95 replies to this topic

#1 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

Red Bull have protested and it is a very good case by the sounds.

#2 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:25 PM

I recon you are right too.

Like button for you

#3 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:37 PM

Im not a real Red Bull team fan.......but......

1  Wincup came in hot, and forced the Volvo wide.

2  Volvo on the grass , so Wincup backed off and waited for the Volvo to get back in front

3 Volvo comesback on track to take up his pos.

4 The red lion car saw stars and $$  and nailed it to get thru to the front of that pack.

5 All hell broke loose.

1   = happens all the time

2,3,4,5, = nothing to do with Wincup?

Dont see why he got 15 secs. The rules say something about redressing , or cop a championship points penalty.....where did 15 secs comes from.? 

Unless its at Tim Shenken / Bargwannnas discretion ?? .  Maybe so.Dont know...Shenken is extremely experienced, so he's got good reasons.

Feel sorry for the Daryl Lea kids if it does get reversed.

Win on Sunday..argue on Monday

#4 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

I tend to agree.
I don't believe he should be penalized. He came in hot and a crack at diving under. That's racing.
What happened next is not his fault. Tander backed off, then tried to take advantage of the situation. It didn't work.

How is that Wincup's fault?

#5 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:46 PM

The Volvo took out GT in the end

#6 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:47 PM

I blame the race director, if Whancup was given a drive-through penalty LIKE HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN then there'd be no grounds to overturn the race results because he would've been back in something like 15th place... he never should've been allowed to continue on ahead of the race winners.

That other poor bastard got a drive-through just for backing the field up behind the pace car after the lights went out, which basically ended his race, so how is it fair that Whancup caused a major crash, ending the race for two of the leading cars, yet was allowed to continue?

I only wish Garth had stuck the boot in and taken out Whancup as well!

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:21 AM

The Volvo took out GT in the end

Exactly, Whincup took a lunge, it failed, he sent McLaughlin into the weeds and was just doing what he had to do under the rules, redress the situation and let McLaughlin regain his position. McLaughlin made an unsafe re entry onto the track and took out Tander.

Edited by S pack, 10 October 2016 - 12:22 AM.

#8 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:18 AM

As Col says, Whincup must redress or get a 10 point penalty, those are the rules. Race control made it clear that the penalty was for the tap on the Volvo, nothing afterwards. McLaughlin caused the Tander crash, you have no rights once you are off the track.

The protest is about the penalty applied, and on that I cannot see how it can't be upheld.

This has a slight bit of nostalgia about it too, do we or don't we protest when it will/may hurt one of our own? 1969 and 1976 all over again.

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

Race control made it clear that the penalty was for the tap on the Volvo, nothing afterwards.

Thanks Byron, that part I didn't know.

#10 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:36 AM

I read it on speedcafe.com. If you Google Bathurst 2016 protest it is the first or second link that comes up (speedcafe.com), 9th paragraph down. Also mentioned on a few other sites.

Edited by yel327, 10 October 2016 - 08:44 AM.

#11 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

I read it on speedcafe.com. If you Google Bathurst 2016 protest it is the first or second link that comes up (speedcafe.com), 9th paragraph down. Also mentioned on a few other sites.

Yep, that's what I've been doing for the last 10 mins or so. :).

#12 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:45 AM

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. In the late 60's the ARDC just covered up their mistakes or affected teams didn't protest. Harry Firth protested in 1967 and the declared winner was changed, 1968 Des West got rubbed out and never re-instated, not even to second place where the ARDC initially had him, after he was later cleared. 1969 Firth chose not to protest as another HDT car had won. 1976 GMH decided not to protest as a GMH product had won. This will test the current system.

#13 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:33 PM

As Col says, Whincup must redress or get a 10 point penalty, those are the rules. Race control made it clear that the penalty was for the tap on the Volvo, nothing afterwards. McLaughlin caused the Tander crash, you have no rights once you are off the track.

The protest is about the penalty applied, and on that I cannot see how it can't be upheld.

This has a slight bit of nostalgia about it too, do we or don't we protest when it will/may hurt one of our own? 1969 and 1976 all over again.

Yep totally agree....  The initial contact from Wincup required a redress, (which in my opinion, he was doing.)   The Volvo,  although being illegally forced off the track, has no right to enter the track in a dangerous manner... which in my mind he did..  Garth Tander also tried to capitalise on the situation. And that would have been fine if it worked..  but it didn't...

I got to say..  In my mind, Wincup was the only one who was doing the right thing..   But I don't race cars, so this is just my opinion from a comfy arm chair ..  :)

#14 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:03 PM

Im not a real Red Bull team fan.......but......

