_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:26 PM

13315727_1121787954510017_58391615230494

#2 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:24 PM

Handy direct number, wonder if he would be interested in tag salesman ;)

#3 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

They are not doing enough about tag sales and even on ebay I've reported a few with no reaction from them

#4 _BGBLOK_

_BGBLOK_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:54 AM

Not the orange one with the vynil roof from Ballajura?.

#5 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

All they have to do is run the chassis number past the other States and it'll come up, who owned it, when if it was stolen (if reported) etc. No need for web searches or anything, simple.

#6 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:06 PM

I think they would know that Yel.
Perhaps hit a brick wall...
Cheers, TB

#7 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:24 PM

You'd think so but seems suss to me. If they have a chassis number starting with CLX that they believe belongs to the stolen vehicle then all they have to do is enter it in the database of the State it was last registered in and voila.

#8 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

Yel,

The vehicle data kept on-line is in a system called NEVDIS  - it is a coming together of state/territory RTA records and not always reliable.

Many cars which are unregistered for a few years (around five) or use identifiers other than the chassis number in this case are not found in it.

I know of one Torana where it's chassis number was unrecorded in NEVDIS and because it was recorded under a police issued number (which had at some stage been removed) it's history and status could not easily be discerned.

And so I expect that WAPOL likely have information requests in with all state/territory police and RTA to interrogate their databases, but this takes time, and so I suspect the FB post is a means to see what information the car community can provide in order to expedite the process.

Cheers, TB

#9 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:18 AM

That would work if the states talked to each other

But they don't

My stolen SS is still missing and I'm sure it was rebirthed in an eastern state back in about 1990

#10 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:40 AM

Correct Dattoman - this is the reality of the federation that is Australia.

In addition the jurisdictions use different methods for all manner of recording things including cars and driver licences.

And so this is what NEVDIS is for, to (as best can be done) bring together car and licence data from each jurisdiction into one central point.

The issue however is that the 'rules' applied by each jurisdiction regarding the type of data the collect, the format they collect it in and the duration for which they keep it often cause issues with the reliability of the NEVDIS database.

As an example, the ACT like many jurisdictions only keeps e-records for five years and then they sort of slide into some database backroom.  Retrieving that data is difficult and sometimes impossible - just ask Al about the wringer he has been put through with the ACT RTA for historical records concerning his XU1 V8 to no avail.

Some jurisdictions may record the cars by their PSN and some by the Chassis number and this makes things difficult.

Consistency with all manner of data between jurisdictions is a huge problem - you should see the shit-fight concerning how to consistently define a crash with injury - none could agree, and when a few go on board, others took the bat and ball and went regardless of the common-sense definition put forward - would make crash stats in their jurisdiction markedly elevate and this is bad ju-ju.  

Crazy stuff.

Cheers, TB

#11 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

Not wrong TB

ACT RTA need the Riot Act on the FOI act, put Victoria in Charge of all the rego's in every state as they know how to do it, store it and Archive it and release it under FOI.

Edited by xu2308, 08 August 2016 - 05:42 PM.

#12 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:39 PM

~ put Victoria in Charge of all the rego's in every state ~

Screw Victoria, South Australia is the system that should be in every state, hands down.

#13 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:41 PM

The real problem overall , in my opinion is that once a car is reported as stolen. The info is recorded by both the cops and the rego authority but nothing else is EVER done. There is never any follow up by anyone. And the car could drive past any copper and if it didn't stand out a speeding or a blatantly unroadworthy they would never do anything about the matter.
To my knowledge there is no linking of VIN, Chassis no , body number or engine number between the various jurisdictions.

Most inspectors at VicRoads wouldn't know a rebirth or a ground off and over stamped engine number if it bit them on the arse.

I am still to hear fro VicRoads or Victoria Police about my Torana that was stolen years ago.
I was never contacted at any time by either of them to even tell me what I needed to do about my personalised plates or anything at all really.

Very poor form.

#14 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:03 AM

It can't be that hard. All states used chassis number for these. All it takes is a phone call to NSW, VIC or QLD with the chassis number and they'd tell the WA Police if the car was registered in that State. I reckon I could do it as a cold caller to any of them.

#15 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:54 AM

Depends how long it has been since last reg. details are only kept by vicroads for a certain time.
I'm unsure of that time period, I just know that a mate of mine tried to register hi VL Commodore a few years back and Vicroads had no detail on the numbers. He had to provide them with proof of identity. It was only a stock SL with original engine.
I found that very weird, I mean it's not like a VL can be an import.

#16 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

Same deal with a Torana I had years ago. Hadn't been reg for a decade and they were unable to find any record anywhere of the numbers. Didn't matter though, proof of id, receipt and viewing of the numbers was all that was needed for reg. Pretty painless really.

