Photo

2 inch SU info

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#51 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

Note that those Mikuni figures are at 12" water (about 0.8" hg). The figures at standard pressures (1.5" or 3"hg) are quite a bit higher. It's very very easy to go way too big with these if you're used to old style automotive carbs.

Edited by oldjohnno, 13 February 2016 - 01:18 PM.

#52 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

So realistically 3 42mil mikuni's would do most any street/strip aspirated six banger with ease?

#53 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

THat calculation is a crock of shit IMO. 

Couldn't have put it better myself.

So realistically 3 42mil mikuni's would do most any street/strip aspirated six banger with ease?

Yes. And for a hot street car even smaller might be better.

#54 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:33 PM

Stupid question, how hard would it be to boost reference a mukini for blow through? I've never really looked at one in person to work it out myself. 

Cheers. 

#55 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

Shouldn't be a problem if you can control the fuel pressure accurately. I think it'd be just the usual stuff - vent the bowl to inlet pressure, suitable size N&S (Mikuni make them in a range of sizes and pressure ratings) and possibly also inlet pressure to the top of the slide. Never done it though so speaking through arse...

#56 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

Very interesting.... So 3x mikunis would be nearly as easy to bost reference as a single 4bbl holley... Mount them to a manifold, put a plenum on them and hook the compressor of a turbo up to the plenum.....Very frOcking interesting. 

#57 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:35 PM

From David Vizard's carburetor book his formula for choosing the correct size chokes for an IR set up is as follows :
Single cylinder capacity (550 for a 202) multiplied by the the max rpm
(let's say 6000),divided by 2600 and then the square root of this answer is the preferred choke size, but drop the decimal places.

This is 35mm from memory which just happens to be a sweet spot on my engine.
The correct size of carb to suit the choke size is the choke should be approximately 80% of the throttle plate size.

You need to subtract the restriction caused by the spindle from the throttle plate size and not fit chokes any bigger than that. For example on a 40mm dcoe if you fit a choke bigger than 34mm there will be only very minimal increase in airflow for the above reason and there's no point going bigger than 40mm chokes in a 45mm dcoe.

#58 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:39 PM

Don't think for a minute that if the gauge says 11.8 then that's what it's actually running. Remember that all you are reading is an average across six cyinders, and that out of those six only two are fed at regular intervals. The gauge is great to get you quickly into the ballpark but ultimately it'll be trap speed that determines the jet size.

Exactly...

This is why I mentioned earlier in either this thread or another one that I would like to check EGTs of each primary to see whether there is any major variation amongst the 6 pots...

I have suspected some overfueling from the front weber but have not been able to put my finger on it.

In contrast, I previously had an issue where the webers made the engine run like crap- AFR was 12.9. It turned out that some muppet had put the aux. venturi in back to front, which restricted the fuel flow when on the main jet in that cylinder. Subsequently, the engine would have read quite lean, so the same dyno muppet continued to richen everything else up until he reached the magical AFR number. D*ckhead did not have any idea. When I found the issue, AFR dropped back down to 10.8 (as the effected cylinder was now receiving fuel), and we proceeded to lean off the air bleeds until we got to about 11.8 or so, where it was the happiest. Also gained 56hp in the process.

JD- My tests were run on the same day, same conditions etc... and the jetting as determined on the dyno, produced the highest trap speed.

In saying that, when leaning off the main jet one step, the engine revs and transitions cleaner but it didn't do the numbers.

#59 SA EH

SA EH

Another Holden 6 tragic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Name:Jonesy
  • Car:EH Holden, E30 BMW, LJ 4 Door

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

Be very interesting what you come up with Jono. :spoton:

So in the next couple of months I should have some flow figures of my own to post up, that being my well modified 1 3/4" su's, standard 2", then a modified 2". I'm tired of relying on someone else's dubious figures.

Purely for shits & giggles....

#60 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:30 PM

What are the modifications you're making to the su's? I assume reducing the protrusion off the throttle plate screws out each side of the spindle???

