Photo

Is my new LC boot seal the right way around?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LC GTR

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Hi all,

I put my Rares boot seal on but the damn thing doesn't close and doesn't even look like wanting to close.  Prior to the seal the boot was adjusted so the lines and height were perfect.

Can someone please let me know if I have put the seal on backwards before I start adjusting the catch.  

Read a few posts on this site, and difficulty in shutting the boot with an aftermarket seal seems to be a common problem.  Just wondering if I have it the wrong way around though.  

When I looked at the instructions Rares provided and the generic diagram, I thought I had it the right way but now that it's on I'm starting to doubt it.  

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

#2 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:1969 LC

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   118.64K   1 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   172.26K   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   158.05K   0 downloads

#3 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:1969 LC

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

I'd say mine looks like the rare spares picture, and yours seems to match. Very hard to tell.

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:24 PM

Steve, you have installed the boot seal correctly. My boot lid wouldn't close with the Rares weather seal (circa 1996) so I put the original back on.

#5 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:59 AM

Would the magic spray work Dave.?

Surely Rares would have improved there design somewhat through all the complaints they would of had.

maybe you got one out of a bad batch  Steve.

#6 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:36 AM

I have the "supposidley " new design boot seal.. way thinner than the older version.. I am yet to fit. The first one was way too fat.. The newer version is very close to original size...

#7 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:05 AM

I fitted a Rares seal recently. No matter what adjustments I made I still need to close my boot with considerable force. Sits slightly too high also.

#8 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the pics Tony very much appreciated.  It actually highlights that the seal profile on the rares boot seal is quite different to the original seal.  To me looking at your boot seal it actually looks like mine is the wrong way around.

Thanks Dave, that's good news if I fit it the right way but bad news, if it's not going to work.  Don't have my old boot seal which is a shame.

Cheers Mike yeah I purchased mine around July 2015, not sure if it's an older or newer design.  

Thanks for all the responses guy's it doesn't sound like I'm going to have much success with it. I will have to check with my local Rares rep and see if I have the latest design.  If I do I might have to try flipping it around and see if it closes any better and still seals.

Just another hassle that we don't need.

#9 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

PM Les or Edan they will sort you out.

#10 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:33 AM

Ok cool thanks Phillip.

#11 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hi all,

In response to the boot seal query in this thread we did a comparative test this morning on one of the cars at our R&D building. We will post the video up shortly

Kind Regards
Edan Miller
RARE SPARES

Edited by Edan, 14 January 2016 - 04:07 PM.

#12 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

We tested Rare Spares seal part no.: RBS1015 on a LH Torana this morning, this should not affect outcome as this boot seal suits LC LJ LH LX UC.

ljv8, it appears potentially you may have your seal the opposite way around but it's hard to tell from the pictures. PM me your details if you are still having problems after you've watched this video

Edan
RARE SPARES

#13 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

Edan, thanks for the video showing how the Rares seal fits and works the same as an original.

It would have been good however if it had been possible to have some close up shots of how the original seal fitted before removal and how the new seal should look when fitted.

AFAIK if the seals are installed the wrong way the lid will be easier to close not harder.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by S pack, 14 January 2016 - 04:46 PM.

#14 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

Unfortunately, the repro seals don't work as well on the little Toranas. They are a bit too thick, and still not quite soft enough. But, there should be enough adjustment to get the bootlid to align closely (but not perfectly); and then let time do its thing. That is how I've approached it with my car. 

Edited by oz772, 14 January 2016 - 06:16 PM.

#15 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:47 PM

Thanks Edan for going to the trouble of test fitting the boot seal and posting a video, very much appreciated and a real sign that Rares listens to its customers.

I have to echo Dave's comment that in the video there are no close ups of the correct orientation of the seal. Either the original or the replacement.

Finding the starting point and the fitment was easy enough, just the orientation of the seal is not clear.

Has it been tested on a LC or LJ recently and can you post a pic of how the seal should sit on the boot lid?

I will PM you my details and will include a few more pics.

