Bathurst 12 hour 2017

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

Wow what a weekend this is going to be, I'll be up there racing in Combined Sedans which is at a max capacity grid of 55 cars. I know the IPRA grid is at max capacity of 55 cars, the radical car grid has something like 38 cars. Plus the 12 hour grid is at 61 cars as of yesterday. If there is one race you need to either watch live or on the livestream this will be it. I'll try and puta some links up prior to the event when they come out. I'm not too sure how I will go with in at footage, I read through the supp regs that I may not be allowed to have incar camera. I'll sort something out though, Gary McKay will be there racing his car in IPRA so there will be at least 2 LJ toranas representing I'm sure Bill Savage is running in Combined Sedans and I have seen there is a couple more that I haven't seen before. There will be some Livestraming you can watch all the action on Friday and Saturday.
Our first session on Friday will be at 07:15 - 07:40 which will be our practice and qualifying combined.
Race 1 will be 13:45 Friday
Race 2 will be 07:15 Saturday
Race 3 will be 14:15 Saturday
IPRA times prac and quali 10:45 Friday
Race 1 will be 15:25 Friday
Race 2 will be 10:00 Saturday
Race 3 will be 15:00 Saturday
It will be great get on it.

#2 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

3rd to the 5th of Feb. Hopefully there will be a good free to air telecast. I guess it is channel 10?

#3 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

I think there will be coverage on channel 7 and 7mate. Livestream for all coverage

#4 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Get a small pinhole camera that mounts inconspicuously and  hook it up to one of those boxes on the floor . The go pro is a give away sadly.

#5 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

was a must see event last year 

recomend it oh yeah!

#6 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

Its a great event, glad to hear Gary is getting out there for a run - should be a battle of the LJ's between you guys! 

Have fun mate!

#7 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

I think there will be coverage on channel 7 and 7mate. Livestream for all coverage

"7 Mate will broadcast the entire Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour live and free around Australia this February.

7mate will also show the Pirelli Top-10 shootout live on Saturday February 4 in a special one-hour live broadcast.

The shootout coverage will commence at 3:30pm on Saturday afternoon, while 7mate will commence its day-long live coverage of the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour on Sunday, February 5, at 5:30am.

Mark Beretta will host the coverage, while RadioLeMans.com commentator John Hindhaugh will be joined by Sportscar and GT racing expert Graham Goodwin and 12-hour regular Richard Craill in the commentary box.

Chad Neylon and Shea Adam will provide pit lane coverage alongside Beretta throughout the two days.

The 2017 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour is set to be the most competitive yet, with a field of more than 60 cars comprised of 15 brands making up a world-class field of exotic GT vehicles."

Edited by Dodgey, 17 January 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#8 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:26 PM

We are going up again this year.

If things aren't too busy in the Thomas pit we will drop by and say hello.

Steve

#9 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Hopefully will just be relaxing in between races, I'm going out next Friday for a shakedown at smsp. I've made some minor changes since island magic which I'm hoping will make the car more pointy. Will know after next Friday I suppose, by all means come past Steve we will be around and keen for a catch up. I'm really excited for this event it's going to be great. Would love to catch up with anyone who is up there with a camera too, I will pay for some photos if anyone is keen to take a camera. See you up there hopefully Chris.

#10 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

Wasnt really going to this event, but Steve has said how good it is, and now there are some Toranas running around, might duck down for the day.

Would love to see your car Chris

#11 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

missed last years - so may be a starter for this years race as a observer . ;last years was a cracker.

good to see that your having another go at the mountain it's a magic place.

G

#12 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

Just went out to SMSP today for a shakedown and test a few new parts and upgrades, all went well hit a new PB and car felt really good. Very much looking forward to racing next weekend. Swapped out the LJ to UC arms which gave us some more caster which seems to have helped with some turn in, maybe it's all in my head ? Track felt really fast which may have added to the lap. Anyway more news after next week.

#13 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

just simply another of the world,s finest races at our 

very own mountain circuit 

bathurst 

great event

may just be better than october

now that there is no aussie manufacturer

loved it from start to finnish

can,t wait for next year!

#14 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

Enjoyed the early hours I watched. Missed the end. Did Lowndes win?

#15 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Anyway more news after next week.