#61 SA EH

SA EH

Another Holden 6 tragic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

It'll cop that too, maybe reduce the spindle size(take off one side or machine down both sides), they'll get the piston chamfer, hit them with the die grinder internally to open up the flow path over the jet opening & sidewalls, smooth & deburr, descent ram tubes.....
Just depends on how much time you want to put into them really.

#62 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

I was planning the above mods myself but have on reasonably good advice that it frOcks with the needle selection in a big way, something to keep in mind. 

#63 SA EH

SA EH

Another Holden 6 tragic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

Yep. But isn't that just the snowball effect for us idiots that want to modify everything as far as we can?

#64 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

Very true. 

#65 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

webers produce more power when on the rich side of afr

#66 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

It'll cop that too, maybe reduce the spindle size(take off one side or machine down both sides), they'll get the piston chamfer, hit them with the die grinder internally to open up the flow path over the jet opening & sidewalls, smooth & deburr, descent ram tubes.....
Just depends on how much time you want to put into them really.

You might be surprised by how little return you get for your time. I've got a selection of VMs, TMX's, SU's etc in different sizes so if I get all enthusiastic I'll bodge up some adaptors and see what they flow. I've never tested anything other than Holleys and they flowed pretty much exactly what they were meant to. It'll be interesting to see what it takes to fully lift an SU slide.

#67 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:51 AM

I'd be interested in the results of this these tests oldjohnno, if you get "enthusiastic" enough.

#68 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:51 AM

A little off-topic, but I was wondering whether anyone here has tried any of the new oxygenated race fuels? They aren't cheap but with SUs it would seem very, very easy to adjust the mix to compensate for the richer mix needed with these fuels.

With webers I have never bothered, due mainly to the cost of the jets etc needed to re-jet it all with the race fuels, it would be a hassle, and costly. It could be worth the time and money, but it could also have minimal gains.

I have heard that 20hp gain is achievable using the right oxygenated fuel, like MS109 from VP racing.

The guy who flowed my Iast head has an engine dyno, and mentioned that the last 202 they build had 260hp at the fly on BP98, and then on MS109 made 280hp at the fly.

Not sure of induction setup they were using, but 20hp seams very good. They had no reason to lie as they weren't selling me anything. The conversation came up as to how hard it is to make 300hp N/A in a holden 6.

I will be giving this a go when I have the SUs on. Not sure exactly which brand fuel I'll use but it'll be oxygenated.

#69 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:52 PM

Contact these blokes, they have numerous unleaded high octane fuels.

http://powerplusfuel.com.au/

#70 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:47 PM

Ok, so I got my kit and parts from SUMidel today, great bunch of blokes...

Got .125 jet and UP Needles... They gave me all the gear to change the angle of the fuel bowls etc...

Turns out the bushes were great, so no need to re-bush. In fact, the guys all commented that they are a very good set (condition wise). 

#71 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:56 PM

Well I got all enthusiastic and tested a couple of carbs this arvo. I wasn't really sure what test pressure to use seeing as there are so many different "standards" but settled on the most commonly used one for carburetors of 1.5"Hg. I calibrated the bench with a 1.5" orifice before testing so the figures are good. The carb adaptors basically just dumped straight into a 3.625" bore so the flow numbers are about what you'd get dumping into a plenum manifold. A runner with a smoother transition would give a few percent more flow but at any rate they were all tested the same way so the numbers are comparable.

A Mikuni VM40 was the first one tested, it did 218cfm and ran quietly. These are a traditional round slide design and I think one of the best all-round performers ever.

Next was a flat-slide Mikuni VMX38, it's claimed that they flow a little better than the VM for a given size and that indeed turned out to be the case. It did almost as well as the VM40 despite being 2mm smaller, with 211cfm. It was very very quiet. The flow path for these is basically the same as the HSR series, so you could use this as a guide for selecting HSRs.

