76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:00 AM

This is the style I use, doesn't seem to be overly common but slightly better packaged:

https://www.autolink...en-hq-hj-premie

Its still only a cheapie but seems to work fine. The part of the housing that mounts the solenoid still gets very close to the headers at the back corner but easy enough to make clearance and I haven't had any issues in many years with heat in this area, the main motor is less bulky and further away from the exhaust, plus it still has gear reduction.

I don't know if they are a slightly different brand but both the ones I have don't have the step in the mounting block (i.e. both bolts are long), I did clearance that corner a little for better extractor clearance as they were just barely touching.

As above if you want a heat shield it needs to be air gapped from both components as much as possible, a simple piece of sheet steel is going to make a big difference. The other option would be the factory VT-style starter, with the solenoid up towards the block rather than out sideways - if your headers allow it, this gives a lot more space and would allow for a simple heat shield.

#27 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:54 PM

that looks like it would fit my car & it's a bit more expensive than the aeroflow starter but I am all out of options.

Aeroflow have apparently got a smaller starter for holdens coming out in the coming months. Maybe I'll hold off & just use the jaylec for now with a few more heat shield mods that will hopefully help me get through until the new aeroflow starter is available. 

#28 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:41 PM

Hi Matt.  Based on some advice in another thread I got a Bosch starter motor and I'm pretty sure it is the BXH136 (but can't find the invoice to confirm).  If you have a look at the thread "VR/VS starter motor" there is some info there.  Mine fits fine with pacemaker extractors and Large sump.  I've got some pics which I will upload shortly.  Only thing I can't confirm is the heat issue, which is your main issue, as engine not yet running.  Cheers Ron

#29 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:34 PM

Pics didn't come out that well but here is one.  taken from the engine bay.  Cheers Ron

Attached Files

#30 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:59 PM

^ Yep that's what I meant by "VT-style", have seen them as early as VP but seems to be hit and miss as to exactly which vehicles. Great option if it suits your headers.

#31 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:59 PM

that looks like its better offset than the jaylec one I have. THe Jaylec starter's solenoid nearly hits the crossmember. I was told by Bosch importer that the 136 starter used to be able to be rotated to get more clearance but that type is no longer available. How long ago did you buy yours Cook?

#32 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:09 PM

at $701 on ebay at the moment I think i'll have to wait until the price comes back down

#33 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:38 PM

Yeah I saw that.  They are dreaming.  Should be around $200.  Cheers Ron

#34 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:50 PM

Cook - has your solenoid been rotated from standard? Mine is basically 90deg offset differently to yours.

#35 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:34 PM

Hi Matt.  No it's just as I bought it. Had to get the two long bolts to fit it up.  I still haven't found the invoice to confirm the model I bought. Cheers Ron

#36 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:42 PM

Found it.  Definitely BXH 136.  

Attached Files

#37 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:27 PM

mine is pretty much the 90deg spun to the right in comparison to that so the solenoid is nearly touching the crossmember & only about 10mm off my pacemaker extractors. I've had them HPC coated too so that should've helped a lot with heat. I might have to check up what is available in a bosch unit as that would most likely help the hot start issues greatly.

#38 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:51 PM

Matt, I'll try and get another pic from underneath (tried yesterday but not flash (pardon the pun) to give you a better perspective and with a tape measure.  At least you can get an idea if it's what you are seeking clearance wise, and for a heat shield if need be. Cheers Ron

#39 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:30 PM

Hi Matt. I tried to get some better pics but not really successful.  Unfortunately I have had a look through a Bosch catalogue and it says that BXH 136 is no longer available.  Now we know why people are asking ridiculous prices for them.  If you want to go down that track I suggest give Bosch a call and see what/if it was replaced with something else.  Alternatively I'm sure there are some used ones floating around that maybe just need a reco. I know the auto elec near me literally has a stack of starter motors sitting there. Sorry about that.  Cheers Ron

#40 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:26 PM

This is true - they are no longer made. That explains the massive asking prices on ebay for the last remaining few. I was lucky however(provided it turns up) I got a brand new bosch136 for $270 from Sydney. 

#41 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:07 PM

So my Bosch Starter will arrive sometime this week I hope - here is the pic from Bosch of it & also a pic of how the Jaylec one sits just off the crossmember. 

Next step if this new starter gets heat effected is to wrap the extractors with fibreglass wrap as HPC coating may not be enough - is it true that covering just a small part of the extractors not the whole length can create hotspots or is it ok to do that? 

Attached Files

#42 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 13 April 2020 - 10:08 PM

As above, a heat shield of 1.2mm steel sheet, or thicker with even air gap to solenoid and header either side, will make a significant difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#43 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:37 PM

Anyone had any luck finding a BOSCH BXH136 or 138 lately or know of another Bosch or similar quality equivalent?

#44 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:27 AM

Hey mate, I’ve just been through this myself chasing a Bosch BXH136 for a VR 5litre. Tried a heap of different places but couldn’t get one anywhere. As mentioned earlier - there is an EBay seller who must have some old stock but they are asking around $700 - $800 which is criminal. Just out of principle alone I would never pay that much.

The legends over on the aussiev8 forums pointed me to Baxter’s which come highly recommended. Local Victorian based company who make a factory / Bosch style unit. I ordered on the phone and paid for a courier - it was in my hands about 4 hours later, all up under $200.

Yet to install it, but confident it’ll do the job nicely.

Look them up - photos on their website.

#45 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:20 AM

I found a genuine bosch 136 a few month ago on ebay it was a little more than the cheaper versions at $270 but that is still much less than $700 I saw elsewhere. My car has never started better once fitted along with a solenoid added in the line to keep the voltage up.

#46 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:35 AM

You've done very well to find one at that price!

In the interests of knowledge sharing - some interesting reading below and a link to the Baxter's offering:

https://www.aussiev8...bolts-info.html

https://www.baxters....vs-v8-5-0l.html

#47 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:19 PM

Great thanks Brett! Will look into it

#48 Antman

Antman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Name:Anton Mann
  • Car:Torana Hatchback

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:28 PM

Thought I would add a couple pics of mine. Researching the Same atm. This is the stock starter from VT 304 with heat shield. Pacemaker extractors. There is approx 10 mm clearance.This starter is on its last legs. Cant seem to find a replacement with the heat shield. I am not exactly sure if it needs the heat shield however I would prefer it. I can most likely swap the heat shield over onto the replacement though.

I will continue searching for a replacement. The Repco ones seem the most suitable at this point. Any leads on a suitable replacement would be helpful. Option 2 is rebuild this one. 

Cheers

Sorry about the sideways shots  ;)

Attached Files

#49 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:36 PM

I got the Baxter’s and am happy with it so far, however it has probably only started the car 10 or so times and haven’t tested it much heat soaked etc. 

Was a little tighter fitting on my CAE VN head extractors and required a little tappy tap. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users