AU Fan installation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _LXHATCH4ME_

_LXHATCH4ME_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:38 AM

I have a AU Fan set up that I’m about to install. Although I need a auto electrician to do the wiring. As I have NO idea about how to wire it up  or what i need. 

What’s the best way to wire it up ?

1. Do I need a override switch ? whats the benefit of it ? (I was thinking just a basic installation, fan, power, and temp sensor.
  2. Temp sensor location, I'm was going to use the senor that fits into the radiator hose ? (what temprature range do i need ?)
  3. Anyone around Altona what to wire up my Thermo fans ? (for cash)

Edited by LXHATCH4ME, 06 May 2016 - 10:49 AM.

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:32 AM

1. Depends whether you trust the thermo switch or not, it is nice to have an override (and also to see when they're on - I modified one of the switches with the LED in it so the LED is separate and lights up whenever the fans are on, regardless of the switch position)

2. The ones that go in the hose are a bit of a pain in the neck, and prone to causing hose leaks. Better to get a screw-in style switch and have a fitting on the manifold or maybe top tank of the radiator. Although generally not adjustable they are available in various temp settings, and also provide hysteresis (switch off a few degrees lower than switch on so not constantly switching on and off)

#3 _LXHATCH4ME_

_LXHATCH4ME_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

I did a bit of searching:)

I will probably go with this set up. Installation seams straight forward.

digital-thermatic-fan-switch

https://daviescraig....h-kit1224v-0444

sensor-adaptor-kit

https://daviescraig....daptor-kit-0409

Where is the best location to tie into the ignition wire ?

#4 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:25 PM

I used a Bolec FL301 behind the RH headlight, which switched two 20A relays, one for each fan.

The wiring diagram is easy to find and it will accept std senders, it just needed a bit of adjustment for on and off.

#5 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Car:'77 LX 2850 sedan
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

Not sure what you are running for an alternator but if its a factory sized Bosch or Lucas 35-55A unit prepare for flat batteries. upgrade to a Bosch 85A unit off of a VN V8. VN-VR V6 works as well but will need pulley changed from ribbed to V-belt style and housing rotated (not hard)

#6 _LXHATCH4ME_

_LXHATCH4ME_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

Can some on please post a pic of where I should connect into for power ? I'm shit at reading diagrams.

#7 Njc85

Njc85

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:19 PM

Buy a Aeroflow thermo fan controller. It's awesome have it setup in my LH 308. Sensor goes in manifold port. The unit is fully programmable to any on off temps from 0 - 150 deg. Also comes with a sensor for oil and the unit also tells charging voltage.
Best money I ever spent. Highly recommend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users