95 replies to this topic

#26 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

^^Unfortunate reference! Netball is actually one of the most toughly contested sports at the top level. Fitness and commitment wise some of the girl's at the top level of that sport would whip these race driver's arses!

#27 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

You know what i mean bud.

#28 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:19 PM

I didnt watch the race so just going off the link ian provided.

I dont think whincup did anything wrong.

First punt was racing, the rest was out of his hands.

#29 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:51 PM

You know what i mean bud.

I got it, but as I said it was an unfortunate reference.

#30 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

i only watched dribs and drabs on Sunday on TV........but the bits I saw made it look like the R Bull team drivers had been off to Speedway School during the week.

They seemed to be sliding  up and under a few cars as the day went on. Great car controll by the way, those few times SVG slid in and under at the dipper were spectacular to say the least.

I do sometimes wonder if the mega buck teams can bluff some of the others with this sort of stuff ...

IMHO

Edited by RallyRed, 11 October 2016 - 03:02 PM.

#31 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

I dont know if I'd back off and wait for a car that may not come back on track. You can do all that once it is back in play.

#32 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

569854_640x360_large_20161009172759.jpg

Red Bull told Jamie Whincup to keep following Scott McLaughlin before crash

http://www.foxsports...n=FoxMotorsport

s

#33 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:23 PM

John bowe is spot on,you also Dave.

Do we really want racing a non contact sport
b

Having raced in Historic racing on and off for over 20 years, yes we do want non contact racing.

Good clean racing is the way to go. Personally I hate seeing the amount of damage that these V8 supertaxis inflict on each other's cars and then just get out walk away and leave the repairs and the bill for fixing everything up to someone else.
Most have no respect for the cars at all.

#34 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:42 PM

Thats the difference between elite level motorsport and the rest of us mate. 

#35 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:44 PM

I suppose that right but it still doesn't sit right with me.

#36 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:28 PM

The absolute highlight for me from this years Bathurst were those glorious 6 laps of Touring Car Masters! So much eye candy, I wish it went for much much longer :)

For what it's worth though - I've been in 2 minds regarding the incident being discussed, but the more I look at it, I absolutely agree with JB too... Whincup should be given the race win, it's just another racing incident. Had the 2nd part of the chaos not eventuated, we wouldn't be talking about it. Very unlucky for Tander, gotta feel sorry for him... (especially when it sounds like they had good form and strategy up their sleeve - saving it for the last bit of the race). That's motor-racing for ya.

#37 davea79

davea79

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Name:David Angel
  • Car:Never Mind

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:01 AM

The move wasn't on. Dive bomb Jamie!
The Giz was doing it @ the Elbow but could pull it up if the door closed.
Barg's stuffed the call up on the day really... should have been a drive through for Jamie and most of the noise would be over by now. It will be a circus for sometime to come!

The move wasn't on. Dive bomb Jamie!
The Giz was doing it @ the Elbow but could pull it up if the door closed.
Barg's stuffed the call up on the day really... should have been a drive through for Jamie and most of the noise would be over by now. It will be a circus for sometime to come!

#38 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:33 AM

Why do people keep saying a drive through penalty should have been applied? That is not in the rules for this season. The rules are redress or get a points penalty. Giving Whincup a drive though would be like a League ref giving a penalty in front of the sticks for a knock on, when it should be a scrum feed.

#39 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

It's really hard to see out the side of your helmet and with a Hans device and a side wrap seat it's even worse - doing 150 lkms into that chase corner with a very small mirror only makes for issues.

I think that when in this situation you think that the person can see you as you can see them, but normally you have to be upto the front door as a minimum. But this takes into account that the first car is aware of you there.

I just don't think that he saw him and the move was questionable - that move will only result in two things - A) he sees him and gives him some room B) he dosent see him and continues on his line.

I think that wincup in the first instance should have backed out , but he was too far in and Scott Mclaughlin didn't see him as it was his corner.

they collide as per normal racing incident and then as much as i hate to say it wincup did what he should have done, but it's questionable " when this should have occured ".

he chose that spot and proceeded to slow down. It may have been better to let the parties redress before the next corner - which would have not bunched up tander behind and gave litle room scott as he came firing back on the track.

I thought that scott came back on pretty erratically and in some ways was guaranteed of the spot in front of wincup.

I think that tander was the biggest looser there - in fact there all loosers and I'm sure there is going to be some bad blood from this for a long time.

It's hard to say that the blokes that had their cars destroyed are at fault and wincup looks like the villan out of this.

but i really think that if you tried to script that sequence you would have buckleys of getting it right even if you had 100 goes.

it will be really interesting to see what happens. but trashing cars is not a good thing as someone has to pay for the damage. 

#40 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:17 PM

.........looks like time is a tickin?....

Following the conclusion of the 2016 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, CAMS has explained the next steps that could occur in an appeal process.
Triple Eight’s car #88 (Jamie Whincup/Paul Dumbrell) received a 15 second post-race time penalty for Careless Driving after causing contact with Car #33, Scott McLaughlin/David Wall, at Turn 21 on Lap 150.
CAMS Stewards then received a ‘Notice of Intention to Appeal’ within the hour of the penalty being issued.
For the matter to proceed further, a ‘Notice of Appeal’ then needs to be submitted within 92 hours of the Steward’s decision.
A Supercars National Court of Appeal would then be appointed, and would comprise of three members drawn from a Judicial Panel of independent persons appointed by CAMS.

