LJ torana rims questions

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hi all
I hope my questions dont get too boring, as ive got a lot to ask and learn to make sure my LJ restoration ends with good results allround...Not regrets!

Ive considered all options for wheels to suit the end product.
Ive owned the car for approx 17 years....purchased 1 owner with original skinny wheels....not long after purchase i put a set of jellybean mags on...they look good but not what i now desire.
Cars been stored for past ten years...and finally in position to bring it back to former glory as I promised the elderly lady i purchased it from.

Ive decided against sprintmasters....simply because I want the more original look but a bit more rubber.

Ive been trying to source 13x6 steel rims in very good condition and this is proving harder than i thought!

My questions are

1. This is my first preference...I really like the look of black steel rims, with chrome dress ring and original chrome hubcaps with the lion emblem and white trim in centre, Id like this look with possibly red or white lined tires.
since Im finding it hard to source 13x6 steel rims, is it possible, to get the original rims widened?
Who does this kind of work? I live in Se qld if anyone knows?
Is it viable? Is it legal?

2. Next option ...that i like is ....black steel rims, chrome dress ring, holdem emblem centre cap with red or white lined tyres.
my question here is, ive been reading through forum, and it seems this look may of been only on LC gtrs?? So Im not sure if this was the casd if id be happy doing the crossover between models Lc Lj models.
My car is a very good original example, and I want to keep that theme,
is it wrong to put LC gtr style rims on a 4 door LJ SL?
I know i can do anything i want...its my car!
But just cant decided.

3. I read " Nibless" mentioned in some comments re steel rims....does this mean that original hubcaps can NOT be put on these rims? So if I decided on the dress rim and centre cap style, then do need Nibless?

And FINALLY...rims that would take a hubcap are not suited to the centre cap style look?

Now I know and I fully understand that most of you guys reading my questions will have your head hung shaking in shame.....but dont worry theres more to come ! :)
Cheers Nicho

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

SLR Toranas came with a 13x6 steel wheel to if my memory serves me correct try finding a set of them maybe

#3 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

GTR & XU1 steel rims were 5.5" x 13", not 6". Standard S & SL rims were 4.5" x 13". with the 5.5" available as an option.

Only LJ XU1 got the 'nibless' rims, which are the only ones that won't accept a standard hubcap. The GTR type centre cap & chrome nuts will fit any steel rim, with or without nibs. 

Don't bother with 'nibless' rims, they are rare & expensive & only needed for concours LJ GTR XU1s.

Personally I like the stock GTR look with the centre cap, chrome nuts, trim ring & red band tyres.

Dr Terry 

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

LC GTR rims would look good on any Torana if you like that look
go for it

Yeah what the DR said

#5 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

have you looked at HR Holden type rims  ?, they have a deeper offset

the thing that some people did to old stockies was cut the centres out and reverse the outer rim , you end up with a deeper dish .

#6 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

The 13x4.5" HR rim had about a +8 offset ( have one here, but haven't measured it ) and the Torana is +32. Big change. ROH originally made the steel wheels for GMH. The 13x6 Torana wheels were available new a couple of years ago, but I can't find them on their website.

#7 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

Awesome guys thanks! So 5.5 inch rims, could be worth looking up, i had thought 6 inch was next from standard so thanks....so much to learn! Had the car so long, never put much thought into it, but now im older im appreciating it more and keen to do it justice.

Thanks for clearing up the NIBLESS i was not sure what that meant :)

The gtr look wheels i really do like! But i also respect the diehards thoughts of not trying to pretend my car is something its not!

The deep dish look is a definate atteaction for me, so the idea of getting the rims cut to create tgat look is a great option, cheers.....maybe an engineer? Will try to find out who does that kind of work...any ideas?
Thanks again guys...its all helping....i lie awake at night wondering about so many things,should I , could I, will I ?? awesome to have input from experienced people with an obvious passion
Nicho

#8 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

Hi Nicho,

I think this is the ""chook shed"" guy.....he seems to have all sorts of wheels for sale..not cheap, but he does seem to have them

http://www.ebay.com....lpid=107&chn=ps

#9 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

I have some wide stockies, not sure if they are 6 or 7's. The chrome is pretty crap but they would look good with a sandblast and black paint. You can have them for $150, they even come with burnout tyres. :)

Attached File  image.jpeg   116.39K   3 downloads

#10 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

I'm with Dr Terry on this. The LJ SL's looked really nice with the GTR set up. The 5.5" rims in silver with the GTR centre cap and dress rims. Looked really classy on the 4 door SL's (classy as a Torana could look)! Red lines would top it off, especially with some of the original metallic paint colours.

