#2 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:12 PM

Nice, watched race 4, looked pretty good racing.

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:58 AM

Done good Chris, I love the three different camera angles.

That's a sweet noise too, although I found myself leaning into the corners and stomping on my imaginary brake pedal coming into turn 2 (Race 3 @ 4:40)!

C'mon Craig, can't wait to hear that LS2 at full noise?

#4 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,833 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:01 PM

far out Chris....some close racing there!!...bet you had Fu$%^n   BMW nightmares for a week.!

Your car seems well sorted as it goes where you point it.

Nice work with the multi cameras too

#5 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

Nice Chris - is that the new motor ?

thanks for the race hit - it's been five months.

also where did you get your steering wheel extension from .

g

#6 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:05 PM

C'mon Craig, can't wait to hear that LS2 at full noise?

Booked to fire it up tomorrow week. TuneCorp are putting a base tune in it and getting it going.

#7 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:07 PM

Cheers guys, yeah it's pretty close for positions. BMW got shoved into me from another car, wasn't too pleased but it's racing I suppose. Grant no it's still the old motor new one will be in for the September race meeting, I got the extension from EBay then got the dished wheel from auto sport in Adelaide. I've just put new shocks and sway bars on the car, I need to do a few more test days yet with new tyres, also I'm putting in a Detroit locker for the next round too. Which should help a bit with turn in and mid corner push. Mew motor from Mike Dyer engines should give me a bit more straight line speed hopefully. Old motor had 231hp at the rears (not too bad) new motor I'm expecting more hp. Torque was great though, it's hard to calculate exactly as it's done on a chassis dyno but it was way up there 800lbs mark. Will have more info once it's tuned and run in.

#8 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

Sounds great Chris... who dynoed the old motor?

Edited by LC-GTR-1969, 05 August 2016 - 08:16 PM.

#9 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

Hey Justin, new motor will be in the car for next round. Power runs and figures were done on the old motor in the car with 3:08 ratio, new motor will be roller crammed, more comp, carbies tuned and a new soft mount kit. Still using 1 of the Irving Heads, (your old one has been serviced but not used this time) other than that it's all new bolts throughout new rocker gear. The whole nine yards, I'm really keen to drive it with the new motor as it should be more responsive and have more top end. Old motor was flat tappet and has done 3/4 seasons. Will keep you updated.

#10 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:48 PM

Hey Justin, new motor will be in the car for next round. Power runs and figures were done on the old motor in the car with 3:08 ratio, new motor will be roller crammed, more comp, carbies tuned and a new soft mount kit. Still using 1 of the Irving Heads, (your old one has been serviced but not used this time) other than that it's all new bolts throughout new rocker gear. The whole nine yards, I'm really keen to drive it with the new motor as it should be more responsive and have more top end. Old motor was flat tappet and has done 3/4 seasons. Will keep you updated.

Cheers Chris, definitely keep us posted... My wife is back at work now so I am starting to save again to get another head and will put a new engine together. My engine is tired also so looking at screwing a new bottom end together and when funds are available, ill try to buy a good alloy head- maybe HSD will have finished their Irving copies by then, but no idea what they will charge for them.

#11 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:54 PM

Tilleys over at Brookvale, they will also do the tune for me once the motor is in and been run in

#12 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:07 PM

Tilleys over at Brookvale, they will also do the tune for me once the motor is in and been run in

Cool... I asked as I would like a good tuner for triples... not many around these days

#13 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

Yep they would be your men, Cameron's pacer is a great example.

#14 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

A little birdy told me that you got some impressive numbers out of the new engine on a conservative dyno .

nice 

#15 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

Yeah I was really impressed by the power the new motor produced. I was hoping for a 10 - 15% increase, but was stoked with the new donk. We ended up getting closer to 20% which is great, still pretty awesome for a motor which runs at 6800rpm for 20 mins at a time.

#16 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:29 PM

making all that power under 6800 as well.

Mines firing on monday and dyno on tuesday so i'm looking forward to a smile.

are you running on pump fuel 98 ?

#17 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:44 PM

No leaded 100, it would be great if you could use those Irving/Duggan heads in group n. They are period sort of, the Falcons and mustangs get to use aftermarket alloy heads don't they ? It would really make the torana said get up and boogie.

#18 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:47 PM

Maybe look at getting some leaded 100 it really is safer for the motor and gives you a little bit extra power too.

#19 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:12 PM

Falcons and Mustangs have been given the freedom to use later new cylinder heads but they are still cast iron.

#20 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

Ah ok, I get it. Still it would be great to use them, it would make life easier haha.

#21 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

Falcons and Mustangs have been given the freedom to use later new cylinder heads but they are still cast iron.

from  what mike dyer has said the new aftermarket ( these heads are un touched heads )  or accepted mustang heads flow out of the box the same as a set of old heads with heaps of money thrown at then  - cannot see the fairness in that at all.

I have always thought that a natural progression would be a J zed head as they equate to the same cost of a group NC head.

chris you probably got the latest oily rag mag from the HSRCA where they talked about the use of " continuation of lines " of cars , in this instance they talked about the use of Jaguar racing re creations . 

the argument was that they suspension and other points of the car could be varied and modified and who would know ?

