Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

Have a masked up block sitting in a stand needing a touch up prior to installing to a K frame

Have trawled and searched and googled and all i get is conflicting opinions as to what is the correct paint and colour

VHT apparently is not being made anymore having being bought out by Motorspray

Motorspray is apparently sh1t and people wouldn't go near it

I have just waited 4 weeks for a can of this crap and going on what is said "holden red" is the correct colour

Finaly picked it up today and it is the same as what would be used on the old HD era 179's

The bloody thing wouldn't spray properly anyway but what did dribble out the end i could see was nothing like what i was chasing 

I thought i'd done my research on this ... but :banghead:

Could someone put me on the straight and narrow

I have limited shops and after 4 odd weeks of wait for the useless can now sitting on the shelf the patience is wearing thin

Cheers

#2 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

You want something like Rocket Red. Have a look at Brad's Tuxedo LH SLR 5000 thread, pretty sure there is some good info in there for the correct colour for the later LH/LX red engines

#3 71Ranger

71Ranger

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Car:71 LC

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

Hi Dave,

Take a look here.

http://www.kbs-coati...t/motor-coater/

Rocket Red is the color your after and this stuff is great for touch ups

Cheers Brian

#4 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

Yeah HK Rocket Red is the go. I did my donk 2pac.

#5 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

Rocket Red PPG ACR3 or 10890

#6 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

Cheers fella's

Couple of questions

Does the KBS stuff (seems brush on is all they do) really go on with no brush marks like they claim?

Do PPG have distributors or do you have to go direct?

Again thanks for getting back

#7 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

I bought all my PPG stuff at an automotive paint store.

#8 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

Re the KBS stuff, their rust seal range dries very smooth when brushed on smooth metal so on a rough cast iron surface I'm sure you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but I don't know if their engine paint may be different.

#9 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:37 PM

Um... VHT still exists

The "holden orange" is part # SP119

8 cans showing at the local warehouse

Power Plus version of Rocket Red is part # PP438

#10 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:39 AM

Thats the problem up here  - no automotive paint stores Brad

Only going on what the sheila at the local Cov's store said Datto, after she clicked her fingernails on the pooter keys

It lists both Repco and Cov's as distributors - both stores up here dont stock it

Will put the pressure on them today

#11 71Ranger

71Ranger

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Car:71 LC

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hi Dave,

The KBS stuff brushes on with no residual brush marks and I can barely paint to save myself

I can upload a photo if that helps.

BTW a 500ml tin will do a 6 cyl

Cheers Brian

#12 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

Thats the problem up here - no automotive paint stores Brad

Only going on what the sheila at the local Cov's store said Datto, after she clicked her fingernails on the pooter keys
It lists both Repco and Cov's as distributors - both stores up here dont stock it
Will put the pressure on them today

Are you more Hill Billy than me?

#13 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:20 AM

Dunno Brad  - nearest main towns are six hours south and two and a half hours north

I don't think we are at the banjo picking stage but sometimes i wonder

Upside of things is i have tracked down a can of the VHT stuff Datto recommended

It will be in a car today coming from Geraldton and settling in for its 10 hour drive North

All for a bloody can of paint

Makes you feel like a fgucken hillbilly :lol:

Thanks again for the help fella's

#14 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:37 AM

Use the Motospray can of old red on your gearbox if you are still using the M21. I can't remember that far back Dave. It is not too far off the red oxide colour. Motospray also does a "Holden Orange" and I used it on my engine, but it is closer in colour  to "Chevy Orange". The actual finish seemed to come out OK though. It has a satin look to it.

I also ordered a can from "Customcans" on Ebay. The bloke told me it was definitely Rocket Red, but it too looked more like Chevy Orange. (Too bright)

I think over the years, with most engine builders using the Chev colour, people have forgotten what colour the Holden motors were.

If the VHT hasn't worked out for you, I am heading to the big smoke tomorrow, so I can get the PPG  product for you and send it up.

P.S. Don't forget to get the correct amount of overspray on to your bell housing so I am not disappointed when I call in to count your rivets.

#15 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:55 AM

The confusion comes often due to the different colours used over the years.

First there was the EH engine red. This continued through until the end of HR from memory (will correct later if my memory isn't working).

Then there is the orange-red first introduced for HD X2, continued into HR X2 and 186S. Also used on HK-HQ Chev engines until late 1972 and on 1968 GMH assembled Pontiac and Chevrolet.

New red for HK onwards engines other than above, and used on all red engines until the end of HZ. Also used on 1973-1974 HQ Chev engines. 

On top of that there were fully imported Chevrolets with engines painted in Chevy Orange.

