weedy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car:SL Hatch

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:32 PM

Hey Chaps,

Has anyone actually removed their tail light buckets and replaced them with repro ones, it looks to me as though it would be a pain to get the old ones out and the new ones in. A procedure and pics would be cool 😜

#2 weedy

weedy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:08 AM

Forgot to mention, this is for a hatchback.

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

I dare say the factory would've assembled the buckets into the rear beaver panel before it went on?

But if you weren't removing the beaver panel, I'd cut the back out of the old bucket with a Dremel tool or something like that to give yourself room to get in behind it?

I do agree it'd be a bloody fiddly job in the car though.

#4 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

Weedy I'm sure someone on the forum has made these replacement buckets and I have also seen pics of repairs in one of the project builds but can't find it at the moment.  You may need to do some searching.  Cheers Ron

#5 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

There is a member who makes them , unable to post link , look in Fabrication ,LH-LX Tail-light buckets by Torananut.

The second thread up from the bottom of first page in Fabrication.

#6 Torananut

Torananut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:L34 x 2, hatch x 4, UC sedan x 2, LC XU1
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:41 AM

Hi Weedy, I'm Grant and I am the one making the repro tail light buckets. Funny thing is that I have made quite a few of them but I have not fitted any to my cars as yet. I have one rusty hatchback that will need them replaced in time but for now I am only using that car for measurements. All of my other toranas are ok for rust in that area and won't need to be replaced.

I have spoken to a few people about fitting them and I think the only way they will go in is from the back which means removing some items on an LH sedan and LX hatch. Both have the reinforcing rib panel against the rear panel which will have to be removed, and if it is a hatchback some of the false floor section will have to be removed to get access to the bucket. From there it would be easiest to cut away most of the old bucket and then separate the two flanges making sure that the outer panel flange is left intact. Some of that flange may need to be replaced or repaired depending on the car and then the new bucket should fit into place. I have seen pictures of some peoples work and most have plug welded then new one in place as it would be difficult to get access for a spot welder. As just mentioned the originals came spot welded to the rear panel prior to assembly.

As you could imagine by the sound of this there is a bit of work involved so it depends on how rusty you originals are. If you think you can patch them up on the car go for it, but access for grinders and other tools is limited. If they are bad for rust then replacement may be the way to go. As long as you seal around the new ones and look after the car chances are that you will never have a problem in that area again. 

Was just looking before writing this on another thread of Christo's LX hatch build and he had some pics of the rust repairs that he had done including replacing the tail light buckets.

Cheers, Grant  

#7 weedy

weedy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Guys, I got a bit excited and have unpicked the tail light bucket to the point where it is loose but still captive due to the false floor. Am going to put cleco fasteners In between the spot welds holding the rear half of the false floor in before I drill them out and remove it to ensure it goes back in exactly the same place. Don't get a lot of time to work on it at the moment but I'll post pics as I go.

image_7.jpeg

image_12.jpeg

#8 KennyB

KennyB

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Name:Kenny
  • Car:LX sedan

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

Looks like I should be happy that I've got a sedan and not a hatch, came out fairly easily today
133c6782e946ed25ec030278d1c883b0.jpgc29c4be2cae1c1a234d241f50671d778.jpge70f54ae85a24c2655337c446c537fa8.jpg

#9 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Car:1976 LX SL Coupe

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

Check out my thread. had to cut the back of the original buckets out and after un-stitching make a small cut and fold the bottom lip forward to get the bucket in place and then re fold and spot weld back in.

A lot of work, but very happy with how they came up! Thanks again Grant B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users