adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name:Adrian Haynes
  • Car:1974 LH

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:43 AM

Although it is not beyond being repaired, I think I may well need to re roof my hatchback project.

Just the roof skin itself not the pillars or anything like that.

Obviously a roof cut off a rusty or cut up shell someone has would be ideal, but these are as rare as the proverbial I'm assuming.

Has anyone done one by getting someone to shape a new piece of sheet metal? How difficult is this and how many people are around that can do it? I'm assuming it is an English wheel type of job?

I am in Canberra and would really appreciate any advice from someone who has done this before and/or if anyone has a shell or a hatchback roof cut they are willing to sell that would be even better.

I'm a little torn as to go this way or repair my existing roof (Issue are slight heat warping from a sunroof replacement and i've had to cut out a section at the rear to get at the hatch hinge support panel as it is badly rusted. As I cut out the section the roof seemed to jump out of shape once I removed this section.)

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

#2 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:53 AM

Would be far easier to just replace the roof skin off an old shell, not a big job to someone who works in the industry.

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

Send the car to QLD for some dirtbag action

Tim has removed sunroofs from at 3 hatches I know of

#4 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

MySS427

Yeah thanks Brett, I was thinking along those lines but finding a roof skin off an old shell is going to by my issue.

I have a second UC shell but it is in far too good condition to take the roof off and i've already started the LX conversion on it.

Finding a roof skin is the issue for me.

Dattoman

Ha ha thanks mate, wouldn't I love to be able to send it up there to him!

Edited by adrianh08, 31 August 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#5 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

I have a mate who has one already cut off a sedan, and has been media blasted already.

#6 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:24 PM

I assumed the sedan roof was a lot different to the hatch roof?

I thought the front was the same but the further back the roof goes the more the shape changes?

Youd know more than me here but how much of a sedan roof would be the same?

#7 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

yes different, but if you only need to repair, you could inlay the majority of sedan roof into hatch roof. Would have to see whats stuffed on your roof, as you said finding a good donor hatch roof will be as easy as finding hens teeth.

#8 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

Basically mate i've attempted to fill in the sunroof hole and it has warped a bit from heat at the front so a sedan roof would definitely work for this area. Is your mate willing to sell the one he has?

At the back I have taken a piece out about 15cm deep and the width of the roof to get at the rusted out hinge support section underneath. If I can get this piece back in neatly then that wont be an issue. What worried me was how the roof reacted when I removed this piece and if I can get it back in again properly after I finish the repairs underneath. Depending on your time if you were interested in coming to have a look and giving me your opinion id really appreciate it.

#9 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

Do you know Bevo? He's got it from the shell at Craig's. Give him a buzz, organise a time and will pop over.

#10 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:34 PM

Is Bevo the one with the green sedan? Mark?

Or is he the one that used to have a hatch and is now building a sedan?

Mate my number is 0431260286, if you can shoot me a text so I have your number ill definitely get in touch and get you to come and have a look at a time that suits you.

#11 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:26 AM

Find an experienced metal worker and just repair your current turret. You won't find a hatch turret and you will do more damage with a sedan one.

Have you tried panel beating it after you welded it?

#12 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:54 PM

Find an experienced metal worker and just repair your current turret. You won't find a hatch turret and you will do more damage with a sedan one.
Have you tried panel beating it after you welded it?

Hi mate. Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried panel beating it. I think it's a case of heat shrinking the skin and hammer and dolly back into shape I guess.
This is beyond me. I think I need to get an experienced panel beater to look at it and tell me the best way to go.
I've enjoyed doing it all myself so far but this one is definitely for a pro I think.

#13 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:06 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...anels/?p=950342

Mentioned in this thread was that Bart was looking at making hatchback roofs

Cameron

#14 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

Conversation from the other thread:

Mate quick question.

How did you go with the roof popping out of shape once you removed the original piece of the roof.

