lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Name:paul
  • Car:LC 2 door, HR prem wagon

Posted Today, 06:29 AM

Re sealed manifold plug and clamped off rubber stoppers, same problem. I have also changed carby from manifold 1 to manifold 2, so must be a carby, not manifold leak/issue (weak air flow used to be cylinder 1, is now 3). Will remove entire setr up during the week as might be easier to problem solve on bench. Paul

Edited by lctriples, Today, 06:31 AM.

#227 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted Today, 07:03 AM

From your previous post...
At the moment going from cylinder number 1 (front of engine) to 6, air flow meter at 1,000 reads carby 1: 7,5, carby 2: 2.5 (problem carby) 7, Carby 3: 5,5.

So what was previously carb number 1 with barrel number 1 flowing at 7 on the synchronisation tool and barrel number 2 flowing at 5 is now carb number and the discrepancy between the two barrels remains, correct?

Was the original carb number 2 reading at 2.5 for both barrels?

This must've been idling quite roughly with the variation you had between the cylinders ranging from 2.5 -7.

I'd try just removing that one carb for now and checking the alignment of throttle plates. Completely back off the throttle stop and hold it up to the light looking at the back of it and look for any gaps around the outside of the throttle plates. There should be almost no light visible around the outside of the throttle plates. If you see one area with noticeably more light than another that can be a problem or if one barrel has more light showing than the other.

#228 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted Today, 08:56 AM

Chances are that you have a twisted spindle from people using an incorrect technique to tighten the throttle/spindle levers. This us quite common.

#229 lctriples

lctriples

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Name:paul
  • Car:LC 2 door, HR prem wagon

Posted Today, 10:10 AM

James, very confusing i know, Carb no 1 (offending carby) which is now mounted to manifold two was flowing same when mounted to  manifold 1 ie: around 2.5 for throat one and 5 for throat 2. I'm tipping would read the same regardless whether is was mounted to manifold 1, 2, or 3, affecting cylinders 1, 3 or 5. I will start with removing offending carby first and check as you suggested, i just know that whatever cylinder that "throat" is feeding, engine wont idle for that pot (ie: when you take spark plug lead off, makes no difference to how engine runs). I will also post photo of discrepancy between maifold and cylinder head ports. Thanks in advance, Paul

#230 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted Today, 10:34 AM

So once you moved that carb to the middle carb did you still have the cylinder not firing in the new position? Does the cylinder that wasn't firing originally now fire with the carb positions now swapped? The cylinder that wasn't firing is that the barrel with the high or low airflow?
How many turns open are the idle mixture screws? Does that cylinder respond to idle mixture screw changes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users