I also tested a 32mm round-slide which did 125cfm.

Next I chucked on a 1-3/4" SU, and was careful to mount it at about the same angle as it would be in a car so as not to affect the slide operation. This did 188cfm but keep in mind that all the other carbs had bellmouthed entries while the SU had neither a bellmouth or an air cleaner base. I couldn't put a radiussed entry on it (my tin of playdoh had gone hard!) but I'd expect that a bit better entry would get it just over 200cfm. I might grab some fresh playdoh tomorrow and check it to be sure. I don't have any 2" SUs here to test but going by the figures for the 1-3/4" I'd expect around 250cfm.

What did surprise me was just how little it took to open the slide on the SU - I was expecting it to be more restrictive. The slide was 90% open with 7"H2O pressure drop and at 10.7" it was fully open. Keep in mind that the last little bit of slide lift adds very little area to the throat, so for all practical purposes it could be considered fully open with about 7 - 7.5" of suction. Drag racers using Holley style carbs have found best results when the carbs are sized to give between 0.5" and 0.75"Hg across the line, and this works out to about 7 to 10" of water, exactly where the SU runs at WOT. I've heard reports of SU slides not fully opening - or even closing a little - at very high rpms. I saw no sign of this behaviour even with 28" or more suction and have to wonder if these misbehaving carbs have been subjected to some of the half-arsed mods that are commonly carried out.

The other interesting thing about the SU was the action of the oil damper. Whenever the throttle was opened or the airflow increased the slide would initially lift fairly quickly but then get progressively slower and slower as the slide position reached a point of balance with the airflow. The last couple of mm was painfully slow and could take 5 seconds or so to complete even with a completely stable airflow. I can see now why some people sacrifice some initial enrichment by leaving out the damper. Perhaps some work on piston or damper rod design could give the best of both worlds? At any rate the old SU certainly did better than I expected. In circuit racing applications the Webers seem to have the upper hand over SU's but I can't help but wonder if this advantage would go away with adequately sized and set up SU's on a good manifold?

Finally I chucked on a 350 Holley, mainly just as a sanity check. This had the choke tower still intact but no choke flap or spindle. It did 178cfm (one throat only) which is about what you'd expect. It was noisier than the others and for comparisons sake has 38mm throttle bores and 30.5mm "chokes". It seems the Holley cfm ratings are accurate so you should be able to use them with confidence, just be aware that some of the "special" Holleys as well as many of the lookalikes rate their carbs at oddball pressure ratings. The DCOES look a little dirtier aerodynamically - I don't have any here to test - but I think the figures for identically dimensioned Holleys would be close enough to get in the ballpark.

Back to the Mikunis for a minute - these things flow amazingly well. So well in fact that fitting one to an appropriately sized manifold runner doesn't decrease the flow in the slightest. It actually increases flow. As far as the manifold is concerned the carb is nothing more than another couple of inches of runner length with a bellmouth. Looking at the flow rates now it would appear that the smallest of the HSRs, the 42mm, would be adequate for even a very quick race motor. They'd also be oversized for nearly any street/strip car, where a 36 or 38 TM or PWK might be more appropriate.

Edited by oldjohnno, 27 February 2016 - 08:03 PM.

#72 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

Great Man Oldjohnno,

your expert engineering, flow testing facility is top level thanks.  :spoton:

Well I got all enthusiastic and tested a couple of carbs this arvo. I wasn't really sure what test pressure to use seeing as there are so many different "standards" but settled on the most commonly used one for carburetors of 1.5"Hg. I calibrated the bench with a 1.5" orifice before testing so the figures are good. The carb adaptors basically just dumped straight into a 3.625" bore so the flow numbers are about what you'd get dumping into a plenum manifold. A runner with a smoother transition would give a few percent more flow but at any rate they were all tested the same way so the numbers are comparable.

A Mikuni VM40 was the first one tested, it did 218cfm and ran quietly. These are a traditional round slide design and I think one of the best all-round performers ever.

