repo lj parts

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Hi all,
new to this and no doubt anything i ask has been asked and answered before so apologies in advance.

Im restoring my 73 lj....full strip rotisserie body, rebuild motor, everything.
interior basically is exceptional, i will do new carpet, and get seats re trimmed, just because i might as well do it once rather than later.

my question.

I see bumper bars both front and rear available as reproduction parts.
ive read a couple of comments, some for some against.
I would like a few replies from those that have gone this way,
was it worth it? Are you happy? Would you use them again if need be?
What were the issues/if any?
Any pics of these repo bars on your cars? That you could show me?

Also, from a show point of view, if i was to ever rock up to a car show, and i did have repo bars, would this be frowned upon, or are they accepted?

I do have the original bars, but they would need some work to bring back to the condition id expect to put on the end product.
I see re chromed bars on ebay, look good, but id be concerned buying them, not knowing whats been covered up.
Im thinking at least the repo bars should be perfect, no blemishes etc?

What do i do?
Fors and against...give it to me, i need to do this right first time round, not regret it later, as the wallets not deep enough to re do anything twice.
thanks in advance
Nicho

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,103 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

I know 3 people that have used the bumpers from Rares they seem to be happy with the fit
car shows arnt gunna worry about bumpers

#3 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

I used two last year. More than happy with them and would definitely buy them again

#4 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

Full resto ?

Bumpers are about the last thing you bolt onto the car before you go ask the rego man for plates

Could be more options available by the time your ready

#5 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

Thanks guys
good to hear some positive feedback.
my only concern with buying old restored bumpers is not knowing what they were like prior to restoration, my original bumpers are pretty good but rust showing in areas,
for the price of new repos i may go that way....and as i can afford it get my originals re done as spares.

Interesting regarding shows etc that the reproductions are not an issue, id of thought maybe politically they would be frowned upon, as ive never been involved with a car club. so thanks for the reply ICE.
Im not planning on travelling to shows, but if the chance arises id be keen just to park up, mainly to see others cars and gain some knowledge.

Dattoman,
Im just planning ahead mate, cars completely stripped inside and out, just rolling atm so it can be moved aside, once steering wheel comes out and wheels come off its on the rottiserie...will be several months till its getting put back together, i just want to gain as much knowledge early, so i can have everything ready to bolt on.

Anyone out there had bad experiences with these repo bars? Im keen to hear fors and against.
thanks again

#6 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:27 PM

Hi Nicho, it is actually a good idea to have your parts, ready so when you're doing the Resto you can trial everything to know how it all fits, before the paint goes on. If your bars are quite good, go to a good plater get a quote & go from there mate, your plater will have a better understanding of the work needed, probably $300 - $400 per bar I'd say, Gary.

#7 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

Thanks grumpy,
i will source a plater and get a quote..see what he says....cheers
Only parts i need to purchase bodywise, besides rubbers etc, are the bars, if i buy repo ones i like your idea of checking fit etc prior to paint, getting them ready...thanks for that.

no doubt what i think i need i will probably need double :)
nicho

#8 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

Thanks grumpy,
i will source a plater and get a quote..see what he says....cheers
Only parts i need to purchase bodywise, besides rubbers etc, are the bars, if i buy repo ones i like your idea of checking fit etc prior to paint, getting them ready...thanks for that.
no doubt what i think i need i will probably need double :)
nicho

Stick with the original rear bumper and get it rechromed at a reputable place. I used a repro front bar, as I couldnt source a decent enough original. No problems there with the repro. I tried two repro rears; one did not have the holes set symmetrically, the other had crap chrome. I have kept that as a spare, with the original fixed up.

#9 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Stick with the original rear bumper and get it rechromed at a reputable place. I used a repro front bar, as I couldnt source a decent enough original. No problems there with the repro. I tried two repro rears; one did not have the holes set symmetrically, the other had crap chrome. I have kept that as a spare, with the original fixed up.

use the repo bar brackets to...gm ones seem a bit bigger and wont line up with holes in bar..i had same problem..got repo brackets and it fitted a treat,  

#10 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

use the repo bar brackets to...gm ones seem a bit bigger and wont line up with holes in bar..i had same problem..got repo brackets and it fitted a treat,  

Haha! There you go. That's a trick I'd never thought about. Too late now. Have the rechromed original

#11 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Awesome info guys appreciated....so good to get straight answers to save me the extra funds i wont be able to afford.
I will look into rechroming, and also consider repo with the brackets if the re chrome guy doesnt seem confident of a perfect job.
thanks heaps.
Nicho

#12 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:2005 CV8 Monaro

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

I used front & rear bumpers from Rares & they both fitted fine, chrome was & still is better than the chrome job I got done here in WA

#13 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

Thanks lx308
thats what had me leaning towards repo bumpers, the re chrome guys no doubt do a great
Job, but since i dont have experience with any first hand, my concern would be if chose the wrong guy and there were blemishes id be disappointed, as that money spent could of gone towards new, where as you say, the repo are new unmarked unused.
i will still get quotes and compare, thanks guys.
appreciated.

#14 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:22 PM

Gee Nicho, i just saw you're on the sunny coast. If you go to kunda park electroplating, get them to quote on the job, tell them that you want better quality linishing, so as to not see any scratch marks. & quote for that, your brackets should be blue zinc on the rear bar & the front bar outer brackets too. They're in hi tech drive kunda park. Gary. Ps they don't do repairs, so if you need to you will have to get the repairs done before giving the bars to them.

#15 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:46 AM

i also found that the repo bars are of thicker steel than the gm ones.

#16 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

i also found that the repo bars are of thicker steel than the gm ones.

They are. That also makes them a bit harder to fit.

#17 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

I have a Rares front bumper on my LJ. The finish on the bar and the fit using original brackets are perfect.

#18 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,103 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

I used front & rear bumpers from Rares & they both fitted fine, chrome was & still is better than the chrome job I got done here in WA

Thats coz we got nobody that knows how to Chrome the correct method here

#19 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

I have a Rares front bumper on my LJ. The finish on the bar and the fit using original brackets are perfect.

Yep, same with my front bar. No problems with the original irons. It was just the rear that would not work (with the original irons). Car has never had any rear damage in its life, so I guess I lucked out. Happy with the original though.

Edited by oz772, 13 January 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#20 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Cheers guys...interesting that a couple of guys mentioned the rear bar harder to fit, and the info about the repo irons possibly helping out making a simpler fit...this really helps.
I seen a guy today in a very nice ej ute, i pulled him up, and quizzed him on his chrome work, really nice car tastefully done, he got his bars done in toowoomba apparently a guy named gavin, does a lot of chrome for harley davidson, highly recommended by this guy and the work was above average, so will give him a call, i need to get a few repairs on the chrome body strips also, apparently this guy also does the repairs.
thanks again to all that have commented.

#21 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

I possibly should say anything, but just don't go to the wizard chrome / die cast wizard in narangbah brisbane, poor quality of workmanship ect. Gary.

#22 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

Thanks gary

#23 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:46 PM

Hi all,I've just purchased a front and rear bumper bar from Rares,they've recommended painting the inside with Por 15 ,I would rather not do this ,is there a clear rust inhibitor that could be used to keep the rust at bay ,I'm thinking something like Inox.Ta Paul.

#24 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

I had the original bar on the LJ redone a few years back. I used Vinneys in Melbourne and his work was excellent.

#25 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

Hi Paul.  I'm no expert but I don't think that POR and the like, stick to well to new metal and I suspect worse with newly plated material.  Cheers Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users