:47 AM

My LH Torana (1975) had some rust taken out of the nosecone a few years back and the guy that did the work filled up the badge letter holes on the nose cone, ground the pins off the letters and glued them back (an inch to high!).

I'm getting a re-spray done at the moment and looking to put the letters back where nature intended and with the pins / holes.

I looked at the Rarespares letters and they were not very good copies in my opinion, so have sourced some original letters and cleaned / repainted them.

All good until I noticed that the "A" comes in two varieties. And with 2 x "A"s in T-O-R-A-N-A I'm trying to find out if the "A"s are different to each other and which one goes where? 

One is thicket than the other and has a different casting pattern on the rear profile. The thicker "A" is about 1 mm thicker but and the fixing pins look thicker too. Otherwise they look the same. 

Anyone that can help answer this - ie are they different part numbers ? as there seems to be one of each in the sets I have?

Any help appreciated.

LH 1975

#2 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:03 AM

Which "A" looks the same as the other letters shape/size I would be using that and chasing up another one

#3 _LH1975_

_LH1975_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

Hi Kev,

I have both types , but looking to hear if there are meant to be two different "A's" or not.

As you suggest, I will stick with 2 of the same if there is no more information to show that is not intentional.

Cheers.

#4 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:15 PM

There is 2 different fixing methods depending on build date, this could account for the different letters , mine 4/74 LH uses plastic inserts, and the letter pins are 2.5mm, I had to make the inserts on a model lathe, on latter LH the fixing method is a metal clip, these have a thicker pin as I tried one of these and it was very loose on my letters

#5 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

Just went and checked mine on the car both "A" are the same
hope that helps and the "A" match al the other letters

#6 _LH1975_

_LH1975_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the replies. I can see that one of the "A"s has the shorter thicker pins (this is also the thicker "A"), and the other has longer thinner pins. All the other letters have the longer thinner pins.

Looking at the set the Rarespares sells which has T-O-R-A-N-A it has one of each of these "A"s in its set.

The set of letters that I took of my car , which had the pins ground off also has one of each of these "A"s. 

Most of the original sets on e-bay that have photos showing the back appear to also have one of each of the "A"s. 

I'm still thinking that there are meant to be 2 different "A"s in each set for some reason, but have no proof and not sure which is meant to be the first "A" or 2nd "A".

I know it sounds trivial but as I'm going to the trouble of an original restoration, I would like to get the badging right too.

Thanks,

LH1975 

#7 _LH1975_

_LH1975_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

As my nosecone has had its holes filled previously, I will need to re-drill them, however, if someone has a nosecone with the badges off and holes in place , you may be able to tell me which "A" has the bigger holes, or if they are the same?

#8 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

All good until I noticed that the "A" comes in two varieties. And with 2 x "A"s in T-O-R-A-N-A I'm trying to find out if the "A"s are different to each other and which one goes where? 

Could it be one of the A's is from an LX?

The LX has the letters bunched up tight on the passenger side of the front apron, so they may be different to LH, which as you know has them spread across the centre of the front apron.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 12 January 2016 - 02:08 PM.

#9 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:46 PM

Both A's are the same on mine. (LH)

#10 _LH1975_

_LH1975_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

The "A"'s look identical from the front, it is the thickness of the blacked out stand off that is thicker by ± 0.5 mm on the one with the thicker / shorter pins. The casting profile on the back is different too.

I have put in a query with RSP too, as the packs they sell have one of each of the "A"'s in the pack. I cant see why they would go to the trouble of making two "A'

s unless there was a reason?

They are going to the R&D guys to hopefully shed some light! 

The "A"'s look identical from the front, it is the thickness of the blacked out stand off that is thicker by ± 0.5 mm on the one with the thicker / shorter pins. The casting profile on the back is different too.

I have put in a query with RSP too, as the packs they sell have one of each of the "A"'s in the pack. I cant see why they would go to the trouble of making two "A'

s unless there was a reason?

They are going to the R&D guys to hopefully shed some light! 

#11 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:44 PM

I cant see why they would go to the trouble of making two A's unless there was a reason?

Rather than waste money rebranding them LH and LX; they want you to buy two packs so you get both A's.

;)

j/k

s

#12 _LH1975_

_LH1975_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

I have spoken to a few guys at Rarespares, but unable to answer the question of why two different "A"'s at this stage.

Here are some photos to show the differences.

if anyone has an original LH )(at least nosecone / botlid badges not been tampered with) coudl they please go and have a look and see if they can see if they have the two different "A"s and which one is located where in the word TORANA.

