Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:49 PM

I remember the day ( I knew I had to have one ) My Torana Story .

Walking home from my best friends house around 13 years old . From Elizabeth Down to Elizabeth North . From several streets away I could hear the sound the Rumble . I remember thinking wow I wonder what that beast is . The further I walked the closer the Rumble . And closer . I remember thinking this rumble sounds like its coming from the other side of this garaged with a roller door . Then the roller door opened just as I walked past . Green and Black SLR 5000 . Twin exhaust and drop tank . Still 30 years has pasted and I can still remember that day . Just like it was yesterday

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

Dreamin

#3 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:05 PM

e30ff8671661bd66306524b8ca9c7547.jpg

#4 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:42 PM

I have a similar story although my first car wasnt a rumbler, more a rev titter.

I remember a black and silver SLR5000 used to come down my street to pick up his girlfriend a few doors down. Thats when the Torana bug started.

I also remember seeing a few Salamanca red GTR-XU1's rolling around town. Absolutely loved those cars and wish I'd bought a few back then as a decent one was only about 3.5k.

My first car I wanted to buy was this HJ Statesman that had a 350 chev, turbo 400, B&M shifter combo, wanted 5k for it. Car ran awesome with plenty of power. Old man said your not buying that you'll kill yourself.

Nice orange 4 door LJ Torana auto with 138 came up for sale around the corner. Paid 2.7k for it with the help from the bank and it was a good car. Used to rev the crap out of it, 110km in 2nd gear and never let me down once. Used to get pulled over by the jacks almost every day or at least a couple of times a week.

I had to trade it in because my girlfriends x boyfriend got a bit jealous and painted the c word with paint stripper on the side of the car lol. Payback was fun when he copped a whack over the head with a pool cue from a friend I knew which put him in hospital. Not long after he got charged with criminal offenses and was sent to jail for a bit. I continued to enjoy f****** his x misses

Edited by LHSL308, 29 August 2016 - 11:50 PM.

#5 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:46 PM

Yes, good car's Torana's,

went for a spin in an LC GTR,

then bought it for $1400 in 1982.

but in 1985, I seen a RED XU1 for sale for $6500,

with yellow background and black writing XU1-008 number plates,

couldn't afford it, but the salesman took us for a spin anyway.

3 of us the XU1, and it took off sliding sideways into the next lane,

and I looked back at Greg in back seat, 

thinking this is powerful yeah baby. :)

So the addiction lives on, 8 Torana's later

Edited by N/A-PWR, 29 August 2016 - 11:58 PM.

#6 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:17 AM

I stood tippy toed to peer through the drivers window of an green LC GTR just down from Klosters Ford in Newcastle at about 5 years of age. The GTR badge on the black door trim burned a place in my memory and I have one. Paid $400 bucks for it. I've had it for around 25 years and its not going into anyone else's garage for a long time.

Regards

#7 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:21 AM

I love reading the story of our forum members being bitten by the Torana bug . I know we all have a story . The passion / The power / our childhood memories . Tell us how it happened . I can picture your stories and use my imagination as I read them .

#8 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:45 AM

I remember it like it was only yesterday.

It was a cold, windy night as we docked in Sydney after my final stint in ‘nam.  It was August 1973, coincidentally about the same time as the release of the special Bathurst XU-1.

As we disembarked, there was a sea of family members, partners etc. at the dock welcoming loved one’s home.

Burnsy (My Platoon captain)’s gal, who just happened to be one of the hottest chicks out, was leaning against a strike me pink XU-1 that looks like it had just rolled off the factory floor.  Despite the cold, she was wearing the shortest little skirt I had ever seen, huge platforms, and one of those really tight turtle neck jumpers, she kicked up one leg and gave this cheeky little smile and wave…. After months in the jungle, all I could think about was pink on pink. 

A few years later, was at a reunion and Burnsy was still with his gal, Alice.  Unfortunately he had a few too many and after a rather loud, public argument, ended up leaving with one of the male nurses, I always thought he was a bit of a fudge packer, turns out he picked the colour of the XU-1.

Alice headed towards the exit, but tripped, breaking a heel off her leopard skin printed high heels.   I was on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.   A  couple of rivets borrowed from my britches later and it was good to go.

She was a little distraught and asked could I walk her to her car. 

As we exited the hall, the cold night air hit her blouse, the movement beneath was instant and I found it difficult to focus on anything else.

We got to the car, the same XU-1 I had drooled over years earlier.  After a few questions, she proceeded to give me a run down on all the modifications she had done.  Was quite surprising for a car now only 3-4 years of age.  Thankfully Alice removed the 202, which she described as being about as exciting to drive as a short bus in a snow storm.  In its place a proper 308…. Damn this chick was perfect !

