grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

Hi guy's, so I'm wondering what the differences are in the complete 72 & 73 gtr style wiring harness, & has anyone ever measured all the wires & recorded it, in order that they could make their own new harness ? Seems very uncommon to find any wiring harnesses not chopped & joined now ! I know that mine has had some cutting & shutting over the time. Gary.

#2 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hello Garry,

There are a number of differences to the wiring harnesses, and some are not interchangeable.

I have not measured the differences and don't have access to the different types at the moment.  I have experience setting up most of these models, and this is from memory, so I hope it might help?

The first type was naturally the 1969- 70 type, there was a slight variation in the 1971 models to permit the addition of a brake failure switch . This type had no mounting holes in the bottom of the facia and relied upon two metal lugs to hold the bottom in place, had the two screws near the indicator green windows.  Some 1971 S models had a printed circuit and central wiring plug to supply power etc.

The 1972 Models used an additional two mounting screws at the bottom edge of the facia, and had changes to link up to a different type and location of ignition switch, but otherwise remained about the same as I recall. the instrument harness had a plastic clip to hold it in place at the back of the facia. there was also an earth mounting point on the bottom inside metal panel under the facia.

Late 1972 or early 1973 incorporated ADR changes with the introduction of the amber indicator lights, these also had a short extension piece for each headlight wiring including small light sockets, and indicator light wiring, this was quite similar to the HQ and allowed for park lights inside the headlights.

All 1973's and perhaps late 1972's had the handbrake/ brake failure light relocated towards the top of the facia, this required a longer pair of wires to this facia light, this type of facia cannot be used with the early 1972 type facia as the wires are not long enough.

Most will assume that the changes stopped in August / September 1973, however this is not correct, apart from a change to metric gauges in August 1973 the wiring also changed some time about September or after for the GTR's in which the wiring to the starter motor is not bound to take the lead to the inner guard, instead the wiring wrapping for the starter wiring is les restrictive and allows the wires to be routed from the firewall and in this way wiring is not at risk of being damaged by the extractor heat of the August September XU-1 models.

I am quite sure these harnesses were fitted to 1974 GTR models and would likely have been replacement harnesses for the August September models. I removed a 1974 Harness in the late 70's from a wreck and have fitted it to my GTR.

The last type 1974 harness should fit all the LJ models as a replacement. So if replacement harnesses are proposed to be made, like the fuel tanks these should be based on the last type.

I am less familiar with the LC as it has been 40 years since I wired one of those, though I do know there was a wiring plug change in the 1975 TA Torana.

Mike 

#3 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Hello he,s back

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

Some 1971 S models had a printed circuit and central wiring plug to supply power etc.

Mike 

AFAIK all LC S & SL warning light instrument panels used the mylar printed circuit board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users