ChrisLC

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Car:1971 LC Four Door S

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:33 PM

Hi all, I have a set of CSA stamped Sprintmasters that I want to put on my LC, however I don't have any wheel nuts at all. Finding it hard to work out where to go and which ones. The type that is usually mentioned does not look like it has enough taper for mine. Can anybody help with any info?

Attached Files

#2 liswar2

liswar2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Name:Wazza
  • Car:BMW K1200 RS , orange lc coupe

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

There are 3 diff rent types of wheel nuts , for the sprint master, with the self locating , 2 types from memory , I bought my last set from eBay

#3 liswar2

liswar2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Name:Wazza
  • Car:BMW K1200 RS , orange lc coupe

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:10 PM

Just had a look , acorn type there but that's all

#4 ChrisLC

ChrisLC

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:32 AM

Having trouble finding these nuts, furthermore I don't know which style of nut goes with these rims. I can't make out any date on the back, although it does have those funny dot things they used. Can someone please tell me if the rims pictured are for the regular style nuts or tapered style. It looks like tapered. Is this a "self-locating" rim?

#5 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,833 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:43 AM

Hi Chris,

When I was doing this, i just took a normal old Holden wheel nut, and the Srintmaster type wheel to my local Autobarn.( they seem to be the closest we have to a real parts store where I live)

They had a couple of trays of all sorts  of mag wheel nuts, and also  a display of mounted wheel studs.

Thus,... find the nut that fits the wheel properly from the various types, then wind your old Holden nut onto the sample wheel stud....and hey presto you now know what nut you need and what thread you need it to have.

I think it was about $70 -80 all up.

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,535 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

Having trouble finding these nuts, furthermore I don't know which style of nut goes with these rims. I can't make out any date on the back, although it does have those funny dot things they used. Can someone please tell me if the rims pictured are for the regular style nuts or tapered style. It looks like tapered. Is this a "self-locating" rim?

The writing cast into the face of the black spoke webs indicates they are post 1984 or 1985 CSA wheels. AFAIK no self locating wheels were producted in this time frame.

That looks like a tapered seat but please give it a clean up so we can see it clearer.

What is the diameter of the wheel stud hole when measured on the hub mounting face?

Edited by S pack, 21 April 2016 - 08:18 AM.

#7 ChrisLC

ChrisLC

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:36 AM

The writing cast into the face of the black spoke webs indicates they are post 1984 or 1985 CSA wheels. AFAIK no self locating wheels were producted in this time frame.

That looks like a tapered seat but please give it a clean up so we can see it clearer.

What is the diameter of the wheel stud hole when measured on the hub mounting face?

Thanks S pack. The diameter of the stud hole is about 15- 16 mm.

#8 hotmetal1000

hotmetal1000

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:LJ

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:38 PM

Old thread I know but did you end up finding wheel nuts to suit those sprintmasters or does anybody know which do?

I have the same sprintmasters, tapered seat and 15mm hole. 

I have looked at brettcnc's wheel nuts but the two he has listed on ebay don't seem to be correct for these.

I have just discovered that mine have the wrong nuts (acorn) on them.

Will try Repco tomorrow anyway and see what they have.

#9 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:xu1

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:46 PM

I can provide you with examples of what I have experieced with the Sprintmasters. I have two sets, 4 x Globe manufactured Sprintmasters dated 1982 and I also have 4 x new in box CSA sprintmasters dated 1986. I will include lots of photos as this topic seems to come up a lot. The wheel nuts that came with my CSA have a straight shank and are not tapered and use a washer same as my early Globe nuts. see photo of both. The CSA has "12w x 1.5mm" stamped on the shank.

Correction to the stamping on the CSA wheel nuts. They have "12 x 1.5mm"

The wheel nut that came with my Glove manufacture Sprintmasters have "4.00" stamped on them. That is the one in the micrometers.

Attached Files

#10 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:01 PM

Actually I'll retract my comment regarding the washer on the CSA wheel nut. I'm not sure if this wheel nut had a washer or not as they were never fitted.