If you look at the current NC and  if the  racing group was to be expanded to the Lx Lh then this would also kill the lower powered spec cars or at least discourage the effort of the remaining  parties.

racings a funny game, your never happy with were you are unless it's at the front !! 

cannot wait to see your machine with the extra HP - it's going to be  a weapon 

G

three cents 

#22 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:05 PM

Very true, come out next weekend if you want to have a look. It's the final round 17th and 18th SMSP just let me know if you want to come out, I should have a spare ticket if needed. I hope you will be as impressed with Mikes skills as we are he builds a gun motor !!

#23 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:59 AM

I can offer a bit of background on this matter and a number of the other freedoms that have been allowed for other cars.

The reason that the Mustangs ad some of the other Fords were given the freedom to use new aftermarket heads was for several reasons.

One was the fact that the waterjacket through th head was very close to the mounting boss for the rocker post.. I have seen the heads in sliced open through this area and the side wall was very thin when new. What was happening that heads were literally tearing themselves apart because of the weakness of the metal when the inside of the cooling ports rusted out. Now remember these heads are now 40+ years old. And in the case of an Nb Mustang or Fairlane of the period over 50 years old.

It was not just happening on the original heads. It was happening on the GT40 heads and virtulally any Ford manufactured head of the peeriod.

So what do we do.

Tell all the mustang guys to go suck eggs and spend heap of money on a cylinder head only to have it fail after a couple of meetings.

That's a sure way of not having cars on the grid.

After a lot of research and tooing and froing an option was found, A  properly prepared submission was put to the Historic Car Commission for the freedom to use one particular aftermarket cylinder head, identified by a particular part number.That was the only cylinder head approved.Anything else was not permitted. The head had to remain in standard form as from the box and no additional portig was allowed to be done with the exception of it being allowed to have the inlet ports matched to the inlet manifold.

There was also the scarcity component of these heads particularly for the 289 Windsor engines. Not all that many of these cars came into the country and virtually all the heads had the same problems. severe internal corosion.

Freedoms for the use of later components have ben given to just about every car in the category..

Alternators have been allowed to all cars in place of generators. Electronic distributors have been given to all cars except that MSD's are not permitted. One problem with the electronic distributors was found that the modules were failing particularly on Lotus Cortinas so they were given to permission to mount the module remotely on the body as opposed to on the dissy on the engine. This was done because the vibrations of those particular engine was destroying the modules. A simple and practical solution but it had to  be done the correct way to get it done.

EH holdens are allowed to use the 173 cylinder bock because there are no non rusted out 179's around and they can also use the 3 speed all synchro gear box because there are not that many parts for the original that was continually breaking. Have a look at an original EH gearbox they are very flimsy.

Minis are now allowed to us a dog box system as the synchros were breaking all the time.

LJ Toranas were given permission to use the Black/Blue motor 3.3 cylinder blocks for the same reasons as the EH with the 179. To get that through was quite involved and  checking that thecast iron was of a similar consistency and it came down to slicing up a red 202 and a black 3.3 to check that the cross section of both blocks were essentially the same.

Sadly the same cant be said to the 9 port heads as compared to the later 9 port heads and 12 port head or even the now repro XU1 cylinder heads. And any alloy head  I can't see getting through as it is a change of port design, material and was never available in large numbers in the period. Definitly not from GMH at the time.

They have been looked at and knocked back.

I'm sure there are a lot of other freedoms that have been given. It is a pretty thorough procedure that needs the agreement of every state association and the agreement of every eligibility officer before it is put to the HCC. If one state or EO says no then it probably wont even get to the HCC for consideration.

Just for info  and so you know where I'm coming from on these matters I have been a member of the AppJ assoc of Vic/HTCAV since 1984. I was on the committe of the APPJ assoc of Victoria and the HTCAV  for about 10 years being everything up to the secretary and treasurer.

I was the club secretary when the original regulations to Group Nc were drafted and somehwere have the minutes of all the meeting held to try and get a set of workable regulations.

The current regulation are quite differentfrom the original as put together but reflect the input of quite a number of people over a long period of time.

The original rgulations did not include any cars that were raced as series production cars. It was only for cars that raced in the period1964-72 that raced in either the Aust Tourung Car Championship or in the Improved Touring Car category. During that time 1964-72 there wer about  6 different sets of regulations thet had to be amalgamated to get one coherent set that was agreeable to everyone and including the CAMS.

Did we get it right? Probably not but it was a start and they have evolved to where we are today . They'll probably keep evolving and get tinkered with but in general they are pretty good.

Not every one is happy but you can't pleas all the people all the time. If we please some of them were are doing OK.

Here endeth the lesson.

#24 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

Sounds pretty fair to me, I don't in any way disagree I love having Galaxies,Sprints,mustangs,comets,custom lines,Falcons and every single group n car on the grid. I'm a 35 yo guy who has always been in love with historic touring cars, the sound, sights and smells of every car in that class is better to me than anything from about 1992 onwards. I also understand that if it was raced as is in 72 you cannot do it now. Some freedoms allowed for cars to be on the grid, I've owned a 69 Mazda R100 and there is very little way you can find enough housings and distributors for them so I could completely understand the freedoms for cars. No arguments here at all, always enjoy watching the variety.

Sorry was not raced in 72 you cannot do it now. ^^^^^

#25 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

thanks peter for the input and the time to put my five beer post in it's place !!

it's a real problem out there keeping these cars going with parts etc. 

Agree with Chris it's a great bunch of people that enter these events which makes it all worth while.

G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users