Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:73 LJ GTR, 77 LX SS 253 Manual
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:13 PM

And here's todays progress, I've got a helper on the project so we're making good progress.

The front end has been dismantled, everything sandblasted and mostly painted.

I'm using a black etch primer over the bare metal before painting in satin black, so any slight scratches will still show black instead of grey. Off to the platers tomorrow with all the nuts and bolts

Attached Files

#27 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:26 AM

Hi kev,
I've got to agree with you about the air filter. The early gtr style one is a much better choice.

#28 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:33 AM

Hi kev,
I've got to agree with you about the air filter. The early gtr style one is a much better choice.

Agree but no connection for the breather hose from the rocker cover on it though.

#29 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:48 AM

Hi Dave,

Yes I'm yet to work out how to connect the breather, I was thinking getting another original style air cleaner and taking the snout off, maybe chroming it?

Still thinking about what to do, I will at least restore the original air cleaner see how well it performs with and without.

Would you know what decals the engine should have? I can't find any reference to rocker cover decals for a late 73 GTR, did they have one like the earlier GTR's or just the chrome cover? Maybe just a 3300 decal on the air cleaner like an LH?

#30 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:17 PM

I believe the GTR 3300 rocker cover decal was basically the same as the XU1 decal but delete XU1.

#31 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

I believe the GTR 3300 rocker cover decal was basically the same as the XU1 decal but delete XU1.

That would be correct for 72 and most 73 model gtr's until they changed to the 3 hole rocker cover, then the 3300 decal used previously wouldn't have worked on that rocker cover.

Kev, is there enough room to attach the second breather hose from the rocker cover to the underside of the air filter base plate but within the internal diameter of the actual air filter element?

#32 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

Hi James,

Initially I tried to see if there was enough room to fit the breather hose filter on the outside of the filter, but it's a bit too big. (see pic below)

There isn't really enough room to fit an elbow from underneath the housing inside the air filter element, as the air cleaner base immediately slopes upwards toward sthe carby inlet and the nose would foul on the carby.

Dave I've checked my LJ parts book, it shows the different rocker cover part numbers pre and post ADR27, but makes mention of a different rocker cover decal, so maybe Holden didn't bother making a special decal for the late 73 GTR's? Also I can't see an air cleaner decal listed for ADR27, maybe they came out with a chromed rocker and plain black air cleaner with no decals at all. Does anyone have any engine bay pics of a late 73 GTR?

#33 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:15 AM

Hi Kev, i think John gong had photos of late 73 gtr on here ages ago, by memory, plain chrome 3 hole rocker cover no sticker & black air cleaner no sticker either I'd possibly have a black top here that needs painting. Someone might be able to put up the link for you, it was linked with gtr wheels I'm pretty sure mate, Gary.

#34 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:58 AM

Hi James,

Initially I tried to see if there was enough room to fit the breather hose filter on the outside of the filter, but it's a bit too big. (see pic below)

There isn't really enough room to fit an elbow from underneath the housing inside the air filter element, as the air cleaner base immediately slopes upwards toward sthe carby inlet and the nose would foul on the carby.

Dave I've checked my LJ parts book, it shows the different rocker cover part numbers pre and post ADR27, but makes mention of a different rocker cover decal, so maybe Holden didn't bother making a special decal for the late 73 GTR's? Also I can't see an air cleaner decal listed for ADR27, maybe they came out with a chromed rocker and plain black air cleaner with no decals at all. Does anyone have any engine bay pics of a late 73 GTR?

Correct, the parts catalogue distinguishes between pre & post ADR 27 rocker covers but does not state the original 3300 decal is pre ADR 27 only.

#35 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:31 PM

I've found an air cleaner that came with the carby, manifold etc in a box of bits, I'm hoping this is the original one for the car.

If it is I'll sand blast it and paint it, might have to go back on if I can't work out  what to do with the rocker cover breather hose.