To cut a long story short, I ended up getting my pink on pink dream.  And to this day, despite loving an XU-1, dislike strike me pink, people who think a 202 is fast and gay Daisy Chains with hot girlfriends !

#9 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

Some time circa late 1978 - early 1979 - too long ago to be sure.

I was visiting my grandparents up near Laurieton on the NSW mid-north coast for school hols.

My grandfather, Mac, was a funny old bugger and had stacks of car magazines due to love of driving and his peculiar habits leaving all the deliver plastics on seats and door cards due to his turning cars over every couple of years, not to mention his attempt to remove 'stale' petrol from the tank once using a vacuum cleaner...

I digress.  In any case, I picked up this particular magazine one day - Wheels from July 1978:

Cover%20-%20Wheels%20-%20July%201978_zps

And I read the article: Long live the supercar by Bill Tuckey:

Page%2018_zpstpfmbo5q.jpg

Page%2019_zpss5b5xf0b.jpg

Page%2020_zpsccucav2r.jpg

Page%2021_zps0no1ajjg.jpg

Page%2022_zps4fskkl4t.jpg

Page%2023_zpsw6ok5gwt.jpg

Page%2024_zpshwam9ow9.jpg

That was it for me - pity it took me what, more than 30 years to actually get myself one :)

Cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 30 August 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#10 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:47 AM

Adam you are a wasted talent, you should really start writing for Mills and Boon :)

#11 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:58 AM

Did you notice 1325 kgs was the weight details, 400 small block might squeeze in under NCOP ?

#12 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

As a young teenager I fell in love the SL/R5000 and always wanted to get one when I was older. It eventually transpired about 10 years later.  Have had 4 of the suckers now :-) Still my favourite Torry :-)

#13 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

Great thread idea.

I grew up in Northcote (inner North East suburbs of Melbourne) which was pretty ethnic in the 90's; lots of concrete front yards, tall brick houses with white columns etc. For automotive reasons it was pretty cool to be a little white kid growing up in a woggy area.

Had a TD Cortina next door, a bay window camper in my little street, across the road was a HQ Belmont and an old Merc, occasionally one of their family members would come around with a '68 Camaro vert, red duco and a white interior. Hell yeah, and in the passenger seat he kindly indulged me by laying some 11's. Pretty sweet experience for a sub-teen who'd just talked his way into a blockie in some random's car :P

I remember being probably 10 years old or something when I was walking along near the bowling alley and a touch LH/LX Torana pulled up with some aspiration out the bonnet and a good rumble. I gave him a thumb up and then proceeded to cross the pedestrian crossing in front of him and he revved it up and scared the shit out of me when I was directly in-front of his car hahaha.

Around the corner was a Mint Julep LX L31 sedan, no flares or anything, pretty darn stock.

When I was 14 I bought myself a Mint Julep LX that I proceeded to restore to this... I wonder where I drew the inspiration lol

P1060591-2.jpg

And I think you guys know the rest :P

Edited by Heath, 30 August 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#14 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

Never liked them growing up, was into gemini's and vl's

Had a vs for a daily and it spun a pulley and i needed to get to work. Borrowed brother's 253 4 speed LX. Had to do 100km round trip to work every day for a week in Winter with a vent leak and a misty rain spray lol

Made a Torana purchase soon after

So really it was my brother's fault, he then sold his when he has kids and i still have mine 10 years later...

#15 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

I remember it like it was only yesterday.

It was a cold, windy night as we docked in Sydney after my final stint in ‘nam.  It was August 1973, coincidentally about the same time as the release of the special Bathurst XU-1.
As we disembarked, there was a sea of family members, partners etc. at the dock welcoming loved one’s home.

Burnsy (My Platoon captain)’s gal, who just happened to be one of the hottest chicks out, was leaning against a strike me pink XU-1 that looks like it had just rolled off the factory floor.  Despite the cold, she was wearing the shortest little skirt I had ever seen, huge platforms, and one of those really tight turtle neck jumpers, she kicked up one leg and gave this cheeky little smile and wave…. After months in the jungle, all I could think about was pink on pink. 

A few years later, was at a reunion and Burnsy was still with his gal, Alice.  Unfortunately he had a few too many and after a rather loud, public argument, ended up leaving with one of the male nurses, I always thought he was a bit of a fudge packer, turns out he picked the colour of the XU-1.

Alice headed towards the exit, but tripped, breaking a heel off her leopard skin printed high heels.   I was on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.   A  couple of rivets borrowed from my britches later and it was good to go.
She was a little distraught and asked could I walk her to her car. 

As we exited the hall, the cold night air hit her blouse, the movement beneath was instant and I found it difficult to focus on anything else.

We got to the car, the same XU-1 I had drooled over years earlier.  After a few questions, she proceeded to give me a run down on all the modifications she had done.  Was quite surprising for a car now only 3-4 years of age.  Thankfully Alice removed the 202, which she described as being about as exciting to drive as a short bus in a snow storm.  In its place a proper 308…. Damn this chick was perfect !

