Dash wiring mess! Help me get started :)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _gtradam_

_gtradam_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:21 PM

Hi Guys,

My wiring in my dash is a mess.  There are a lot of wires from gauges, switches, stereo and more which are not connected to anything and going nowhere (i mean A LOT).  There also seems to be a few wires from the loom which have been cut and are not connected.  Also, likely related, most of the gauges on the cluster arent working, I only have the oil pressure light and speedo working.

I've never really done much with wiring besides installing gauges and audio stuff.

I thought I would have a go at tracing the wires from the loom and removing anything spliced in but when I had a look it was pretty daunting not knowing what I was removing as there were some connected straight onto the wires in the loom.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to tackle this and get things back to the way they should be?

I have a wiring diagram but i will be honest, I dont really know what to do with it.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Cheers

#2 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

Just make sure you have an earth on ya gauges if you have the dash out,I usually make one up and leave it there,I would pull the lume out and lay it on the bench you will be able to see what's not original in the way of cables,it's not to bad if you label everything and take lots piccies with ya camera/phone,get a wiring diagram

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,995 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

Where are you?

#4 _gtradam_

_gtradam_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:02 PM

Thanks hutch, I might just have to have a crack

Im in essendon

#5 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:34 PM

Was able to remove all 40 years of added wiring during the build.
Colour wiring diagram helped a lot.
Able to inspect, replace or repair wires and connectors easier out of the car.
Big job but when all fitted I haven't had any electrical gremlins what so ever.
Attached File  image.jpeg   61.55K   9 downloads
This is the body loom.

Attached File  image.jpeg   113.97K   6 downloads
This is the extra stuff removed.

#6 _gtradam_

_gtradam_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:45 AM

WOW

#7 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

If its bad pull it all out and make a new one. They don't have that much wiring to start with

#8 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

Definitley have a crack, its the only way to learn. As above, remove the loom from the car. Label all connections before you pull them off. Spend a good amount of time studying the wiring diagram and comparing it to the loom. It will hopefully start to make sense to you. Use a test light and run 12v through the wires to make sure you have the correct one and it is intact. As an example, take the green wire for your temp gauge where it connects to the sender in the head connect to a battery a test lamp and the other end where it connects to gauge. If the lamp lights up there is no issue. Repeat this for your oil pressure gauge/sender, brake warning light, indicators, you get the idea. Once your familiar with the loom and a wiring diagram, its all very basic.

#9 Grumpy

Grumpy

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Name:Neale
  • Car:LJ2door

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:31 PM

Nothing wrong with having a crack, but if you don't know then sometimes it just pays to get it done by the professionals. I'm a sparky and mine has been totally butchered by previous owners and thats why I'm going for a complete new loom. Last thing you want is the pride and joy burning to the ground from and electrical fault !!

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,291 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:35 PM

Bit of an old thread here Neale. Hopefully Adam got it sorted a few years ago!

My advice on electrical stuff like this is if it's actually bad, just pull it out properly and learn what you've actually got. Compare it to the wiring diagram. It takes a while, but then you know. You can delete everything else, and make whatever improvements/repairs that are needed. 

Then it's just good.

#11 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,808 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:58 PM

My advice is use the original loom wherever possible. Just take the time and put in the effort to tidy it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users