Photo

LJ - strange vibration. Help diagnosing.

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 Brent J

Brent J

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Name:Brent
  • Car:Early 72 XU1

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:18 PM

Hi again.

After some help with a strange vibration in my LJ XU-1.

The vibration is only there when you give it a boot full (i.e. when you push it hard). It starts at about 3500 to 4000rpm and becomes quite violent by about 5000 rpm.

It does not seem to be there when coasting, say on the freeway doing 100km/h. Smooth as silk. That said the RPM is probably around 2800 to 3000 when coasting...Also, the vibration is there in all gears, I.e. from first, revving it out under load all the way through..

not the best description but I'm trying to figure out where to start...

Electrical? - Plug leads? Points? (Already changed plugs)

Tail shaft out of balance / missing a weight?

Clutch / fly wheel balance issue?

I have a feeling that this will be a process of elimination!

Regards,

Brent

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:43 PM

This thread may or may not be of some help to you.

http://www.gmh-toran...ossible-causes/

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

Sounds like engine related.

#4 Brent J

Brent J

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:40 PM

Thank you for he link S-pack.

It seems that that fella's symptoms were speed related whereas mine are more engine speed related as it occurs in all gears. None the less, ill drop the tail shaft and inspect the u-joints, alignment, seats and need bearings & caps..

Cheers,

Brent

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:08 AM

It does sound engine speed related, ie same in all gears, but is it load related? Ie only under full/above half/etc throttle in each gear?

#6 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:58 AM

I'd check the ignition system, slightly fouled plugs will still fire at low rpm's but then struggle at higher rpm's and cause a vibration.
What carbs are you using and what's the state of tune?

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:54 AM

Thank you for he link S-pack.

It seems that that fella's symptoms were speed related whereas mine are more engine speed related as it occurs in all gears. None the less, ill drop the tail shaft and inspect the u-joints, alignment, seats and need bearings & caps..

Cheers,

Brent

If you feel the problem is engine speed related then don't waste your time dropping the tail shaft just yet.

#8 Brent J

Brent J

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:03 AM

I did change the plugs out. The old ones were quite sooty, not oily and not grey / white but dry sooty black which I took as being too rich. Also evidenced by the fact that it pushes out black smoke when you start it, and also when you give it stick. Normal general driving its fine.I leaned off the carbs an eighth, put fresh plugs in, cleaned the rotor button and drove it. The plugs still blackened, still had the vibration, but the engine revved out a bit more clearly.
Carbs are triple CD's (engine is XU-1).
I have not yet replaced plug leads, points or condenser. Points look ok.

Edited by Brent J, 31 December 2016 - 07:08 AM.

#9 Brent J

Brent J

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:16 AM

It does sound engine speed related, ie same in all gears, but is it load related? Ie only under full/above half/etc throttle in each gear?

Difficult to say. I feel it is rpm related., I.e above about 3000rpm where you you feel it come in, then it progressively gets worse up to 5500rpm (irrespective of road speed).
Regarding load - seems to be the same regardless if you rev it out gently and work through the gears, or stomp on it and work through the gears.

That said I have not tested it "unloaded" with rear wheels off the ground (safety of course!).

#10 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

I'm still leaning towards the plugs fouling, even if you replaced them. It can take only minutes to foul them enough to cause the type of problems you describe.

Have you set up the carbs as per GMH instructions and with the std needles?

#11 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

Have you set up your triple carbs with a carby balancer?

Have you replaced the flywheel or clutch or harmonic balancer before this vibration started?

Edited by S pack, 31 December 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#12 Brent J

Brent J

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

JD & S-Pack

Re. Settling up the carbs, no I have not setup as manual or balanced with a balancer. That's effectively where I am up to now. I've sourced a copy of the workshop manual and will attempt to set up as per the manual. Failing that, I'll need to buy a balancer as I don't have one. Can you recommend a particular unit I should buy?

Re clutch, flywheel and harmonic balancer, no I have not replaced or changed any of these parts since owning the car. The vibration has been there since I purchased it. The engine / gearbox has had a birthday in a former life at some point (well before it came into my possession).

#13 Brent J

Brent J

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:33 PM

This is what all 6 plugs looked like when I pulled them. I've since replaced them 10km ago and pulled 3 and they coming out quite similar, maybe not quite as bad since they are new.

Attached Files

#14 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

are the plug  leads definately on in the correct order?

#15 Brent J

Brent J

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

Yes - plug leads are on in the correct order. Car runs perfectly otherwise.

#16 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:56 PM

Looks to be very rich, I'd find out why it's running rich before you go much further.

#17 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

This is what all 6 plugs looked like when I pulled them. I've since replaced them 10km ago and pulled 3 and they coming out quite similar, maybe not quite as bad since they are new.