Thanks,

Christian

Attached Files

#13 _dno_

_dno_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

You may have a "A" from a valiant badge or similar.

https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=696

#14 CYCO355

CYCO355

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:G PAK and a LH sl, VS Senator, VE SSV sedan

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

39AB86A5-EC42-4A1A-8EEC-A7129DEBCF58.jpg902AB71E-3A0E-4131-A204-0AC72E2AE14E.jpgF375E982-BB59-41EC-B021-D5497B293B2C.jpg

#15 CYCO355

CYCO355

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:G PAK and a LH sl, VS Senator, VE SSV sedan

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

I found an odd A on a nose cone I have
872FA4EE-89A6-47B3-83C6-F3B0C370EEB6.jpgA8F533C2-3A2C-4982-98A1-90CE8044F29C.jpg1B6CE0E9-D24C-4F2C-ABE2-4418060706D5.jpg
It was just inserted in one of the holes and with a bit of glue

#16 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

I have spoken to a few guys at Rarespares, but unable to answer the question of why two different "A"'s at this stage.

Here are some photos to show the differences.

if anyone has an original LH )(at least nosecone / botlid badges not been tampered with) coudl they please go and have a look and see if they can see if they have the two different "A"s and which one is located where in the word TORANA.

Thanks,

Christian

I noticed in your pics they both have part numbers on the back.

The A on the left, the part number looks like 2823921.

The A on the right, the part number looks like 2823???.

Edited by S pack, 23 January 2016 - 04:36 PM.

#17 _LH1975_

_LH1975_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:36 PM

Unfortunately I cannot read the last digits as the casting is a bit damaged right on the numbers!

Initially I thought that the two different "A"s might have just been manufacturer variations on the same part number (poor tolerances / or different suppliers) but then when I bought the Rarespares letters they had one of each "A" in the pack, which has me stumped, as it would cost them more to set up and produce two different "A"s unless it was intended to be that way.

Anyway, I am still in pursuit of the answer to the TORANA "A"'s but suspect it may remain one of those mysteries as even Rarespares who went to the trouble of putting one of each in the pack cant tell me why!  

#18 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:10 PM

Surely someone with an LH Torana parts catalogue can look up the part numbers for these letters to confirm one way or the other?

#19 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:39 PM

Only one A listed.

Attached Files

#20 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:22 AM

^ that solves it for the LH; the same A is used. I'm wondering if they used the same die and just moulded twice as many A's or if they had an additional die for the extra A.

Are the part numbers the same for LX?

s

#21 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

There is 2 different fixing methods depending on build date, this could account for the different letters , mine 4/74 LH uses plastic inserts, and the letter pins are 2.5mm, I had to make the inserts on a model lathe, on latter LH the fixing method is a metal clip, these have a thicker pin as I tried one of these and it was very loose on my letters

Muzzy might be onto something.

#22 _LH1975_

_LH1975_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

Thanks that does answer the question for LH.

Look like there may have been two OEM suppliers as there is a slightly different version of the A in circulation. 

I will use same "A"'s on my car and also let Rarespares know that the pack they are selling has this issue. ie they are supplying two different "A" which means you need to buy two packs from them if you want matching "A"'s which is the way that they came out with.

Maybe this is why they have not been able to answer my question despite numerous calls / emails. They have spent more money than required to produce the two different "A"'s, have supplied clip's that work for all the letters except the odd "A" and ultimately have produced a product that you cannot install, is incorrect.

This forum has been a great help and everyone's help is much appreciated, I will plan to return the help where I can on other forum postings.

#23 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

Look like there may have been two OEM suppliers as there is a slightly different version of the A in circulation.

Which begs the question; why is Rare's using two different A's?

Are they getting them from two different suppliers?

Complain to Rare's telling them they should be using the best A's and not have one dodgy A in their packs and ask them for a good A to complete your set.

s

#24 Dasman56

Dasman56

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

I have a couple of nose cones at home. One has Both A's matching ( centred Raised A ) and the other one has one of each. Is it possible that the original casting moulds had variations in them, and that rare spares have made there's off the original moulds.

#25 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:35 PM

I will use same "A"'s on my car and also let Rarespares know that the pack they are selling has this issue. ie they are supplying two different "A" which means you need to buy two packs from them if you want matching "A"'s which is the way that they came out with.

Maybe this is why they have not been able to answer my question despite numerous calls / emails. They have spent more money than required to produce the two different "A"'s, have supplied clip's that work for all the letters except the odd "A" and ultimately have produced a product that you cannot install, is incorrect.

This forum has been a great help and everyone's help is much appreciated, I will plan to return the help where I can on other forum postings.

If what Muzzy has said is correct then there should be full sets of both short thick pin and long skinny pin T O R A N A letters in circulation.

It is possible that even though the physical properties of the letters and the mounting plugs changed, the replacement part numbers may have stayed the same.

I'll bet both types of A have the same part number.

Edited by S pack, 25 January 2016 - 10:36 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: letters, badfge, LH, nosecone, boootlid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users