Assume you are still travelling home mate..or unloading and relaxing with a few cold ones....looking forward to your wrap up/pics.

Col

#16 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

Hey Guys, had to tuck into bed early last night I didn't get much sleep all weekend unfourtunately. Started out great, I qualified the car in 13th place which is not too bad considering the 7cars in the front 3rows were DVS cars or Kumho cars a few sports sedans and QTCC were the others. Race 1 started out well I moved up to 11th by lap 3 and all seemed quite good until the cutting. I went down a gear then it felt like I lost all power, I was thinking I had bumped off the fuel pump or did I have an electrical problem ? To be safe I pulled to the left of the track, after waiting for the race to finish I had the chance to look for a problem. Couldn't find anything small so I gave it a kick over. Very rattley and I decided to turn it off, will send it away to be assessed soon.

Ring my brother back in Sydney who hasn't finished work yet, I asked him to head over to my parents place and pick up my old engine/spare engine. He can do, only catch is he didn't leave their place till 7:30pm Friday. So he turns up to the track at 10:30 in that time I have removed nearly all the parts we could until an engine crane and motor turn up. Fast forward to 2:30am Saturday morning it's starting and running ...... Off to bed I go. Alarm goes off at 5:50am because car has to be on the dummy grid by 6:45am. What a great nights rest, anyway started off position 47 finished in 26th had some fun, but massively down on power compared to engine number 1.

Race 3 of the weekend started in position 26th and finished in position 18, not too bad but couldn't keep anyone behind me in a straight line. I couldn't drive her any harder or faster. I will put some videos up in a few days time. To top it off my alternator crapped itself on the way home in my car, luckily I wasn't towing it home. Wasn't a great weekend with trouble free. But all in all gives me something to talk about.

PS great track, everyone needs to have a spin around at some point in their life.

#17 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:41 AM

wow...big effort there to get it going again Chris.

That Mtn is a heart breaker alright!!

#18 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

Did Lowndes win?

Yes

#19 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:52 PM

Hi Chris
I’m sorry we didn’t catch up with you at Bathurst, but your above post explains a lot.
We arrived at the track late Friday night, so missed your qualifying performance. That was a fantastic result from a very fast field of cars. As you said, many were previously run as V8 Supercars and others are very capable Sports Sedans.
We did call by your pit on Saturday morning but it was unattended. Given your workload on Friday night I’m guessing you were in the shade somewhere trying to sleep.
I watched your race 2 & 3 and tried to capture some on-track shots of your car, but my camera (and me) aren’t really up to it.
I’m sure you were disappointed not to have your best engine on-board, but it was a superb effort just to make the grid on Saturday. Well done. And your drives from 47th to 18th were certainly entertaining.
Regards
Steve

Attached Files

#20 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

Attached Files

#21 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

Awesome pictures, yes I tried to get a snooze in between race 2 and 3. Sorry about not being down at the pits it was too hot ! Thanks for the photos they turned out fantastic I reckon, I did try to make a few passes at murrays corner too actually!!

#22 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:04 PM

Great work Chris... Shame about your new engine- hopefully its just something simple and nothing major... I had an engine rattle recently, after the engine just shut down- but my issue was my nylon dizzy gear stripped, causing crazy timing and no power. Hopefully your issue is simple as well. 

Keep us posted for when you are out next, it would be good to come out and watch again. I love seeing your Torry keep the newer racecars honest!

BTW if I ever need an engine out in a hurry- I know who to ring hahahahaha, wow, you are dedicated! I would have hit the piss and my weekend would have been ruined. Love your dedication to get the old engine in. Very impressive. Sounds like you have a nice brother too- not sure many would do what he did. 

Cheers!

Edited by LC-GTR-1969, 06 February 2017 - 08:06 PM.

#23 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:01 AM

big effort changing that motor at the track. got my entry in and cannot wait.

#24 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

Some videos from the weekend
Race 1 https://youtu.be/sHEqW3RPfNI

Race 2

Race 3 https://youtu.be/EwBPO9oVeP8

Edited by Thomastorana, 18 February 2017 - 11:02 AM.

#25 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

great video mate.....you are pretty ballsy on the overtake ( pesky Minis!!) too.   Nice work Chris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users