I was going to say there's your problem, but that is just the result of the problem. Obviously you need to treat the cause of the problem which will be the carbs set up incorrectly. I'm sure somewhere on this website there'll be the information to get you started if you don't have a copy of the workshop instructions.

#18 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:49 PM

happy new year;

my money is on the tail shaft, but then again if the tail shaft has not had an issue before and nothing has changed engine wise then i may come back to the plugs.

pull a 1/4 - 1'2 up out of the carbies main jet  if they are CD's and see if the change to the #ibration's is still there - you may get a cough on acceleration =- this is a lean of the mixture after this the re# range and the tourque of the engine should continue 

at least this will tell you if the problem is a fouled plug or a rich mixture.- PS it should change the #ibration range based on the air fuel mixture somewhat if this is the cause.

that plug looks way to rich in the picture, and for street dri#ing I'd run it a bit lean and suffer the cough, on a big foot stamp on the accelerator 

Id also check plug temperature range - take the frOckkkkkking thing out and also run the temperature up, start in first - pull about 5500, pull a " wazza special " and side step the box and cut second, hold id till you feel you wallet about to open then see if third is an option for the old girl !!!

if third is an option then gi#e   it the berried and smile 

if your running CD's or SU's then this is an easier TUNE FIX if your running webbers then your path is a little bit longer - talk to JdLj

the torque of the engine is only passed through the tailshaft under load,, any other time it's maintaining it's inertia position, the torque and the load will depend on the deflection of the tailshaft's harmonics.

hence my money is on the tail shaft which may ha#e had a touch up at some stage - check for lumps bumps and worn uni#ersals - 

Ps - stay close to the source of what is shaking the car. 

G

#19 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

Had a similar problem turned out to be unis.

Checking them for movement while the shaft was still in the car didnt show anything.

Pulled the shaft out and all was revealed.

Dry cups on the rear.

2 new unis and all was good.

#20 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

engine mounts good?

#21 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

I have been in a similar situation to this and I agree it's the tail shaft or unis. My vibration would kick in thru all gears whenever I would really give it heaps from probably around 3500 to 6500. Not only do I get the vibration I get a really full on buzzing sound thru the shifter under heavy load. Wouldn't happen when driving normal but on the highway over 100k's it would start. My build is still fairly fresh so I have new engine and gearbox mounts, engine is well tuned and balanced including flywheel and clutch, flywheel is dowelled and has ARP bolts and loctite, gearbox is fresh as is the diff.
Not having much to eliminate I changed tail shaft. Big difference, straight away even better after getting the rear cups centred where they should be. Sometimes the cups feel seated and centred but when u road test it they aren't. I don't really get vibration from the shaft under heavy load through all gears anymore but it still buzzes like crazy thru the shifter and I can't work out why. Changing from hard mounted to rubber auto trans mounts does nothing either, I tried that. The majority of vibration I get under full load now is from the exhaust resonance and that vibrating. It's surprising how much mine does this.
You said yours doesn't vibrate on the highway at 100k's but how about at say 120 or 140 k's? If your running tall diff gears it may not be revving enough on the highway to reach the point of vibration? Like I said a different tail shaft pretty much fixed my problem but I run 3.9 gears and a 4 speed so when I reach around 100 and am doing close to 4 grand I feel the tail shaft harmonics still start to kick in a little.

#22 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

PS- hardy spicer in Milperra, ga#e me a lecture after the last engine build and on the dyno the dudes go " man that tailshaft has a maaad #ibration" we were not going to take it past 5200.

if you go and try and get the tailshaft straightened then here is my adi#ice;

they make no money from telling you it's all fine.

BUT the will tell you that you need a #8styled larger tube and also #8 yokes- don't fall for this one

ask them to balance the shaft or at worst replace the tube if it's bent - put in solid non greasable uni#erisable 

- just get a brand new one and sell the old one on ebay.

G

#23 u1 71

u1 71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Name:peter
  • Car:torana

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

If you're experiencing vibration through your steering wheel it's tail shaft or road wheels related,if your gear shifter is vibrating it's ignition or fuel related

#24 Brent J

Brent J

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

Wow,

Huge number of posts on this on! Some great information and theories.

Two area's to test are obviously Tailshaft and Ignition / fuel.

Ill drop he tail shaft and inspect the Uni's. At the same time ill check out the Carb tune. (Running CD's) 

#25 Brent J

Brent J

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

Ha - my wallet opens up every time I look a the thing!

Carbs are CD's - pretty much stock .

When you say "pull a 1/4 - 1/2 up out of the carbies main jet" . . you mean the brass Orifice adjusting screw at the base of the carbs? wind in or out?

I'm downloading a bunch of CD manuals on these carbs to get a better understanding. 

Does anyone have a Vacuum gauge that works well for balancing that they would reccommend? If so, where did you buy it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users