#11 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,535 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:49 PM

Mark, I might be wrong but I believe these are the nuts you and Chris need for those CSA Sprintmasters.

Attached File  CSA 1986 Sprintmaster wheel nut.jpg   97.73K   9 downloads

Definitely not 12 x 1.5mm. I think that is Commodore thread size.

Torana is 7/16" x 20

Edited by S pack, 31 May 2020 - 06:51 PM.

#12 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:56 PM

Ok Dave? Yeh not sure. These nuts came in a bag with the wheels and have never fitted them so you could be right?

These wheels were bought by my mate for this XU1 and they supplied these wheel nuts at the time so who knows.

#13 MFM

MFM

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:11 PM

Dave I just measured them and went to insert the shaft into the wheel but it just sits in the recess of the taper portion of the nut and wheel like its too large a diameter, so doubt it is suppose to be like that?

Attached Files

#14 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:36 PM

Nothing whatsoever metric on a torana, as Dave stated, 7/16" & 20 tpi.

The tapered shank nut, like Dave has shown "40 t" style suits the tapered seat rims.

The pointed style "globe" type nuts ARE available by Brett still i think & will suit the square seat globes, providing the inside diameter of the rim & shank measure up. 1 FLAT washer per nut on the square seat.

I may know someone with 40 t style nuts for sale, we may also have 1 set of the pointed wheel nuts.

#15 hotmetal1000

hotmetal1000

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:LJ

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:55 PM

Mark, I might be wrong but I believe these are the nuts you and Chris need for those CSA Sprintmasters.

attachicon.gifCSA 1986 Sprintmaster wheel nut.jpg

Definitely not 12 x 1.5mm. I think that is Commodore thread size.

Torana is 7/16" x 20

12 x 1.5 is Commodore wheel nut thread size.

Found these from Nice products https://niceproducts...l121-wheel-nut/ which I reckon should work and look similar to Dave's picture.

#16 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,535 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:00 PM

Nothing whatsoever metric on a torana, as Dave stated, 7/16" & 20 tpi.

The tapered shank nut, like Dave has shown "40 t" style suits the tapered seat rims.

The pointed style "globe" type nuts ARE available by Brett still i think & will suit the square seat globes, providing the inside diameter of the rim & shank measure up. 1 FLAT washer per nut on the square seat.

I may know someone with 40 t style nuts for sale, we may also have 1 set of the pointed wheel nuts.

Gary the wheel nut pic I put up is not a 40T nut. The 40T suits the 1983/84 sprintmasters but does not suit those later '86 sprintmasters.

Edited by S pack, 31 May 2020 - 08:01 PM.

#17 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:anthony

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:12 PM

A CSA 1986 rim with tapered washers and the nuts are 90 degree shank i will find the nuts tomorrow. 

Cheers

Attached Files

#18 ChrisLC

ChrisLC

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:16 AM

Old thread I know but did you end up finding wheel nuts to suit those sprintmasters or does anybody know which do?

I have the same sprintmasters, tapered seat and 15mm hole. 

I have looked at brettcnc's wheel nuts but the two he has listed on ebay don't seem to be correct for these.

I have just discovered that mine have the wrong nuts (acorn) on them.

Will try Repco tomorrow anyway and see what they have.

Hi Jeff, I purchased wheel nuts from BSA at Peakhurst (Sydney). They were the tapered type, been on for two years now,.  

#19 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,535 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:10 AM

Interesting. Both rims are same year but stud holes are different design.

post-66424-0-23274000-1590907389.jpg

post-9895-0-12522300-1590923471.jpg

#20 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:44 PM

Gary the wheel nut pic I put up is not a 40T nut. The 40T suits the 1983/84 sprintmasters but does not suit those later '86 sprintmasters.

Sorry for any confusion Dave, i was trying to say, that the "40 t" style nuts suit a tapered seat. As per the 1 set that Mark has.

& the new in box set of sprintmasters that Mark has will suit the square seat pointy nuts. With a flat washer.

Hope that makes sense. You may find suppliers have a tapered cone washer like in the crabs photos though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users