Attached Files

#36 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:55 PM

Hi mate, yep air cleaner looks correct. I hope your going to give the intake manifold a bit of a whirl with the die grinder, or it will be so sssssllllooowww will make a huge difference mate, especially when you've gone back to the single carb. Id possibly keep the triples just in case. Gary

#37 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:40 PM

I'll text you tomorrow sometime kev, Gary.

#38 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:46 PM

Thanks Gary, I'm definitely keeping the triples for the moment, I also have a WW Stromberg lying around I'm keeping my options open until I get the car on the road and see how it goes. I'll ask Eddie from HSD about the standard manifold as well, he'll know about improving the airflow.

#39 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:54 PM

Marty on here built a standard 202 running single barrel Kev, i know yours has more done to it but in standard form they're like 100rwhp ! A standard vs vt v6 will hose you, it's not all that much porting but it would help some. Id be inclined to go the ww2 or triples, i hate to tell you. & im an originality man usually!

#40 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

I started wire brushing around the front of the radiator support panel today, found heaps of bog and rust.

The whole lower section of the radiator support panel and valance panel are laden with bog, in one section the bog is over an inch thick!

I've ended up cutting the whole lower section of the front away.

I tried to weld some sections but it's all too thin and rusty. Only one way to fix it properly, cut it all away

Attached Files

#41 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:54 PM

Off to Rare Spares for some new sheetmetal, the panel quality looks pretty good except the top of the radiator support panel, it looks pretty average compared to the original one.

I'm only using the bottom half so this won't matter

Attached Files

#42 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:12 PM

Hi Kev, 1" thick bog ? This is the sort of thing that gives panel beaters a bad name. At least it's getting repaired properly now mate. May i ask what the problem is with the top of the rares radiator supports i really haven't ever looked at 1 but ive seen a people fit them. I have seen the gtr gaurds & they seem to loom good, from what ive seen. Gary.

#43 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:15 PM

Hi Gary,

Yep bog over 1" thick near where the number plate bolted on, I couldn't believe how heavy the panel was when I cut it off.

I'll take photos on the weekend of the top of the radiator support panel compared to the original one, the Rare's one is not finished as well. It would need a fair bit of work to make it look like the genuine Holden item.

#44 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:13 PM

That'd be good to see the panel Kev, you're flying along with the car mate. I would advise some time with the mrs when you get it going though. Take it from experience mate. How's Eddie going on your intake manifold ect ? If you're going to run the headers back on it there's a fair amount of porting to do in them too, ive noticed ! Gary.

#45 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

Hi Gary, don't worry after the Torana is finished the wife and I are off on a bit of a holiday.

I haven't decided what to do with the manifold etc, will call Eddie next week and see what he thinks.

I've gotten my plating back from Vinnie's, it came back looking great. Front end has new bushes, ball joints etc and it's now ready to go back together

Wiper motor is back together as well, tested and working well

Attached Files

#46 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:56 AM

I've also had the headlight surrounds and tail light sounds redone, came back looking a treat

Attached Files

#47 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

Been busy again today, fixing the speaker holes in the rear parcel shelf

Attached Files

#48 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:59 PM

Real bodgy job, looks like the holes were partially cut with tinsnips. I bought a donor 4 door LJ a while ago, fortunately it had an uncut parcel shelf. I still have to clean the welds up a bit, I didn't want to leave the bare metal without some primer.

Attached Files

#49 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

Whoops pictures out of order again. One day I'll get the hang of this!!

Grumpy XU1 was asking about the quality of the Rare's radiator support panel, heres a couple of pics showing the rough finish of the top section compared to the original

Attached Files

#50 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:02 AM

Hi Kev, gee mate, that new panel's a bit wild isn't it old who flung dung not the best on quality control that day feck ! Your work looks good anyway mate & i reckon the clown that put in the speakers, did so in a heap of other cars I've seen. Must have been a pre-net version of YouTube, saying watch me bodge these up & you can at home too ! Thank God for the donor car, it would be handy to have 1 for spares that's for sure, very hard to find in coastal qld, they've all rusted in paddocks & qld councils call them a fire hazard & tell people to get rid of wrecks sadly, Gary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users