Gas struts to LH bootlid ?

Boot struts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _alkemadea_

_alkemadea_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

Interested to know if anyone has replaced torsions bars in LH boot lid with gas struts.  I would like to make more room for rear speakers under rear shelf.  Struts need to be strong enough to lift rear spoiler weight. Appreciate if you can provide strut details, mounting points and/or photos. Meanwhile will check out the ones I have on a VS wagon and VE sedan and see if they might work.

#2 041SLR5000

041SLR5000

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name:Andrew C
  • Car:L34

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:43 PM

Hi Andrew,

I had the same problem. What I did was to mount my rear speakers sideways. They then cleared the hinge torsion bars. I spent about a day in the boot and made 2 adaptor sandwiches out of 5 ply. It nearly crippled me but this what I came up with. My oval speakers are now mounted at 90deg to the original speaker holes. I didn't need to butcher the rear shelf. All I then needed to do was drill 4 small new holes for the speaker grill which also hold the speakers...

See Photos...  

Attached Files

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:38 PM

ucongas had gas struts.

http://www.gmh-toran...i-lpg/?p=300137

struts002sml.jpg

struts003sml.jpg

struts001sml.jpg

#4 _alkemadea_

_alkemadea_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and pics. Looks like its doable. The back shelf in mine was partly hacked to fit the speakers but failed RWC.  It need to be welded up again before I got it and the speakers where fitted in housings on top....Not very elegant.  I want them concealed as much as possible whilst still producing reasonable sound.  Like the struts so will look for them.  

#5 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:59 AM

Fitted one to the SLR works great. I needed it to lift the extra weight of the spoiler and auto boot release weight. But the major benefit is to stop the boot from flicking up so fast and banging on the stops.

Attached Files

#6 _reefhog_

_reefhog_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

VN-VS sedans have struts for the boot lid, that's what I'm thinking of using on my VK.

#7 _alkemadea_

_alkemadea_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

Axistr - What were the specs (length and pressure)  of the struts you used on the SLR with spoiler as there are so many different ones. 

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

I think Axistr retained the torsion bars and added the strut for extra lift and control.

#9 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:09 AM

As  Andy said, I only used one to assist the lift and stop the boot flicking up quick and banging hard on the stops when fully open.. Using two(one each side) you could get rid of the torsion bars. I will try and get out to the shed today and take some measurements. you can order them in just about any pressure you want these days, and mobile strut replacement guys can even add more pressure to them on site if you need more lift pressure, but they can't reduce the pressure I am told.    

#10 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

Sorry alkemadea for the slow response with the photo. As I previously mentioned you can get them in the same length with a wide variety of pressures. 

I only used the one, which is only 240 newtons pressure, and 318mm long. Its very compact when the boot is closed and doesn't reduce boot space. If you fit a long strut which are easier to install because you don't have to be to accurate with the fixes end lengths but they can be easily damaged trying to put larger items in the boot. This strut was originally for use in bus/coach seats to push the back rest forward.

Hope this helps.

Lenny.  

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Boot, struts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users