grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

Inspirations paint did a huge roll out of spray guns, i got 1 for around $125, it comes as a kit which makes 3 different gun set ups of 1.2, 1.4 & 2.0 mm tips. I bought it for primer, but it would be fine for your task. I can get it out this week and tell you the model & brand if you like, The epoxy etch is the crucial part & you can get sound deadner in a can. Mixing the paint & primer isn't really hard if you can read a ruler. I gave you the trade way to do things, might cost a bit more, but if you want the best result! Up to you though. Gary.

#27 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:04 PM

Any truth to the asbestos theory ?

According to the test report I have, yes, there's asbestos in that material

#28 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

Asbestos seems to be a big talking point everywhere these days and there is a lot of myth and misconception going around on the subject.

The chances of contracting an asbestos related illness is actually very slim.

However the consequences are almost always fatal.

Most people over 40 have already been exposed to a considerable amount of asbestos just from normal daily life.

Think about clutch and brake dust and various forms of building decorations including the spray on crap that was used in schools.

But there are many other chemicals and substances that as car enthusiasts that we regularly come in contact with that can cause harm.

There seems to be a lot of emphasis on asbestos though. And I think that is because it is an easy target for the government to show they are doing something about a risk.

Asbestos is generally found in situations where there is already some form of regulation.

So it is fairly simple to add restrictions and requirements to already regulated workforces.

A comparison could be the way the government reacts to road deaths.

Almost universally they reduce speed limits.

Provides a short term result, but in the long term you cant legislate stupidity out of people.

But they can say they are doing something about it.

Personally I have drilled, smashed, ground, sanded and produced asbestos dust in all manner of ways.

One of my mates did refrigeration work on ships. All the pipes were lagged in asbestos cloth.

They used to hack away at it to find leaks then rewrap.

So far we have no obvious effects after nearly 40 years having passed since exposure.

Most of us will be guilty of doing work at home without any of the safety precautions we are expected to use in the workplace.

One bloke I worked with used all of the PPE he needed at work without a second thought.

But at home he generally wore thongs, relied on the "safety squint" when grinding or drilling, and even often when tack welding.

Dust masks, safety goggles and in fact most PPE is cheap. Especially when you weigh it against the cost of injuring yourself.

The Golden Rule with Asbestos.

Everything contains asbestos until it has been proven to not contain it.

#29 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:1969 LC

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I haven't touched the car sense I posted the picture. I've been collecting everything I need to do the job.

I have all the safety gear ready now.
im looking forward to dressing like a space man, in the heat, under a tin roof :(

I plan to strip the interior bare before starting. (Most of it already done)
I'm not planing to reuse the carpet and under lining, so that will avoid any dust there.
The rest of the body deadner should scrap of easy, then I can carefully clean up the surface.
I've decided to use the KBS kit to prep and paint the roof.
I also have a dynamat kit which I think I will apply in the large open sections only.

#30 Covert

Covert

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Car:LH

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:17 PM

Great, chuck up some more pics when your done  :spoton:

#31 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I haven't touched the car sense I posted the picture. I've been collecting everything I need to do the job.

I have all the safety gear ready now.
im looking forward to dressing like a space man, in the heat, under a tin roof :(

I plan to strip the interior bare before starting. (Most of it already done)
I'm not planing to reuse the carpet and under lining, so that will avoid any dust there.
The rest of the body deadner should scrap of easy, then I can carefully clean up the surface.
I've decided to use the KBS kit to prep and paint the roof.
I also have a dynamat kit which I think I will apply in the large open sections only.

You can use paint stripper to turn the sound deadening to a black gel that can be easily scrapped off.

#32 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:36 PM

I think we need to think of asbestos & other contaminants in the thought that they don't discriminate who they affect. Maybe asbestos is the concern for the time, but it's generally a process of progression from 1 thing to the next. The introduction of work place health & safety to me has been one of the best introduced practices so far, it may be your or your family's life it saves, sure it means jumping through more hoops, but the long term gains are the most important consideration here !
also please remember that there is lead based primer in the under side of the turret as well (the red stuff obviously).
To carry on with what rock oz has already stated about other dangers, having a trade back ground in this i can say that I've worked with guys who've said "oh it's only acrylic paint it won't hurt you ! That's rubbish, many spray painters have died (young) from the affect of the acrylic paint ect. So using a mask which is nowadays almost expected is the only sensible thing to do, if you aren't prepared to spend $120 on a really good mask DON'T take on the task. Yes we've all worn thongs ect. I'll be the 1st to admit that. I do insist on wearing glasses though & usually ear plugs. Your eyes would probably be the most important thing you have. To put it in a better context, think before you do the job imagine if i couldn't physically see my kids grow up. If you think about this each time it will become a habbit. & gloves are a good thing too !
As for non fatal accidents "honestly" most of them happen under 40 kmph. If you look at the population growth include car volume & the growing ammount of drivers, i don't think that the road is realistically increasing, I'm not saying don't be concerned, i just mentioned statistics that's all. Drink & drug driving which still happens is 1 of the most stupid acts to date, i almost lost my family because of a drunk driver, so they get zero sympathy from me.