#16 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

New red for HK onwards engines other than above, and used on all red engines until the end of VB.

#17 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

New red for HK onwards engines other than above, and used on all red engines until the end of VB.

No I typed it right, VB finished before HZ. VC was released before WB so HZ was still a current model when VB finished. As to which was physically the last one built they'd be pretty close as re-tooling for the blue engines and the 2 x new series (VC and WB) would have happened roughly the same time. I think HZ production ceased in February or at the outside into early March but as there are no records for HZ past VB release or for VB at all we don't know exactly. I do have a 2/80 regular production VC from Pagewood and it is the 1009th Pagewood VC, also have VB's in 2/80. I don't have any WB's prior to 4/80 but no HZ's past 2/80.

My guess is they stopped building red engines for the end of VB and stockpiled them to allow HZ production to continue for a few weeks - the schedule would have told them exactly what was required.

#18 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:21 AM

I too, just recently went through this engine colour drama!! It started with my engine builder when he asked me what colour do I want & I said Rocket Red.. When I got the motor home there were two reds on it. I rang & asked him what he used & he said it was a VHT red. So I went & got a can of VHT SP119 Holden Orange-Red. I worked out that the block was painted this colour but it was too red for me. I then went & got Duplicolor DE1653 Rocket red..Nope it was way too red! I went to my local auto paint store & asked for samples of Rocket Red, HK Rocket Red, Rocket Red MK11, & X2 Holden Red. What they mixed were all too red except for the X2 Holden Red so I got 2 cans made up. I then sprayed a tin rocker cover & It looked the right colour but was way too flat being an acrylic paint.. Really disappointed at this stage now! Next, I got a can each of Motospray EE2686 Holden Orange & Duplicolor DE1607 Chevy Orange-Red. Did a couple sample swatches & found my sump & alloy rocker covers were painted the Duplicolor Chevy Orange-Red. The Motospray EE2686 Holden Orange is probably the closest for an off the shelf spray can but it's not exact!

At this stage I had had enough of fart arsing around & ended up using the Duplicolor DE 1607 Chevy Orange - Red because the sump & finned rocker covers were already painted this colour! I resprayed the block to match it all up. What a drama trying to get the correct Rocket Red & I end up with the Chevy Orange-Red!! What a joke!!..but happy with the end result..  LOL

Attached Files

#19 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:58 AM

I think the trouble is it is hard to get the true red with no lead. I do have the formulas for them all somewhere, will try and find them.

The Dulon formula for 1969 Rocket Red is 10890. Not sure what the paint line is for it though, assume enamel.

Edited by yel327, 02 February 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#20 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:32 AM

^ yes, machine enamel I think.

#21 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

Use the Motospray can of old red on your gearbox if you are still using the M21. I can't remember that far back Dave. It is not too far off the red oxide colour. Motospray also does a "Holden Orange" and I used it on my engine, but it is closer in colour  to "Chevy Orange". The actual finish seemed to come out OK though. It has a satin look to it.

I also ordered a can from "Customcans" on Ebay. The bloke told me it was definitely Rocket Red, but it too looked more like Chevy Orange. (Too bright)

I think over the years, with most engine builders using the Chev colour, people have forgotten what colour the Holden motors were.

If the VHT hasn't worked out for you, I am heading to the big smoke tomorrow, so I can get the PPG  product for you and send it up.

P.S. Don't forget to get the correct amount of overspray on to your bell housing so I am not disappointed when I call in to count your rivets.

Hi Laurie 

Havn't checked this thread for a couple of days 

Thanks for the offer but i should be ok - but still waiting for the call from old mate who was picking it up ( probably still on the piss in Canarvon)

TerrA and Yel - thanks for the discussion - having trawled the arse off this site and others it seems there is some confusion and like Laurie says time has probably made people not sure + the Chevy influence does not help

Faded old blocks are not much to go on

Ando i feel your pain and are living it but the frustrating thing is i just cant walk into any old place and look at what i may need

The only two cans i could find was the Duplicolour chev orange and the Duplicolour chev orange - red

I grabbed a piece of cardboard in the shop and give each can a couple of sample shots then walked around the place waving it trying to get it to dry  - got a few funny looks

Found the orange not right and umm'd and aaah'd over the orange-red but like you found it to be not quite

Thanks for the pics though as now i can see what the end result would be like - it would look good in a black engine bay (which i have prepared for it ) 

Will hit the same piece of cardboard with the VHT orange-red and have a look when it gets here - be interesting to see the difference

Oh by the way Laurie there will be no overspray and you keep your Collie banjopickn nose out of my rivets  :)    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users