StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:45 PM

One has Both A's matching (centred Raised A ) and the other one has one of each. Is it possible that the original casting moulds had variations in them, and that rare spares have made there's off the original moulds.

Are they LH or LX front aprons?

Are you 100% sure these are originals and were not replaced at any point?

s

#27 _LH1975_

_LH1975_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:45 PM

I think Cameron who posted on the 23rd had two thick "A"'s with short pins but didn't see the other letters. From what I have seen so far, including my collection of letters, I have only seen the "A" come in an alternative design. The backside die pattern, the thickness and the pins are all different. So not sure where or why these were made so different, however, it seems clear now that I have seen the catalogue and there is only 1 "A" listed in the part numbers that it was intended for all the letters to be the same thickness and pin lengths. I think Rare Spares might have just taken the letters of their donor car and copied them, but their R&D dept cannot confirm or deny this as they have not responded. Either way if you buy their pack you get two different "A"'s which isn't really right, woudl have cost them more to make, instesd of just making double the amount of same "A"'s and also the clips they supply don't fit for the "A" with the short pins so you cant install that "A" with what come's in the pack.

Now where or why the "rogue" "A''s came from is still an unsolved mystery! 

#28 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

I have a couple of nose cones at home. One has Both A's matching ( centred Raised A ) and the other one has one of each. Is it possible that the original casting moulds had variations in them, and that rare spares have made there's off the original moulds.

I checked mine today all the same, the only letter I have replaced is the "O" all the others are original, this is where I ran into trouble as the O pins are a different diameter

Attached Files

#29 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

the only letter I have replaced is the "O" all the others are original, this is where I ran into trouble as the O pins are a different diameter

Not 100% but I think I've read somewhere else on this forum about the different O's?

As for the different pins, it may be an LH vs. LX thing.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 26 January 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#30 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

I was having a bit of a think and I think the answer may be poor quality control.

I've worked in injection moulding before and one die often produces multiples of the same object; so for each pressing you get say, 4 badges. This saves production time. If Holden wanted a large quantity of Torana letters it's likely there'd be more than one set per die and prior to CAD, tolerances weren't as strict as they are these days so you could have say, 4 different versions of the same letters.

I'm not sure how many sets per die the repro co. used but my guess is there is one set of letters per pressing rather than individually pressed letters. It could be there's a dodgy A in the die or they've thrown in some duds from a dodgy pressing into the batch.

My guess is the QA person 'passed' the dodgy A (there may be more than one out there) and put it or them into packs with regular A's hoping nobody would notice.

You may have just been lumbered with a dodgy casting. I'd take it back to Rares and ask for a replacement set and see if the letters are the same in another random pack.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 28 January 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#31 Dasman56

Dasman56

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

That's exactly what I think too!

#32 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:00 AM

Also, Rare Spares bought a lot of the original presses and tooling back when they first started up. The odd letter A that they are producing may be coming from the tool that cast the original odd one.

#33 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

I think I may have some around from My L34 so I will see if I can find them and see what the originals may have been.

peter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: letters, badfge, LH, nosecone, boootlid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users