To cut a long story short, I ended up getting my pink on pink dream.  And to this day, despite loving an XU-1, dislike strike me pink, people who think a 202 is fast and gay Daisy Chains with hot girlfriends !

Your drinking has turned you into a drunk bumbling idiot in your dreams lover boy you couldnt get a root in a brothel

#16 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:55 PM

Your the man Skap , Love your work . I feel I was there with you on that night . Can you tell me anymore about the cold air hitting her blouse ect . Nipple movement

#17 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:25 PM

I imagine my story is a fairly common one, I hold dear old Brocky and the all-conquering A9X Hatch at Bathurst to blame.

As the old saying goes: "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday"!

#18 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:33 PM

Now lets be clear..Ive never read a Penthouse or other such publications...but....Skap?...are you sure you
didnt used to write some of those ""letters to the editor"" type stories??

#19 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:49 PM

Now lets be clear..Ive never read a Penthouse or other such publications...but....Skap?...are you sure you
didnt used to write some of those ""letters to the editor"" type stories??

Col,

I was thinking the same thing when I saw Skap's post this afternoon - your post proves yet again that I've never, ever, had an original idea in my life...

Skap is a funny, funny bastard especially when he found a way (yet again) to weave Gene into his account and then get a bite for doing so :)

Cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 30 August 2016 - 07:49 PM.

#20 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

Ha Ha TB....dont be so hard on yourself mate.
Us blokes that have never read a Penthouse need to stick together!!..wink

#21 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

Col,
I was thinking the same thing when I saw Skap's post this afternoon - your post proves yet again that I've never, ever, had an original idea in my life...
Skap is a funny, funny bastard especially when he found a way (yet again) to weave Gene into his account and then get a bite for doing so :)
Cheers, TB

Glad to see someone picked up on the inclusion of the male nurse ;)

#22 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

Glad to see someone picked up on the inclusion of the male nurse ;)

The only thing you will be nursing is a couple of black eyes my friend

#23 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:13 PM

It's pushing my memory a bit - but I recall being completely, totally, and utterly obsessed with Torana's from a very early age. My very first encounter wasn't actually positive though! Mum had a blue 2 door LJ which was used to ferry us kids to school. At the time we hated that car due to being cramped into the back with no real windows! This was really early years (primary school). That LJ was traded in to buy a Ford Telstar!!!!!!!!! Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh! LOL. If only we knew what the future would hold.

Later on my older sisters daily runabout was a neat LH 4 door. I remember helping Dad out fixing it all the time and pulling it straight with chains around trees after frequent prangs. Still no light bulb moments, but Torana's were on my radar.

Somewhere along the lines, I got hooked (and I mean really hooked) on the regular Torana magazines of the era (think Torana Mania, Torana Power etc). Early 90's I'd guess. And of course Street Machine magazine was the highlight of my month. I was never interested in any other cars, and just knew I was destined to become a Torana owner.

This was cemented further in early to mid high school years - one of the older girls at school was picked up each day by an older boyfriend who drove a heavily modified yellow and black SLR5000 with the works - loud, mean, and phat - it sent shivers down the spine. At the time I thought cars like that were out of reach, but dreamed of having my own one day.

Just as a side note - this was back in the glory days where the Trading Post newspaper was full of pages and pages and pages of Torana's.... and small price-tags! That became the new highlight of my week!

Dad ended up continuing the theme in the family - shelling out some decent coin at the time for a super sleek fully rebuilt (borderline showcar) V8 powered flared LH. I was in heaven. That car became both a daily driver and workhorse though, and lived a hard life.

Anyway, all this resulted in my first Torrie coming home (same car I still own now), back in 1996 for a whopping $1,600. (I was 16 and loving it)!!! Absolute best time of my life, very happy memories.

Edited by LXCHEV, 30 August 2016 - 10:13 PM.

#24 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:54 PM

My obsession with Toranas started at about 15 watching Bathurst every year for as long as i remember i had to have a 5000
but alas all the ones i looked at were flogged to death so i bought a bog stock 3 speed tree auto big block 173 lol
12 months later and a shit load of money new black paint with blue pearl ,gold diamond stiched velvet trim it was the 80s
new 308 ,4speed ,new wheels and as they say the rest is history
i did end up getting an SLR but it was only a 4.2 auto
now LJ GTR still not the longest car ive owned that title goes to my Sandman 29 years now
all good times in all those cars and a few loss of licenses to lol

#25 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:29 PM

yes,

did not mention my Uncle Peter had a 4 door Torana when I was younger,

about 1974 and I always liked the centre fuel filling for either side filling when I was there.

LC or LJ, not sure, hmm? must ask Peter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Torana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users