(By the way, the last LC XU1's also had the nibless rims; the CK cars)!

#11 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

thanks guys.
i will check the chook shed.

and kiwi cheers mate, if you can tell me if they are 6" or not that would be good.
7" would be more than i want.
ive had a guy call tiday me who "thinks" he has a set locally and will let me look in a couple of weeks when hes back in town, so will keep yours in mind for if these dont turn out, but like i said 7" is not really what i want.
DO you have 2 or 4 available? And are they 13"?
Cheers Nicho

#12 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Someone can correct me on this, but if you go above 5.5", depending on the offset, you may need to use wheel spacers as per XU1's.

#13 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

Thanks oz
orchid pink metallic with black vinyl roof, as ordered back in 73.
im finding it hard to decide on red trim tyres or white? And i do like the centre caps....how can this be so bloody hard! :)
Black rims with chrome trim or silver rims?
so hard to decide

#14 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

I do have 4, they are 13's. I will see if I can see a size on them tomorrow but I think they are more likely 7's.

#15 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:31 PM

Those ones in Blairs pic are 7s
you cant sandblast chrome
need to get them dechromed big $$$$$

#16 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

you cant sandblast chrome

Thanks for that mail Geno....never knew that

#17 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

Thanks kiwi
and thanks ice, i was wondering that myself..cheers guys

#18 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

http://www.raceengin...m.au/wheels.htm

Call Bruce at Rocklea in Brisbane.

#19 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:1969 LC

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:56 PM

^ What he said.

#20 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

Thanks oz
orchid pink metallic with black vinyl roof, as ordered back in 73.
im finding it hard to decide on red trim tyres or white? And i do like the centre caps....how can this be so bloody hard! :)
Black rims with chrome trim or silver rims?
so hard to decide

I reckon the silver wheels might look better with the black vinyl roof. Black wheels may be a little too heavy with the BVR. But that's my opinion! Good luck ;)

#21 _NichosJL_

_NichosJL_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Hi all thanks
looking into all options.
Ive spoken to the guy at Rocklea (Bruce)
He can make me a set using my old 4.5 inch rims ... cut the face out and add on to new centres creating 6" rims....he doesnt do 5.5inch.

From reading 6inch rims should sit nice without rubbing gaurds etc??
Could anyone who has 13x6 on their LJ confirm that they fit fine?
Also....those that have 13x6 under a standard guard. ..would you know the correct offset ? Basically sitting the wheels as standard.

thanks again in advance
Nicho

#22 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

The main problem will be getting 13" tyres, they're a dying size. Might be better off getting 14x6 HK wheels and use a 195/65R14.

#23 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

The main problem will be getting 13" tyres, they're a dying size. Might be better off getting 14x6 HK wheels and use a 195/65R14.

Michelin do 185/70x13, which works for 5.5" and 6". Of course, you can also spend a lot and get the BF Goodrich redline radials from Antique Tyres in that size as well. Or Avons....

A few of the Korean manufacturers do 205/60x13 which will fit on a 6" ok.

XU1's with the Sprintmasters used 2 spacers front and one rear from memory without having to roll the guards. If you use that offset, I guess that would work ok.

#24 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:39 PM

My point exactly, there are two options available for wide 13" rims on Toranas. Inside word is that the 205/60R13 is on it's death bed.

#25 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:1969 LC

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

Check out my brake upgrade thread. I have listed tyre sizes, wheel sizes and offsets.

My rims were modified by Bruce.
The tyre shop commented on how true and balanced the wheels were when they fitted the tyres.

It all depends on tyre size and ride height.
The rim diameter is irrelevant, the overal wheel diameter and width is what matters.
I've had std 14x6 HK wheels fitted before with no problems.
I now have 17x6.5 on the front and 17x7 on the rear......no problems.

Tyre availability is an issue as mentioned.

Personally, I think +34 offset works well. But I've noticed plenty of wheels being sold/fitted for LJ/LC with +25, +12, even +6
I would measure and decide for yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users