#41 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

Why wouldn't you have a go?

Attached Files

#42 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:20 PM

''çause the door was 10ft ajar??

#43 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

As I said I don't race, so my opinion might not mean much...  But if you watch the footage I put up a few times..  It is impossible to blame Wincup for the Tander & Volvo crash...     The commentator acknowledges that Wincup was already attempting to redress...  Everyone could see it..  Even Tander, who in my opinion could not see the Volvo re-entering the race track, and in trying to make the pass on Wincup, turned into the path of the Volvo, which caused him to hit Wincup in the rear, and rick o'shea into the Volvo and crashed out.....

Now although Wincup made 1st contact, his only obligation is to redress, which everyone can see he was attempting to do..  What happened behind him was a racing incident with all three being somewhat innocently involved .. 

Well I still believe the Volvo driver was most at fault, as he came from an off track position to be involved.  I also feel Tander played a part too. But his role was no different to Wincup's in the previous corner, in as much as he was just going for it.

And as for Wincup, there wasn't much in it,  even in the first instance he was almost at the A pillar and probably at the limits of his braking (he was totally committed, and couldn't pull out) But either way he was attempting to redress ....  He only has to hold his line and redress,(which he did) he doesn't have to move off the track in case the cars following crash while trying to pass him .....  Wincup was robbed imho .......

#44 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:36 PM

cant say i disagree with that Ian.

Its a bit like the footy...slowing stuff down to frame by frame,or even still shots....stuff is seen that the humans at the time,never saw

Edited by RallyRed, 12 October 2016 - 08:37 PM.

#45 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:46 PM

Unless something dodgy happens Whincup and Dumbrell will be 2016 Bathurst winners. In my opinion. It is almost 1968 all over again......but back then the dodgy thing seems to havehappened.

Edited by yel327, 12 October 2016 - 08:48 PM.

#46 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:30 AM

I see the whole thing as two distinct issues;

1. Pass by Whincup on McLaughlin, and

2. Redress by Whincup.

On the first, I won't get into whether the pass was on, legitimate and if McLaughlin turned in on Whincup.

What is clear is that Whincup knew of the contact, saw McLaughlin went off the road and held the opinion that his manoeuvre was outside of the rules.

Evidence of this is his redressing the matter.

On the last, I get that McLaughlin must re-enter the circuit safely and by the assessments of most including the Stewards, he did not - no issue.

The thing is, the race was still on - there were no yellows.

I would think that a driver when redressing a matter needs to do so safely and in a manner that does not impede the race including other drivers not involved in the incident warranting redress.

He slowed significantly in comparison to the race pace, he remained on the racing line and he impeded Tander.

He need not have redressed right there but my opinion is that he did so in an effort to retain his position immediately behind McLaughlin and not lose any position in the race. 

And on the discrepancy in penalties applied.

I've read that a 10 point or 10 second penalty is the norm - sources vary.

If 10 seconds, there is no change to the results, just Whincup finishes inside the Tope 10.

If 10 points, I wonder if the penalty is usually applied is to a driver who does not redress.

That Whincup couldn't redress is likely the determining factor in the Stewards applying a 15 second penalty as opposed to a 10 point penalty.

I believe 888 has until today to lodge their submission - will be interesting to see if they do.

I wonder whether as a 'big' team there will be pressure from Holden not appeal given the race was won by another 'small' Holden team who is a customer of 888.

Cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 13 October 2016 - 07:32 AM.

#47 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

Sorry Chaos, just having a laugh :)

Just wondering, is 'rick o'shea' related to the US racing driver of the 1940's-60's Paul O'Shea or to that old French driver ricochet by any chance?

Cheers, TB

Edited by Tyre biter, 13 October 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#48 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:47 PM

All good TB ..   it was meant to be funny..    But just wondering, if it took Wincup too say,  half way up Mountain straight before he was able to redress, and the same thing happened. Would it be still be Wincup's fault??   To me, Wincup could only be at fault by an illegal and deliberate maneuver .   to me he did neither..

I believe Wincup had slowed and was redressing his bump on the Volvo.     I also believe it was Tander and the Volvo that caused the second impact.  Tander veered right to make a pass on Wincup, just at the same time that the Volvo had rejoined the race track, and at pretty much race speed. And it was them two that collided. Yet the blame was portioned to Wincup??   Your Honour (TB) I rest my case ......  :)

#49 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:59 PM

Is the penalty for the hit on McG or the careless diving after?

#50 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:17 PM

...havent seen any news as to weather or not Red Bull have actually lodgded the appeal,... I think the time runs out in a few hours?,

but  the Volvo put his hand up anyway.....see what happens..

Following an investigation and an admission by Car #33, Scott McLaughlin/David Wall, of Careless Driving (unsafe re-entry to the circuit at Turn 22 on Lap 150), the Stewards imposed the penalty of the loss of 25 Championship Points on Car #33, Scott McLaughlin/David Wall.

Looks the podium result may stand.?

p.s. poor old Wincup...cant take a trick....

Following an investigation and an admission by Car #88, Jamie Whincup that he failed to obey the direction of an official (to wear his race suit for pre-race activities), the Stewards imposed a fine of $500 on Jamie Whincup.

Edited by RallyRed, 13 October 2016 - 03:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users