I am doing this exact repair at the moment, exactly as you have done and the original piece of the roof will not go back in as the bulk of the roof popped up and lost its shape as soon as the piece was removed.

It has proven to be a real nightmare for me regarding the roof itself.

Sounds like it may be a symptom of structural issue Adrian, how much rust is in the rest of the car and how do you have it supported (ie. still on it's wheel or on a rotisserie, etc.)?

Sorry I can't remember but is this the car that had the sunroof removed and welded up?

HI mate. The car is on a body trolley which is fairly secure and solid, but yes it is the one with the failed welded up sunroof.

Now that you have said that it may be a symptom of the roof being under different stresses from the "warping" (I really don't think it was from heat more from the roof pulling slightly out of shape.) from the sunroof repair.

I am thinking I am going to have to do some major replacement/surgery on the roof now and I really need someone who is an expert to look at it and point me in the right direction.

I think I am going to have to remove and replace as much of the roof skin as I can. Wish I had it done properly in the first place rather than attempting it myself.

There should be no reason you can't fix it yourself with a little care, first thing you need to do is reverse the damage done with the sunroof repair, you need to release the tension / torsion, which could possibly be done by a panel beater without removing the section, but for you I'd just cut around the outside of the weld, remove the entire section and hope that everything springs back into place when it drops out.

Next I'd probably finish your repair on the hinge section first, then start again with a fresh sheet of metal on the sunroof hole. Sit it on top of the roof and trace around the hole from underneath, then turn it over and trim it to size. It will depend on the welding method as to how neat a fit it should be but if using a MIG then a gap of a millimeter or two all around won't hurt.

Next comes the tricky part, you might need someone else (with a lot of patience) to give you a hand here but you need to hold it in the right place / shape (you could even go to the trouble of making a template off another hatch so you get the shape spot on but most would just eye it up) and then tack weld and planish (with a hammer and dolly), then tack and planish, then tack and planish (ad infinitum).

The idea here is that the weld will shrink the surrounding metal but planishing the weld will flatten it out or expand it again, with a little practice the net effect of each tack weld after planishing should be zero movement.

There are any number of articles about planishing on the net, these are just a couple I found:

http://www.metalmeet...ead.php?t=12713

http://www.bangshift...shing-mig-welds

Maybe make a test piece as suggested in those articles and practice, practice, practice, it really isn't that hard, it just takes a lot of patience!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, do NOT cool the weld with a wet rag or similar or the shrinkage will be much worse.

Edited by Bigfella237, 09 September 2016 - 03:04 PM.

#15 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:34 AM

Mate that is brilliant advice and I really appreciate it.
I think removing said failed sunroof section is a fantastic idea.
I have access to a sedan roof so getting another piece to do what you said will not be too difficult.
Really excellent advice mate and I appreciate it a lot.
Now if you can just pop over to my place and fix it for that would be even better!

#16 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

Worst case you could always do this

torana2003fh5.jpg

#17 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

Hi Adrianh08,

The trick is to roll the replacement roof panel to to match the roof line first. (4 ways) 

I used a flexible one meter steel ruler as a guide. You can lay this flat on the roof to follow the curve and spot the highs and lows.

Once it is perfect tack it in. The big trick is to take your time welding it in. Too much heat and it will warp! 

If already warped you may need to heat shrink.

Hope this helps.

#18 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

Good god its amazing how ugly they look without a roof!! I think I will pass on this one.

I took Bigfella327's advice and removed the original attempt at the sunroof repair and the roof went almost perfectly back into shape, which was great.

Now just sourcing a sedan roof as the front section of the roof is the same shape and will be good to go to fit the new slightly larger hole I've created.

Hopefully get it done properly this time!

#19 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:36 AM

How did this go??

#20 adrianh08

adrianh08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

I ended up removing the first attempt and then cutting a section from a sedan roof.

Put a 10mm lip all around it and glued it into place using 3m Panel adhesive.

This seems to have worked really well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users