Lh torana starts ,when key is released it stops.

Torana lh Ignition Starts then stops

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _Darren1969_

_Darren1969_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

Hi all my been working on my son and my lh ,having a problem with it,i can start the car but when i release the key after cranking the motor stops,if i release the key just enough to stop the starter motor it will keep running nicely,but i have to hold the key because if i dont the key will go back to far and motor will stop, any help we be appreciated thanks

#2 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

:welcome: to the forums.

Sounds to me like the detent switch needs adjusting.

Drop the 3 bolts from the steering column to access it. 

#3 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

Or the resistor wire is burnt out or open circuit.

#4 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

Agreed... just to expand on that, there are two wires from the ignition switch that power the coil, one supplies full battery voltage only when the key is in the start position, the other supplies a reduced voltage (around 8v if memory serves) when the key is in the IGN position.

The problem may be with the wiring, or it may be the ignition switch? Time for exploratory surgery...

#5 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:01 PM

Darren just to explain the resistor thing, when you start the car and engage the starter motor you also put power +12v to the coil, when you release the key, the switch down the column stops powering the starter solenoid but continues to power the coil via a resistor that drops the voltage down to around 6v, so in effect for starting you have a nice healthy spark at the plugs and a reduced spark one the car is running. as the other poster mentioned it may also be the switch needs adjusting.

Sorry Andrew we posted at the same time !!!

#6 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:57 AM

No worries CI, I'm usually on the wrong end of that myself! ;) The more information the better I say!

Darren, in earlier times there used to be only one wire from the switch and a white ceramic ballast resistor mounted on the coil itself, then the battery voltage for startup was provided by the second spade terminal on the starter solenoid itself directly to the (+) side of the coil.

Later, they must have figured out they could save a buck by having a resistance in the wiring harness instead.

Your other alternative is to bypass the factory wiring altogether and swap the coil out for a 12v model, you normally need to do this when converting to an electronic ignition system anyway.

#7 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

Was thinking either fusible link wire or now has hei instead of points.

#8 VDO

VDO

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Name:Chris Curtis

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

Def sounds like the coil ballast resistor.... open circuit.

#9 _Darren1969_

_Darren1969_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

Thanks just got the car 2 weeks ago and just found the pink wireconnected to coil but not cnnected to anything on the other end was just hanging there?

#10 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

i believe that pick wire should be going to the ignition switch on the column??

#11 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

^ yep , it should go to the ign. switch plug on the switch on the column , it should be joined to another big wire , when you pull the plug off the ign. switch it lives between the yellow and big tan wire and the pink wire has " resistance do not cut" printed on it ,from memory it will 

need crimping back in place as it does not solder that well ?

#12 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

The yellow and pink wires come from different places on the ignition switch, both these wires are joined together at the wiring harness connector that the engine harness plugs into, this connector is usually located in the engine bay near the brake booster and wiper motor, or a bit further over.

With the engine harness unplugged and a volt meter handy, if you put the ignition switch to the run position you should measure 12Volts at the connector (where the yellow and pink wires join), I suspect this test will show no voltage, and this is what you need to repair, and if you put the ignition switch to the cranking position there will also be 12Volts available.

The above mentioned 8Volts due to the resistor wire (the pink one) will measure 12Volts with the coil etc unplugged as there is no current flow through this wire to create the voltage drop, the 8Volts can be measured while everything is connected and the engine running happily.

#13 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:16 AM

Bear in mind that if this wire has been disconnected deliberately, it may have already been bypassed by persons unknown, maybe because it had already failed, or maybe to get battery voltage to the coil?

Either way, I wouldn't be simply reattaching it without further investigation.

#14 _Darren1969_

_Darren1969_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Thanks i will check it out and let all no,at least im heading in the right way thanks to the right people and gmh torana cheers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Torana lh, Ignition, Starts then stops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users