Licensing for Chev LX - HP and Emissions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _Ryno364_

_Ryno364_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:17 PM

Hey guys, need a bit of advice.... I finally have my W.A. licensing centre approval paperwork for fitting the 350 Chev, Turbo 400, 9" etc and am currently at the stage where I need to purchase the engine to get this damn project on the road.

I'm torn between buying a relatively sedate crate motor (up to 330hp) which will be able to get me across the line by means of allowable horsepower (20% greater than what was available for a LX) and complying with the NCOP ADR27A vehicle emissions testing or putting in the 383 (around 420 to 450hp range) I ultimately want in the car. What has everyone else done to get their Torries across the line with regards to maximum hp and emissions testing acceptance? Do I put the crate motor in to get licensing done only to strip it down and replace most parts with heavier duty / flowing components or just put in a strong combo and fit a small / stock cam and carby (i.e. 650 vacuum secondaries) fitted? I've tried sourcing a stock motor as an interim but is it still a waste of $ considering it will be either on sold or have to rebuilt etc.

Any suggestions?

Cheers Ryan

Attached Files

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:03 AM

You can get a 350 to pass ADR27A - far easier as a manual though as you don't need an EGR valve, but most Chevy manifolds including aftermarket ones come with provision for an EGR valve. ADR27A is essentially external to the engine so if you fit all the stuff an ADR27A 308 auto had including its carby and air cleaner it should be sufficient to show compliance, but talk to an Engineer. You'd have to fit the ADR27A switch to the TH400, screw a thermal switch into the back of the head, add the little vacuum electric switch on the manifold, two thermal switches at the front of the manifold, thermal flap in the LH exhaust manifold etc. Again ask an Engineer what they worry about, I had one tell me a while back that he wasn't all that concerned with ADR27A to the letter of the law anymore.

Early LX had a 250hp engine if that helps which means 300hp limit.

Edited by yel327, 31 May 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#3 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:19 AM

Curious, do they require proof of output?

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

Just set the limiter to 3k on the dyno?

#5 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

Good question. I'm an Engineer (Electrical), and if it was an electrical "thing" I was certifying I'd look to factory GM documentation for output. So if you were allowed 300hp, I'd want you to show that it was essentially a copy of a 1968-69 L48. That is a flat top piston 350 with 64cc chamber fuelies with 165cc runners, GM general performance camshaft, dual plane intake manifold, Quadrajet, and similar dizzy timing. Or a 290hp crate engine. Or even certified dyno results for the actual engine. These hp ratings are SAE gross so the air cleaner, exhaust etc has no impact on the rating.

#6 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

In WA its cubic capacity limits based on original vehicle weight for NCOP.

All vehicles originally weighing more than 1100 kg.
Original vehicle mass (kg) x 5.0 = max. capacity in cc’s (naturally aspirated)

Or
Original vehicle mass (kg) x 3.0 = max. capacity in cc’s (forced induction)

Emissions testing might be needed but engineer will know how to comply.

Cameron

Edited by cameron, 31 May 2016 - 03:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users