ticking/rattling traumatic?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:54 PM

I fitted a blue 253 and commo traumatic in the LH. Just had the auto recond, the bloke said it was cactus and he expected he'd have to do warranty work on it (apparently that bad!) It was shuddering.

Shifts fine and all gears work no worries now, no more shudder. But, there seems to be a ticking noise coming from the tunnel somewhere, and when i really put my foot down there is a rattle. could this be the auto?

My next guesses are a stretched timing chain hitting the cover? (if that's possible?)
Or maybe an exhaust leak? the exhaust has just been done aswell. I dunno anything about autos...

Cheers.

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

try exhaust leak first. with motor cold start it and run your hand over all suspect areas feeling for air escaping.
secondly check for loose or cracked flex plate.

#3 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

I had an EF which made strange ticking sounds from the g/box at random times but more often when cold. Turned out that the bolts on the convertor were loose.

#4 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:31 PM

hm.. i fitted the box myself, i know the converter bolts are tight. i'll try the exhaust but would that explain the rattle?

cheers

Edited by oikurtman, 09 August 2006 - 09:36 PM.

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:56 PM

if its loose it will rattle.

were the bolts torqued up.
was or is the flex plate checked for cracking.

is the starter fowling.
to check start and remove the starter and drive.
for some reason ive found certine starters not fitting 100%

#6 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:53 AM

i don't think the flex plate had any major cracks in it. i couldn;t get a torque wrench on the converter bolts, so i did them up pretty tight. i might try pulling the starter motor out n putting it back in..

cheers.

#7 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

ok. i finally got around to it this arvo.

No exhaust leaks.

Pulled starter motor out and checked. No probs there.

Pulled inspection cover off and checked flex plate for cracking. All good.

Gave coverter bolts an extra reef with the 9/16.

Put it all back together and it didn't seem too bad. Over the next 5 minutes it gradually got worse and ended up just how it was before.

Any ideas? Or should i just send it back to the guy who built the auto? :huh:

Cheers.

#8 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:32 PM

does the ticking noise happen when the car is stationary or moving?

john

#9 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:16 PM

Both. rattle only happens when i really plant it. worse in third. not so bad in 1st n 2nd.

I asked my auto guy about it and he said it sholdn't be anything to do with the auto. it's going in on monday coz the box is leaking but he reckons it might be the starter.

I pulled starter out today and put it back in. same thing as yesterday. fine for about 5 mins then gradually gets worse (rattle, ticking is always there).

:huh:

Cheers.

#10 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

The auto guy said the engine is "pinging." Apparently that explains the rattle when the engine is warm and when i put my foot down. Could someone please explain what this means and tell me how to fix it?

Cheers.

#11 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:05 PM

detonation or "pinking" as the origional term was, is the motor firing the fuel on the combustion stroke at uneven rates, many causes are possible with the main ones being timing too advanced, mixture too lean and even wrong spark plug selection, the list is many and varied and it can even be built into a motor with wrong compression ratio, chamber shape and sharp edges in the chamber.
anyway always start any engine diagnosis with ensuring the engine has been correctly tuned.

#12 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

pinging has a lot to do with low octane fuel as well. have had a few cars that do not like standard unleaded.

#13 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:49 PM

put the 600 holley on today. Definitely not running lean. Will check timing tomorrow.

with the bonnet open and the engine running, there seems to be a ticking sound coming from the passenger side rocker cover. i'm guessing this might be causing the rattle when i put my foot down. tappets? rockers? lifters? :huh:

Cheers.

#14 _Aidan_

_Aidan_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:03 PM

I love the tappets, they are generally a fairly individual sound, will increase in frequency with revvs and make a tapping sound!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users