The rules say something about redressing , or cop a championship points penalty...

It's clear Whincup slowed to redress before Tander and the Volvo crashed out, was the Volvo driver docked 25 points for that incident?

It's bad enough having races decided by safety cars let alone stewards decisions.

#15 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

It's clear Whincup slowed to redress before Tander and the Volvo crashed out, was the Volvo driver docked 25 points for that incident?

It's bad enough having races decided by safety cars let alone stewards decisions.

Yes, apparently McLaughlin has been docked 25 championship points.

The attempted redress by Whincup and the collision between Tander & McLaughlin is not the issue.

Apparently the 15 sec penalty was for Whincup tapping the Volvo and sending it off to mow some grass.

#16 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

and also from F.B...from someone who knows a bit about car racing........

John Bowe
11 hrs ·
I know what I am about to say won't be a popular statement, but Jamie Whincup was robbed in yesterday's race.
So let me clarify:
Firstly, the move on Scotty was legit and legal. Secondly, like the extremely fair driver he is, he slowed down to redress and let the Volvo back in front.
Then a comedy of errors caused the chaos and race ending damage. Garth jinked to the right to pass Jamie as Scotty re-entered the track, possibly at excessive speed.
None of that justifies a 15 second penalty for the 88 car.
The appeal from RedBull is fully justified in my opinion and I hope it gets a proper fair hearing by qualified people and isn't a kangaroo court, which can sometimes happen in this sport.
I have no bias in this at all. I am only stating what I saw and believe. And after 40 years in motorsport I believe I have a serious and deep knowledge.
Will Davison, Jono Webb and the small Tekno team did an amazing job and I am very happy for them, but the fact remains that there was an injustice performed and the CAMS system is in place to be able to right that injustice

#17 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:22 PM

and also from F.B...from someone who knows a bit about car racing........

John Bowe
11 hrs ·
I know what I am about to say won't be a popular statement, but Jamie Whincup was robbed in yesterday's race.
So let me clarify:
Firstly, the move on Scotty was legit and legal. Secondly, like the extremely fair driver he is, he slowed down to redress and let the Volvo back in front.
Then a comedy of errors caused the chaos and race ending damage. Garth jinked to the right to pass Jamie as Scotty re-entered the track, possibly at excessive speed.
None of that justifies a 15 second penalty for the 88 car.
The appeal from RedBull is fully justified in my opinion and I hope it gets a proper fair hearing by qualified people and isn't a kangaroo court, which can sometimes happen in this sport.

I have always had a lot of respect for JB, even more when he admitted to severe depression from giving up racing at the top level.

I agree with JB 100% on this

#18 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

Legit and legal yeah right made the mistake paid the ultimate price to bad

#19 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

Do you mean Tander Gene or McLaughlin? I saw the incidents again today and I can't see where Whincup is at fault under the rules, and even if he is found in the wrong on the hit on the Volvo the rules say a points penalty if no redress occurs. I cannot see how Whincup won't be given the win on appeal.

#20 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:16 PM

Do you mean Tander Gene or McLaughlin? I saw the incidents again today and I can't see where Whincup is at fault under the rules, and even if he is found in the wrong on the hit on the Volvo the rules say a points penalty if no redress occurs. I cannot see how Whincup won't be given the win on appeal.

Whincup

#21 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:06 AM

It could have been worse?...................................

The Volvo could have won??????????????????

#22 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:43 AM

whincup was desperate that passing move wasnt on at all.

#23 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:58 AM

You can view it here at the 2:43 mark..........   My view is 

1.  Wincup was in the wrong at the initial impact.

2.  Wincup makes attempt Redress the bump.

3.  Tander see's an opportunity and goes for it.

4.  Volvo continues at high speed off the track, and makes no attempt to re-enter the race track safely.

5.  The gap and the opportunity closed for Tander, when Wincup slowed to redress, and the Volvo re-entered

the race track at high speed.

6.  Volvo tags Tander, Tander tags Wincup, Volvo & Tander spin out... 

Now I agree Wincup caused the initial bump...  But that in no way caused the second incident that stoped the race...    Wincup should be awarded the win..   imo ..  :)    

Edited by ChaosWeaver, 11 October 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:09 AM

whincup was desperate that passing move wasnt on at all.

Any other top level driver put in Whincup's position would have done the same.

#25 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

John bowe is spot on,you also Dave.
You race to win .its not netball.

The pass looked legal to me. whinni is 3/4's