Thanks

Steve

#16 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:22 AM

Hi Edan,

See below a few more images.  It's actually very hard to take a good clear shot of the boot seal strangely enough

The car is not on the road yet or I would have brought it to the store / head office to look over it.

The more I look at the seal the more I think I might have it the wrong way around.  So the deeper curve of the seal is on the inside line, and the flatter part of the seal is on the outside line of the boot.  Can you please have a look and let me know.

If I do need to flip the seal I'm guessing the best option is to leave the plastic pins in and just un-hook the seal from the pins.

08F3F43E-FE70-4240-97B8-20E8335D25CF.jpg

0B21DCAC-0074-4BD3-82D3-AE84E1629D18.jpg

DE67FFED-C4BB-45FE-8FBB-E19ADAE7F917.jpg

2EBA43FC-56C8-4633-B725-00AC4099E5B3.jpg

FE01F893-397A-4295-AADA-94C47F7087C0.jpg

DEE37543-5033-4B66-9714-E4F3ACC95543.jpg

9C4DF47D-4245-45AB-AEB6-3BA14DD25561.jpg

2263CF43-4AED-4533-AE69-2091B5EDB2FC.jpg

D02D74BC-FEAE-4120-8FC0-368C0BC10262.jpg

EA88D6B2-CC1C-4A4B-B029-C587EFC3D99C.jpg

5A67E872-CAD4-4A70-AEA7-FDECB1CC408A.jpg

3F643B6C-3DC9-4731-8E51-1BFCED1EC3F9.jpg

94B4609A-50CD-4686-B8A1-0482DC4DE01A.jpg

#17 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

Steve, your seal is installed correctly.

#18 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:22 AM

Appreciate the feedback all.

We have been talking to Steve/ljv8 and turns out he is not far down the road. We are going visit him next week and have a look at it.

We will post an update once we have visited.

Edan

RARE SPARES

Edited by Edan, 15 January 2016 - 09:23 AM.

#19 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

Thanks Dave for having a look much appreciated mate.  

And a big thanks to Edan and the guy's at Rare Spares for being so helpful.  As Edan stated they will be dropping by to have a look next week, so we will get it sorted and post an update once done..  

#20 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:26 PM

Good afternoon all,

Lance and I from Rare Spares HQ dropped in to see Steve/ljv8 this morning.

We refitted the RBS1015 Rare Spares Boot Seal to Steve's LC and as you will see in the video below the results were very good.

https://youtu.be/5F-OfeqifyU

Kind Regards

Edan

RARE SPARES

Edited by Edan, 18 January 2016 - 12:27 PM.

#21 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

Fantastic effort RARE SPARES...well done..

#22 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:55 AM

Thanks Dave for having a look much appreciated mate.  

And a big thanks to Edan and the guy's at Rare Spares for being so helpful.  As Edan stated they will be dropping by to have a look next week, so we will get it sorted and post an update once done..  

Question... was your boot seal put on the wrong way.. refering to your pics???? The supplied fitting instructions are a bit vague..

Mike

#23 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:30 AM

I have to say a huge thank you to Lance and Edan at Rare Spares for helping me out.

I started this thread with just a request for advice by fellow forum members if my seal was the wrong way around, as it was hard to close.  I didn't expect Rare Spares to go to the effort they did.  

The original video was completed on a LH as the Rares LC doesn't have boot hinges fitted at the moment so they couldn't demonstrate it on an LC.  Edan contacted me and offered me to bring my car in, so they can have a look.  Its not on the road as yet and Edan offered to come by with Lance and have a look as I'm not too far from the head office.

So when I originally fitted the seal I wasn't 100% sure it was the right way around, so I didn't push the clips in all the way.  As it was so tight I didn't want to secure it incase I had to flip it around.  Turns out Mike that my seal was fitted the correct way around, and I agree I thought the instruction diagram was very vague.