#33 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:39 AM

Had a LJ with the under the bonnet noise reducing stuff and had the bonnet up and the sun reflecting off the Chrome Air Cleaner cover onto that stuff and it was doing a smouldering smoke signal, lucky I came out when I did and had the trusty hose close to where the car was parked and sprayed that area.

#34 Covert

Covert

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Car:LH

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

As for non fatal accidents "honestly" most of them happen under 40 kmph. If you look at the population growth include car volume & the growing ammount of drivers, i don't think that the road is realistically increasing, I'm not saying don't be concerned, i just mentioned statistics that's all. Drink & drug driving which still happens is 1 of the most stupid acts to date, i almost lost my family because of a drunk driver, so they get zero sympathy from me.

Im pretty sure Tony doesnt take drugs or drink and drive

#35 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:21 PM

Had a LJ with the under the bonnet noise reducing stuff and had the bonnet up and the sun reflecting off the Chrome Air Cleaner cover onto that stuff and it was doing a smouldering smoke signal, lucky I came out when I did and had the trusty hose close to where the car was parked and sprayed that area.

Gee..she must of been a stinker that day Al.

#36 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:42 PM

I didn't insinuate, that "anyone" on here was stupid enough to drink or drug drive actually !

#37 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:51 AM

I'm probably a bit late to this one, But i have done my whole inside roof with KBS just brushing it on. Once the headlining goes back in no one will see it.

Its good stuff, just follow the instructions with the three stop process.

http://www.kbs-coati...st-eradication/

DSC_0221.jpg

Steve

#38 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the picture and info.
Haven't started yet due to other commitments, but I have everything ready to go.
I'll see how I go over the weekend.

#39 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:35 PM

So picture yourself trying to clean that BBQ you lent to a mate.
I'd rather remove 50 wiper motors before doing this again.

Still have some way to go. The best method seems to be to scrape 10-20mm sections off at a time.

I've also come to the realisation that I should remove the roof brace.
Anyone done this? Looks like a tack weld and some spot welds.
Trying to weld this in without burning the exterior paint will be a challeng.

Attached File  IMG_8124.PNG   2.08MB   4 downloads

#40 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

Gee..she must of been a stinker that day Al.

I think it was a high 20's here, more the Magnifying Glass effect is what happened, beware fellow Rana owners with this.

#41 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

Tony,

Yes Roof brace can be removed, its only 5 or 6 spot welds each side and a couple of tacks. I have already done that as you can see its missing in the picture above.

I have not re-installed mine yet, but was planning to do it ussing some big planks to clamp it to the roof.

There are pictures in my thread if you click the link in my sig. Its on the third page.

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 10 December 2016 - 09:44 PM.

#42 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

If you take the brace out, when you put it back in, use some sikaflex between the turret & the brace, it can expand & contract & is NOT acetic cure. I would still use epoxy primer as i said & yes it is brushable, so is the top coat. Some paint shops can mix down to 100ml now, the texture coating is used for noise suppression. I would use it again over the top of the epoxy etch. & i definitely would steer away from dynomat ect in the roof. Put a sponge on a moist sink & see what it does. Gary.

#43 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:06 AM

The pictures of the brace removal are very handy, Thanks
just need to get myself some spot weld drills.

Thanks for the Sikaflex tip, will do this for sure.

I'm under the impression that dynamat does not retain moisture?
I haven't opened the box yet to be hounest.
I guess I could apply some to some steel and test the theory.

The good news is the floor and everything else looks good.

#44 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:01 AM

Why take the risk mate, the sound deadner comes in a can nowadays just mask and spray easy as ! The spot weld drills are called vario drill bits usually. Make sure you get the automotive sikaflex & stich it like do 50mm leave 75mm style of thing. You should be able to get these from a auto paint store or blackwoods or such types of stores. Gary.

#45 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

So the original deadner is complete removed. Mild heat from a heat gun help the last bit.
Still waiting for the drills to arrive so I can remove the brace.
I picked up a 6" pneumatic orbital to sander. I've gone over the surface onece with a rough pad, but it realy only removed the loose scale.
I've decided the pads I have wouldn't cut the skin of a custard.
Any recommendations on a decent sanding pad to clean up the surface?

Sikaflex 227 looks like the goods for re-bonding the brace to the roof panel.
I think I already have some 221 and 11FC, but haven't checked if either of these would be ok.

#46 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:40 PM

Tony,

Yes Roof brace can be removed, its only 5 or 6 spot welds each side and a couple of tacks. I have already done that as you can see its missing in the picture above.

I have not re-installed mine yet, but was planning to do it ussing some big planks to clamp it to the roof.

There are pictures in my thread if you click the link in my sig. Its on the third page.

Steve

I'm very interested to see how you go about re-installing your brace.
Let me know how it goes.

#47 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:12 AM

Tony,

Pretty busy with a pillar and sill repair at the moment, but will certainly let you know how I go with reinstalling.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users