Lj slant 4

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _chookies6_

_chookies6_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

Hi im thinking about getting a lj with a slant 4 engine can anyone help me out with this dont no much about them

Attached Files

#2 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:11 PM

Had a mate who had what we believed was an LJ 4 cyl 4 door with a slant 4 cyl in it. We never knew what it was. Had the Opel lightning bolt on the rocker cover. The cam seized and I think he gave the car away. And it was eventually paddock bashed.

#3 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:23 PM

Strange its running the 6 cylinder fuel pump

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:39 PM

The fully imported Vauxhall OHC slant 4 came in 1600cc and 1760cc capacities and was fitted to LC, LJ & TA Torana also CF Bedford.

The OP's pic looks like it would be at least a 1973 LJ so probably the 1760cc engine.

The UK had a 2300cc version which could be stroked to 2600cc and produced almost 250hp.

Not strange at all. The glass bowl AC fuel pump was fitted to a shitload of other engines besides the Holden Red six.

#5 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:57 PM

Well there you go learn sumfin every day on ere

#6 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

How did you go with this mate?

I was lined up to buy this but got gazumped... I had agreed to buy it for 5k (the asking price) as long as the description over the phone was accurate, and was going to pick it up at 2pm today. I was assured that I would be first dibs as I was the first to contact and first to organise. I should have gone to look at it last night but I had had a few drinks so it was touch and go as to whether I should drive.

But At 11am today I got a call from the seller that someone had offered 6k (1000 more than asking price) and the seller decided that the offer was too good to refuse so he took it. I suppose agreements aren't worth much anymore, but in saying that the seller was in financial trouble so I can understand his interest in getting as much as he can. It was impossible for me to get away from work until mid-morning hence needing to wait. I am obviously disappointed, but what do you do. I was going to buy it for my kid, so he is dissapointed.

Moral of the story is, going to work today cost me a very good buy- should have said stuff it and just chucked a sicky, but I really did have an important event on. 

Oh well. I just hope whoever bought it doesn't molest it, but my guess is that they likely will (and put a 2jz engine in it or something). Each to their own I guess.

#7 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:22 PM

Thats alot a coin for a 4banger.

A 2j wont fit unless they cut her up.Bugger that

Best to do what dave said or another 4 pot

Would be pretty qik

#8 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:48 PM

On the outside many of the different model glass bowl fuel pumps look the same but different models have a different lever arms to suit different engines and the top is sometimes rotated to a different position ie the next screw hole. At a guess there could also be various spring strengths used to alter the psi. It's simply cost effective engineering, using one body with very minor changes to make it suit multiple applications.

#9 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:00 PM

Thats alot a coin for a 4banger.

It was very neat, brand new upholstered interior and fresh paint. But engine needed work. I reckon it could be worth 8k to the right buyer, probably no more though.

#10 v6 torana

v6 torana

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:Peter

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:13 PM

Would of been interesting if you wanted to give it a test run..........no starter motor.

#11 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

Would of been interesting if you wanted to give it a test run..........no starter motor.

Yes this was the gamble, starter motor stuffed so obviously you would need to rely on sellers word that the motor is good. Its highly possible though that the motor could have issues as you wouldn't know until you ran it. I suppose you could clutch start it to check mechanicals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users