202 remote oil pump setups

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _Last-Rites_

_Last-Rites_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

Hey guys

Due to a continuing lack of oil pressure I'm looking for external oil pump setups. Does anyone know of a kit that can be purchased. Had a quick look but nothing I can find.

Cheers Matt

#2 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

The lack of oil pressure may not be fixed by using a different (external) pump!

What is the motor? fresh rebuild? old tired paddock basher? Stock? gazillion HP V8 eater?

The standard pump in good condition does very well in most stock to mild motors.

If your pumps in good condition your problem is gunna be else where & fitting some external job aint gunna fix it!

Need more info on your motor & exactly what testing have you done to think you need something else ?

#3 _Last-Rites_

_Last-Rites_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:46 PM

Sorry freshly built 202 race/street build. Clearances are too big on the mains and rods (no I don't know them but they were way too big to standard). But from what two engine builders have now told me the machining is ok for my application. I am being told it needs more delivery up too.

#4 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

Well I can't say that I've seen too many if any exotic external setups for a red motor that's readily available!
Unless you do a dry sump set up

So the engine builders can't recommend a suitable oilling set up?

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

Time to strip it back down and check it all properly I recon. 

Up to and including .004" on the mains shouldnt cause any dramas. 

#6 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:52 PM

mechanical gauge - on the oil pump ?

just make sure that the gauge is reading right first.

#7 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

I had low oil pressure on my 202 at idle, I changed to Liquimoly oil much more good

#8 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

Hi Lastrites.....Im am no engine guru mate...but you may just want to hold off for a minute on the ext.oiler idea. There must be a 1000000 old red sixes chugging around that have had zero work done...or heaps of work done...all happily surviving on their ratty old oil pumps. As Bomber and co suggest mate...prob. best to pull it apart ( a real pain for sure) and understand the root cause of the issue.IMHO

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

So what's the goods on the existing oil pump. You may have mentioned it in your other thread but I can't remember.

#10 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:18 PM

Time to strip it back down and check it all properly I recon. 

Up to and including .004" on the mains shouldnt cause any dramas. 

^^^^^ what he said

#11 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:51 PM

is a dry sump remote?

I see some dry sumps are lower down.

#12 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:02 AM

I think as the other guys have mentioned I'd be looking at asking the engine builder for the clearances 1st, if they add up ok doing a gmh oil pump rebuild, fitting a new electric gauge of good quality. See how all that goes, worse comes to worse crank & rods ect out & reset clearances, at least it doesn't use tty bolts. & as hutch said the liqui moly would be by far the best oil out of the lot hands down. I use their products whenever i can. Why not drop your oil, check it out & fit some & recheck pressure. You have penrite in it now dont you by memory ? It's worth a try ! Autobarn are a stockist. Liquimoly oil guide would be the easiest in the world to use as well.

#13 8BALL

8BALL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Name:..
  • Car:yep

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:14 AM

Who the hell is this "builder" ???
They cant give you clearances and tell you
- 'its good'
Yet clearly by all the threads its not good.

So nobody else wastes their hard earned $$$$$ with them, who are they?

#14 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

Yeah i was wonderinng the same.

Sounds like a typical builder.

#15 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

If you are just using the standard oil gauge in the cluster the often are not very accurate. Mine would drop to zero when the LJ was hot at idle, but when I connected the mechanical gauge to the oil pump using a T piece I still have 9 or 10PSI when hot idling. Definitely check this first to ensure you are seeing accurate figures, but if the mechanical gauge is showing very low I'd be going back to the builder or as others have said tearing it down.

mechanical gauge - on the oil pump ?

just make sure that the gauge is reading right first.

#16 _datpsi_

_datpsi_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

Would imagine it be cheaper to get it rebuilt properly than investing in remote pumps. I'd imagine that would cost a bit plus more than likely just masking another issue

#17 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

I tend to agree that you should investigate further as to a) whether you are in fact getting low pressure- ie verify readings and 2) check the actual clearances.

My engine is built for nitrous but holds 20psi at idle, using JP HV pump.  

I would be looking closer at the source of the problem rather than bandaiding it. If it was an old dunger I would probably bandaid it but this is a new motor, that presumably you have paid good money for, hence you dont want to accept anything less than 'right' IMHO.

#18 _Last-Rites_

_Last-Rites_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

Hey guys
Just read all the posts and honestly I'm pulling it out and sending it to the builder. We pulled the pump apart and it's fine. The pick up and sump are brand new ASR.

Myself and a mechanic built the motor but the problem is with the machining. We think he has machined the mains to 0.012 etc instead of the 010 bearings I bought. He couldn't give us crush clearances and when we gave him measurements he said it would be ok.

If u want to know who they are u can come see me in person. Until then I'm going to give him a chance to rectify the situation. I have spent in excess of $15k on this build and don't particularly want to see it going down the toilet by me mentioning who he is online.

Thanks for ur help. I'll try to keep u updated.

#19 _Last-Rites_

_Last-Rites_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

By the way one of the measurements for a crush on a main cap was over 0.074 and that was just touching the plastigauge.

#20 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

Hi Matt

Just trying to get my head around this. So the engine builder did the machining and yourself and the mechanic assembled the crank, rods, pistons, rings etc into the block?

#21 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:42 PM

By the way one of the measurements for a crush on a main cap was over 0.074 and that was just touching the plastigauge.

Holy crap, 74 thousands of an inch (0.074) would be like sticking your dick in a bucket.

#22 _Inj gtr202_

_Inj gtr202_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:13 PM

Holy crap, 74 thousands of an inch (0.074) would be like sticking your dick in a bucket.

I'm guessing 0.074mm ie. Closer to 0.003"

#23 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:27 PM

I'm guessing 0.074mm ie. Closer to 0.003"

Ahhhh, that makes more sense thanks. I always tend to think in imperial measurements for mechanical tolerances & clearances etc.

He does say the bearings he bought are 010's which should be .010" u/s

#24 _Last-Rites_

_Last-Rites_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

Hi Matt

Just trying to get my head around this. So the engine builder did the machining and yourself and the mechanic assembled the crank, rods, pistons, rings etc into the block?

He had the bottom end assembled but admitted he never checked the clearances. He stripped it back out before giving it back to me.

He also told me he fitted the girdle (he didn't fit it properly), also that he fitted the sump and pickup with the girdle on (which he didn't) as both items required me to make new items to make them fit or in the case of the sump had to be returned for a full custom modification. Was great paying another $400 in freight.

#25 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:57 AM

I think you are on the right track mate. Dont name and shame at this stage- give them a chance to fix the problem.

Also, as a side note, never blindly trust that what a machiner has done is correct and accurate- they make mistakes just like the rest of us. One of the problems with machiners though, is that they also can seem ultra confident and tell you that ' it is right, your wrong, our work is always good, ive never had a problem in 30 years blablabla'... but in honesty, i have seen some MASSIVE issues caused by poor machining, or mistakes made during machining.

Ive had a block returned with the pistons sitting 2mm above the deck (I kid you not... and when I mentioned this issue, they said they had dummied it up :blink: ). As soon as they saw this in person though, they were quite embarrassed... They massively over decked the block (big night out the night before maybe??). I have also seen them over bore/hone to way beyond clearances (triple to 4 times the spec I ASKED for). 

Every one of my engines that I have built has every bearing clearance measured with plastiguage, every cylinder measured to ensure its at the spec I specify and so on. Its an extra 15-20 minutes during a build, but think about how much money and time you spend building the whole thing, taking engine out and putting it back in, etc etc etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users