Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts
  • Name:Richard
  • Car:LH

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

Hi All,

New to the group and what an informative group it is. Lots of great info sharing going on.

I'm rebuilding a LH with a mild 304 with ford 6cyl T5. I have access to a ED ford XR8 diff with LSD

for free. Question is with all the commodore BW diffs being converted has anyone done a ford EA-ED

conversion yet? 

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

Cant really see how there would be a difference?

Need to cut the mounts off and reweld torana ones on, shorten the axle tubes and axles and change stud pattern whichever way you go.

If anything the ford stud pattern would be more usefull than the commy one so may not have to change that.

#3 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:52 AM

The brake setup may be a little bulkier which may or may not be an issue with mounting the shocks. The axle retainer pattern is different to Holden which isn't a problem unless you're wanting to use Holden brakes or change later. The driveshaft flange is also different but parts are available.

Agree on the wheel stud pattern, the studs themselves are more heavy duty too. Not 100% sure but I think that would be an M78 diff which is a slight improvement on the M75 from a Commodore (but shares most parts).

#4 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

ED Falcon was still an M75. Ford went to the M78 during the EF production run.

#5 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

You could try and fit XF drums to it for an easier fitment. XF were made until 1993 with drums. If you change to HQ stud pattern you can then use HQ drums, or if using Torana pattern use HK-HG drums. They fit straight on the Ford backing plates if the axle flange is machined at the same time the stud pattern is changed.

#6 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

ED Falcon was still an M75. Ford went to the M78 during the EF production run.

I shall add a correction. Ford went from 25 spline to 28 spline during the EF production run. I shall have to double check when Ford went from M75 to M78. Sorry about any confusion.

#7 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:43 AM

By the looks of it EB were mostly M75 but one or two models got M78, then increasing use of M78 (but still quite a few M75s depending on drivetrain) throughout subsequent models until they were basically all M78 (and M86) in BA. Also some M80 in BF and FG.

#8 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

Im going to run a ed lsd diff in my hq, same width as the outgoing banjo. The plus is the 114.3 stud pattern but ive also swapped over to the latter ef brakes as im replacing the rears calipers as the handbrake is in the rotor instead of the ed unit that uses the caliper as the hand brake.

before using the ed diff i pulled the axles and counted it as a 28 spline, so must also have the four pinion centre but thats unconfirmed.

Edited by 1uzbt1, 17 January 2017 - 10:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users