Next was a flat-slide Mikuni VMX38, it's claimed that they flow a little better than the VM for a given size and that indeed turned out to be the case. It did almost as well as the VM40 despite being 2mm smaller, with 211cfm. It was very very quiet. The flow path for these is basically the same as the HSR series, so you could use this as a guide for selecting HSRs.

I also tested a 32mm round-slide which did 125cfm.

Next I chucked on a 1-3/4" SU, and was careful to mount it at about the same angle as it would be in a car so as not to affect the slide operation. This did 188cfm but keep in mind that all the other carbs had bellmouthed entries while the SU had neither a bellmouth or an air cleaner base. I couldn't put a radiussed entry on it (my tin of playdoh had gone hard!) but I'd expect that a bit better entry would get it just over 200cfm. I might grab some fresh playdoh tomorrow and check it to be sure. I don't have any 2" SUs here to test but going by the figures for the 1-3/4" I'd expect around 250cfm.

What did surprise me was just how little it took to open the slide on the SU - I was expecting it to be more restrictive. The slide was 90% open with 7"H2O pressure drop and at 10.7" it was fully open. Keep in mind that the last little bit of slide lift adds very little area to the throat, so for all practical purposes it could be considered fully open with about 7 - 7.5" of suction. Drag racers using Holley style carbs have found best results when the carbs are sized to give between 0.5" and 0.75"Hg across the line, and this works out to about 7 to 10" of water, exactly where the SU runs at WOT. I've heard reports of SU slides not fully opening - or even closing a little - at very high rpms. I saw no sign of this behaviour even with 28" or more suction and have to wonder if these misbehaving carbs have been subjected to some of the half-arsed mods that are commonly carried out.

The other interesting thing about the SU was the action of the oil damper. Whenever the throttle was opened or the airflow increased the slide would initially lift fairly quickly but then get progressively slower and slower as the slide position reached a point of balance with the airflow. The last couple of mm was painfully slow and could take 5 seconds or so to complete even with a completely stable airflow. I can see now why some people sacrifice some initial enrichment by leaving out the damper. Perhaps some work on piston or damper rod design could give the best of both worlds? At any rate the old SU certainly did better than I expected. In circuit racing applications the Webers seem to have the upper hand over SU's but I can't help but wonder if this advantage would go away with adequately sized and set up SU's on a good manifold?

Finally I chucked on a 350 Holley, mainly just as a sanity check. This had the choke tower still intact but no choke flap or spindle. It did 178cfm (one throat only) which is about what you'd expect. It was noisier than the others and for comparisons sake has 38mm throttle bores and 30.5mm "chokes". It seems the Holley cfm ratings are accurate so you should be able to use them with confidence, just be aware that some of the "special" Holleys as well as many of the lookalikes rate their carbs at oddball pressure ratings. The DCOES look a little dirtier aerodynamically - I don't have any here to test - but I think the figures for identically dimensioned Holleys would be close enough to get in the ballpark.

Back to the Mikunis for a minute - these things flow amazingly well. So well in fact that fitting one to an appropriately sized manifold runner doesn't decrease the flow in the slightest. It actually increases flow. As far as the manifold is concerned the carb is nothing more than another couple of inches of runner length with a bellmouth. Looking at the flow rates now it would appear that the smallest of the HSRs, the 42mm, would be adequate for even a very quick race motor. They'd also be oversized for nearly any street/strip car, where a 36 or 38 TM or PWK might be more appropriate.

Like button for you.

#73 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

your expert engineering, flow testing facility is top level thanks.  :spoton:

Ah Dave, if you only knew the truth...

Edited by oldjohnno, 27 February 2016 - 08:37 PM.

#74 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:48 PM

So the pommy shit actually works to some degree ?

#75 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:41 PM

So the pommy shit actually works to some degree ?

Yep.

Something I failed to mention: the figure for the little Holley is at 3"hg; at the same rating as all the others it'd be about 126cfm per throat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users