Rolled the LJ - what to do next?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

Sadly, we had an incident while running in a supersprint on the weekend. My dad was driving in the last run of the day, when the tail stepped out at Turn 5 (Eastern Ck GP).... it looked like a harmless spin, until both right side wheels hit the soft grass at the same moment, and the car gently rolled onto it's side, and then to the roof...

Fortunatly dad was OK, the only casualty being his shoelace that had to be cut free of the pedal so he could get out.

So now, what to do with the car? Is it repairable, do I attempt to find another good shell to 're-body' it, or do I cut my losses & strip it & sell it for parts and start again with something else...?

While it's still on the trailer, we're going to run around to a couple of panel beaters today to get some opinions, and that will hopefully help to clarify the options, but I'd be interested to get thoughts & opinions from you guys if you know of anything like this being succesfully repaired?

P.s - I'm sure you can all imagine how much this is hurting right now, so please keep the comments 'nice'....

Attached Files

#2 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

Sorry to hear but glad everyone is ok.

Going by that photo, and considering it's a race car, that looks fixable (to a race car standard). Just knock it straight, bit of moose and a quick paint?

#3 midget81

midget81

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Name:Terry
  • Car:76 LX Hatchback,77 LX SS

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

That sucks to see that but glad your dads ok
I also have crashed at turn 5 (riding Ducati 999R)
Anyway back to the car, it can be repaired quite easily, please don't destroy another shell
Good luck with repair

Edited by midget81, 15 August 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#4 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:25 AM

Sad news but like said above good your Dad didn't get hurt.

Once the initial shock wears off Will be easier to think about and looks like it is worth fixing.
Try getting in there on the floor and push the roof out with your legs or something, car looks too good to part out.

Good luck with the repair,

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

If both the doors still open and close I don't think you will have to many issues repairing it.

#6 _cool72_

_cool72_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

That really sucks mate.

I would say to step back for a couple of days and then have another think.

I would try to fix her up

Glen

#7 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hi mate, id agree with bomber obviously we both have the same trade. Im sure he'd agree that if you were try try & push the repair out. It needs to be done carefully as to not stretch the steel as much as possible, although it can be shunk & nowadays people don't use a oxy & heat a massive area. Pretty much i have always been told & done keeping a shrink as small as possible & as least amount of heat as possible because the heat dose damage the steel. If it's repairable at a good price i would go that way, but it's your call or sell another guy with more experience or contacts the shell & get yourself another, if you wish to continue racing ! Even if you can only afford the repairs & no paint for the time. Don't forget if its getting repaired all windscreens ect must be fitted to make sure everything is right before painting ect. Gary.

#8 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:26 PM

Thanks guys.

Took it to a couple of panel shops today, and very relieved to hear from both that it is definitely fixable, and from the one 'ballpark' estimate I got of $6-8k for panel & paint, much more cost effective to repair than other alternatives I had considered.

I should mention that the car is not strictly a 'race' car, but is road registered and does second car duties as well as track work.....

So now the stripdown starts....

#9 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

Sad to see that mate.
I am not a panel guy, but that certainly looks fixable as you say above.

Glad your Dad is OK, ...Ive been at a FOSC ? HSRCA ? day with you at SMP and that is a good car mate...way to good to flick.

Best wishes with the repairs.

#10 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

So insurance does cover Motorsport events then ?

#11 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

Fix it, I had the same thing happen to me 8 weeks out before a trip to Darwin for the IPRA nationals. Every panel on the car was damaged, got it fixed up by John Burke he runs a E49 charger in historic touring cars. It's definitely repairable, don't part it out too much invested. Get stuck in and repair it, his workshop is up at Oakdale, give me a call if you want his number. 0407913770.
Cheers Chris.

#12 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

I think you can get it for track incidents...never priced it though.

#13 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

Sue your Dad?......................Good luck with the rebuild!

#14 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

Positivly fixable. I sent the photo to a 'beater mate and he said it is.

#15 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

Hi Jason

Sorry to hear of the rollover. Good that your Dad is OK.

Fix it.

It's far too nice a car that you have invested a lot of effort in and has given you and your family so much enjoyment.

Don't let it go to someone else.

Regards

Steve

#16 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:00 PM

Give Adrian Read a call If you would like a second opinion. I know him and he's very good.. The biggest problem is he is here in Hastings Victoria. But if no one will touch it in Sydney it may be worth the trip.

Adrian races a  Mini in Group N as does his father. Both Adrian Read and Len Read are on Facebook

Adrian Read Smash Repairs

Hastings Victoria

03 5979 8185

#17 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:08 AM

Thanks Everyone,

Yes, it was a big relief to hear that it could be repaired - the last thing I wanted to do was strip it & sell it for parts, but when I saw it go over I thought that was the end of it.

And when I started looking around for replacements, I was blown away by how much the values seem to have risen in the last few years!

It was such a good body on it, and always attracted a lot of attention & comments - never the fastest on the track, but always great fun and we've had really good reliability from it too...

And in 10 years of running supersprints (8 years with dad), we've never put as much as a scratch on it..... and while we've seen a few cars damaged from hitting walls, etc,  I can't remember any other roll overs in that time.

It was just a freak accident - a few degree's difference in the angle of the car as it left the track, and I'm sure it would have just slid to a stop on the grass as it has so many times before....

Looking forward to the rebuild now, and freshen up a few things that I was never really happy with before.

MkII will be better than before!

#18 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:01 PM

Great news.

Going the same colour ?

#19 joeseph

joeseph

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Name:Joeseph
  • Car:LJ XU-1 ex-owner

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

Good to hear your dad's okay & the cars fixable.

#20 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

I was considering a colour change for 'MKII', but as one of the panel beaters said, then they have to spray inside all the apertures as well, where if we keep it the same colour they only need to do the outside....

I'll at least get all the blackouts done properly this time

#21 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:59 AM

I reckon it looks good in that colour.

#22 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

Yeah, my wife said that too..... and you know what that means!

#23 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:34 PM

we should move this to the " members project area" . 

Are you putting a whole new roof on it or are the going to straighten it in place.

A friend of mine went to morgan park hysterical , got hit up the back, and wiped the front off his passenger side all in two days  

good luck with the repairs 10 yrs racing and one incident that's pretty good going even if it was bad luck.

g

I did have a roof that was going on another torana which rolled - but he never used it.

good luck with the repairs 10 yrs racing and one incident that's pretty good going even if it was bad luck. ps it's not that good 

Edited by Agent 34, 17 August 2016 - 06:34 PM.

#24 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

Dare I say, for a rollover it doesn't look too bad! I had expected to see more carnage.

Shame to hear, but so good that you've been consistently driving the wheels off this thing and awesome that you can fix it up.

#25 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

It's a blue day today.... looks like we need to find a donor roof.... & I don't expect that to be easy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users