proportioning valve on torana removal

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _redxt_

_redxt_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

I want to remove the proportioning valve on the lh torana, I have read as many threads as I can and all seem to lean towards commodore replacements and mods. I have been doing some measurements and found that the xw,xy falcon pbr mastercylinder (with built in proportioning valve) is very similar and should bolt straight on to the torana booster. Has anyone tried or have any reason why this can not be done

thanks thomo

#2 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

The XW/XY Falcon m/cyl did not have an internal proportioning valve, it only had a pressure differential switch.

I think you might be confusing the pressure switch with the proportioning valve itself. On an LH they are in one combined unit. 

I believe what you're trying to achieve is similar to many, in that you want to de-clutter the engine bay.

You could do this in many ways. If it was my car I would fit a m/cyl & booster of a late UC, which looks the same as an A9X & has the prop. valve & pressure all incorporated.

Another method would be to relocate the LH valve & switch under the guard & make new bike pipes to suit.

A 3rd choice could be to fit the Falcon m/cyl that you've mentioned & then add a HQ prop.valve under the car, HQ style.

BTW I'm not sure if the Ford m/cyl is a bolt-on fit, I've never tried it.

Dr Terry

#3 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:54 PM

4th option is change the front cover of the booster to a commodore one and put the commodore master cylinder on. You should make sure the push rod between the booster and master is the correct when you use the commodore master, or change to any different master for that matter.

Front covers are interchangeable and the commodore came with a few configurations, disc-drum and disc-disc and a similar weight car so the proportioning valve characteristics should be suitable.

Edited by mick_in_oz, 13 October 2016 - 07:56 PM.

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:30 AM

4th option is change the front cover of the booster to a commodore one and put the commodore master cylinder on. You should make sure the push rod between the booster and master is the correct when you use the commodore master, or change to any different master for that matter.

Front covers are interchangeable and the commodore came with a few configurations, disc-drum and disc-disc and a similar weight car so the proportioning valve characteristics should be suitable.

The late UC m/cyl is the same as early Commodore. If you get a UC booster, it bolts straight on. Most guys wouldn't have the skill or knowhow to swap booster covers.

Dr Terry

#5 _redxt_

_redxt_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

The XW/XY Falcon m/cyl did not have an internal proportioning valve, it only had a pressure differential switch.

I think you might be confusing the pressure switch with the proportioning valve itself. On an LH they are in one combined unit. 

I believe what you're trying to achieve is similar to many, in that you want to de-clutter the engine bay.

You could do this in many ways. If it was my car I would fit a m/cyl & booster of a late UC, which looks the same as an A9X & has the prop. valve & pressure all incorporated.

Another method would be to relocate the LH valve & switch under the guard & make new bike pipes to suit.

A 3rd choice could be to fit the Falcon m/cyl that you've mentioned & then add a HQ prop.valve under the car, HQ style.

BTW I'm not sure if the Ford m/cyl is a bolt-on fit, I've never tried it.

Dr Terry

I have an xw with disc front and drum rear and there is no external proportional valve as the torana, I have an xt falcon that does have a proportional valve also. I wast told that the xw cylinder does have inbuilt proportional valve. Anyway I have a spare xw cylinder thats why when looking at cleaning up the engine bay I compared the two cylinders. I have the measurements of the xw but havent got a torana booster or cylinder to measure except for the one on the car. 

Im sure it will bolt on but getting the front push rod activation correct may be a problem.

my boster is like the one on the far right

Attached Files

Edited by redxt, 14 October 2016 - 08:45 AM.

#6 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:11 AM

Theres no proportioning in the Falcon master

Its just a switch

They got the brake balance by using the correct wheel cylinder size

If you try it you'll find you'll need to die grind the bolt holes slightly to make it fit

You may also need to grind down the outer diameter as they have abit of a ring around the outside where it goes in the booster

And yes you'll have to mod the pushrod for it... but that master doesn't run clearance like a normal master... it runs a preload of about 1mm and will take alittle setting up to get it right

The XW-Y one has a switch pointing down... big black one you can't buy anymore

XA-B one has a very similar cylinder... brown switch out the side... easier to buy...

#7 _redxt_

_redxt_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

Thanks dattoman that makes sense, but im suprised someone hasnt come up with a master cylinder that will just bolt on by now. I might just clean things up by going to something like this

Attached Files

Edited by redxt, 14 October 2016 - 10:04 AM.

#8 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:04 AM

The one I bough from CPP in the states has switch and proportioning valve in it and you can get them in 1 inch and 1 1/8th sizes. They fit a standard booster, non A9X type. $250 American, polished.

#9 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:46 AM

I had a brake shop fit a new front cover on my booster (changing the bolt pattern from straight to angled) & bought a new master cyl from a XC-XE. The Ford item is identical to the A9X/Statesman unit except it has metric threads. I was replacing all the brake lines so it didn't matter to me. 

purpleengine%20bay_zpsvf5gagbc.jpg

#10 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:1969 LC

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

I did the same, was replacing brake lines and upgrading booster anyway.
Attached File  IMG_7823.PNG   2.16MB   4 downloads

Edited by Lc69, 14 October 2016 - 06:14 PM.

#11 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:30 PM

Just for giggles

See those 2 plastic bottled ones

Cols has a flat section where a 1 is stamped denoting the bore size

Where Tonys is rounded and no bore size

Cols has a black plastic looking cap.. .Tony has steel which is plated the correct colour

Tonys master cylinder would not be out of place on an A9X ... correct casting , threads and cap

#12 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:48 PM

The steel cap went rusty & the black suited the engine bay better.  :)

#13 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:20 AM

The late UC m/cyl is the same as early Commodore. If you get a UC booster, it bolts straight on. Most guys wouldn't have the skill or knowhow to swap booster covers.

Dr Terry

I had to change my brake pedal to UC as well Dr Terry.
Bought my master cylinder and booster from Hoppers who were very helpful with all the info on fitting to my LX.
The master cylinder bore on the UC booster is 15/16. Slightly different to Commodore. The fittings on these master cylinders I think are metric too.

Attached File  image.jpeg   117.78K   12 downloads

#14 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:1969 LC

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

Some extra info:
My master cylinder was refurbished from old stock as opposed to the new ones you can buy. Probably why it looks different I assume?
The bottle is actually of a Nissan and is square as opposed to the A9X, WB.....tapered type. Same lid.
This was done because on the LC the MC sits horizontal.

#15 _A9X 05_

_A9X 05_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:28 PM

hi does anyone have a diagram of a torana lx proportional valve. Pulled it apart and need diagram of how goes back together

#16 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:13 PM

Here is one i pulled apart  years ago. Pieces lined up

Attached Files

#17 _A9X 05_

_A9X 05_