Lance removed my seal and re-fitted it, as I had quite a bit of paint build up around the pin holes, it was very difficult to push the retaining pins in.  Lance fitted the seal and using a small block of wood helped to push the stubborn pins were all the way home.  I'm guessing a standard car with original paint it wouldn't be so hard to push the pins in.

With the boot open the leading edge (lock side) corners were hanging down a little.  Lance used a small dot of the Loctite 424 instant glue that comes with the full rubber kit to secure them in place.

Lance then gave it a good coat of Rares Rubber Magic.  

We did not re-adjust the boot catch.  The first close took a little effort, and when opening gave a good pop as there was quite a bit of pressure.  There was a little pressure on the back of the boot lid near the back window.  In the time Lance was at my place he opened and closed it a few more times and it began to settle in place, and took less effort to close and there wasn't as much pressure on the lock.

Checked it this morning and it's absolutely perfect.  The rubber magic has really helped it settle into place.  You can already see the corners of the seal have pressed in a little, and the boot shuts with just hand pressure over the lock, doesnt even need a slam.  Also opening it, just goes pop without too much pressure.

Have to say I'm very happy with the end result, and in my opinion Rare Spares have gone well above and beyond the customer service level we have grown accustomed to these days by retailers and manufacturers.  The guy's at Rare Spares are active members of this forum, listen to their customers, they want to assist us and want to improve their products as much as we do, so we need to support them.

In summary how I would do it again.  This is assuming the boot lid is properly gaped, aligned and boot catch adjusted before fitting the seal:

* Fit seal orientation as per photo's and video in this thread.  

* As per the instructions first locate and fit the two close together retaining pins as per the starting point near the lock.

* Ensure the deep recess in the seal is facing the inside edge of boot lid, flatter side faces out.

* Fit all pins, and once in place ensure all retaining pins are pushed all the way in.  You can check by gently lifting the seal near the pin.  

* Small dot of the Loctite 424 instant glue on the outer corners to hold the seal in place.   http://www.rarespare...x?product=RG180

* Spray seal with rubber magic, and wipe of excess from paint (won't harm the paint but good practice).  http://www.rarespare...spx?product=RM5

* Close and open a couple of times then leave the boot shut overnight.  Next morning will be significantly better.

Thanks again Edan and Lance for taking time out in your day to help with the install of the boot seal, it's very much appreciated.

Steve.

#24 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:04 AM

Hi all..

First off, thanks Edan for taking the time to have a look and help.

I had a go at fitting my rares boot seal.. The boot closed nice with out it on.. gaps were good.

Fitted the seal as per vid and instructions...

Its very tight and needs a LOT of force to close.. it sits up very high.... I dont want to tap the inner lips down as I shouldnt have to as the original seal that was on it while dry fitting before painting was good.. nothings changed in the panels...

The new revamped seal is way better than the older fatt one.. but its still tight.. Ive lifted the catch up a bit to help with closing. Its not where I want it to sit.. still very, very tight... and lots of force is needed to close.. Thinking how am i going to do that when the bobtail goes on?????????

suspect it is at the top lip (window) as it seems to get tight as soon as it touchers the lip..

There are gaps at the back between rear beaver and lid...

I installed some washers on the back 2 bolts, between lid and hinge to help "tilt" the boot lid forward and lift the back up.. It helped a little but now it sits up too high at the window side. I dont like the look....

Thing is.. once you push the clips in the holes.. you cant reuse them.... I was going to refit the original seal and take a pic, but I cant get the clips out with out destroying them and Ian from rares in SA says that you cant get the clips seperate?????

Question.. so whats wrong???????? and what do I do?????

Im about to fit my Rares door seals/quarter vent window and rear quarter vent seal... Is there a problem with them before I start.

Im getting a bit sick of having to fit. take off, refit, take off and scratch my head.. as well as the scrtaching that is happening to the paint...

I know Ill be having problems with the rear quarter window seals... as people are saying that they are too fat and the window will not latch properly.

Ill keep you all posted..

Mike

#25 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

pics of the boot lid closed with seal on.. Note how high it sits?????? not good...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users