#17 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

NSW have records back to the 80's electronically.

#18 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:23 PM

Same deal with a Torana I had years ago. Hadn't been reg for a decade and they were unable to find any record anywhere of the numbers. Didn't matter though, proof of id, receipt and viewing of the numbers was all that was needed for reg. Pretty painless really.

His wasn't that simple, although it should have been.
He had to track down previous owners to get an old rego number. He got it, just took time.

Just goes to show depends who is on the other side of the desk

#19 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:34 PM

NSW have records back to the 80's electronically.

Same here i think

#20 _SRC63_

_SRC63_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

I tried to get details of a car based on a NSW Rego number from the 80s and they said they couldn't do anything.

#21 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

I tried to get details of a car based on a NSW Rego number from the 80s and they said they couldn't do anything.

Try doing a NSW FOI request. It didn't work for my yellow GTS327 as it was last registered in about 1974 but it should work for anything after about 1983-ish.

Edited by yel327, 21 December 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#22 8BALL

8BALL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Name:..
  • Car:yep

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:23 PM

Not one of my rego papers here has a chassis number recorded
Just says N/A
(That's pre 1990 cars i have.)

So fat chance they're gonna find who owns my car if a chassis number is all they have.

And trying to get rego papers here changed can be a nightmare. They think you're doing a dodgy on them and call for a full inspection, if you're trying to get something sorted out.

Had a green '70 HG and the rego papers stated it was a silver '69.

I can understand the colour issue as some idiot probably just went by the name back in the day and registered it as silver cos its silver mist (green).
But not sure how they stuffed up the year.

Had to have it sorted for club rego.
What a nightmare.

#23 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

My car trailer has no chassis number either on the trailer or on the rego papers and it's been registered like that for decades, the guy still looks at me funny every year when I rock up for a pink slip, like how is he supposed to identify that it's the correct trailer, but then shrugs and says if the RTA is okay with it then so is he!

As far as the year is concerned 8BALL, I can't speak for any other states but in NSW the RTA assigns a model code to each new model vehicle when it's first released, it doesn't go by the year in which each individual vehicle is manufactured.

For example, a HQ would always be in their system as a '71 because that's the year the HQ was first released.

#24 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

If a trailer is presented for registration renewal in N.S.W the authorised examiner must identify the vehicle/trailer. If the examiner can not find an identifier the inspection report must be marked as fail, its the first tick box on the inspection report. The examiner must fill in a manual paper report and hand it to the customer. The trailer and report must be taken to an authorised I.D check (R.M.S or police special station) If the trailer is found to be not rebirthed or stolen a report is issued to the customer and referred back to the authorised inspection station which they will apply for a new Vin number for you. You will need to purchase a new Vin tag to affix to the trailer A-frame and stamp the new number on it once supplied by the inspection station. This can only be carried out by an authorised brown slip station if the trailer is over 2 tonnes gross trailer mass or blue slip station if the gross trailer mass is under 2 tonne.

Its a bit of pissing around but its much better then trying to recover it if its ever stolen, or your pulled over because one of your lights aren't working and the officer cant find an identifier and marks it as possible stolen then you have to produce original acquisition papers with identifiers. If you cant find the required paperwork the authorities can take custody of your trailer, no longer yours. All because the R.M.S or the local pink slip bloke couldn't be bothered to do the paperwork properly. Years ago the R.T.A used to put 1900 on the registration papers if for some reason they didn't have records on the Vin. The trailer still should have some form of I.D The 1900 number was originally for vehicles that didn't comply with R.T.A or Australian design rules but was put on seasonal plates, example harvesting equipment that for short distances and time frames during seasonal harvesting time.

If your trailer was manufactured and registered after 1989 it should have a 17 character Vin number. Before 1989 it should have a chassis number.

hope this helps clear it up.   

#25 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:08 PM

Now that you mention it, I think it does have 1900 as the year of manufacture on the rego papers too.

I have no idea how old this trailer really is but my old man bought it off someone back in the 70's I think and it wasn't new even then, it's really more of a plant trailer compared to what these modern folded sheet metal trailers are nowadays, built like a brick shithouse and weighs a ton (literally), but it tows like a dream.

I've been pulled over a heap of times with it and nobody has ever checked for a chassis number (touch wood), they'll typically run a transport check on it and once it comes back rego'd & current they normally want a sticky-beak at whatever is loaded onto it and then they go away happy.

BTW, did you know that if the car ON THE TRAILER is registered and bears number plates it can still be defected! I'm serious, this has happened to me, the cop said it's still a registered vehicle on a public road and had to be roadworthy, sounded bogus to me too but no point arguing, you just fail the "attitude test" and warrant more attention.

Anyway, yeah I know I should do something about it but it's been like it for so long now I just couldn't be bothered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users