LC XU1 wiper blades

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _YD870_

_YD870_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

I've been going through some older posts trying to work out if anyone knows for sure what the XU1 wiper arms are.I have the parts books with the specific number but no pics. I read they were anti lift wipers ( like the Falcon GTs had, the twin wire style) this stopped the wind pushing them off the windscreen at high speed.There was a pic put on this forum of the 72/73 Bathurst XU1, it shows the twin wire type.
I'm asking because I have a pair of trico speedblade wire arms , the same length of the LC blades and same clips,curious to see if anyone has the same type.i will try to put up a pic

#2 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

Same as all lc, if they're the same as lj. I'm sure that there's no difference. My xu1 has exactly the same wipers as all lj. Gary.

#3 _YD870_

_YD870_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

I thought they were the same but now I've seen that pic of the Bathurst car , I'm not so sure , dumb question but how do I post a photo of the wiper?

#4 _LC870_

_LC870_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

I  have  been  trying  to  work  this  out  for  many  years  now .

There  are  different  part  numbers  in  the  LC  parts  catalogue  for  standard  cars  and  XU-1 .

I  have  studied  factory  XU-1  cars  and  standard  LC  Torana's , enlarged  the  pictures  but  can  not  tell  the  difference .

Regards  LC870

#5 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

They aren't the twin wire type Sean. I have also done what LC870 has done, and have reached the same conclusion; I can't tell! I have seen two types of arms used on the LC; one is flat, the other is kind of ridged. I think the XU1maybe had the flat type. I only say this because a mate has a pretty much untouched 4 banger SL, and it has the ridged type. But that is no guarantee...I'll see if I can get photos up later.

#6 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

HI

Me too, I've  been trying to find the difference for years.  All XU-1s have had part number for the blade assembly as VS11788 from day one to the end of production. I was told a few years ago that the XU-1 blades were 1 inch shorter, but I have no evidence of this or for what reason why that would be.

There was a change in the arms in April '73 to the Surlock type - but that applied to all cars not just XU-1s.

Cheers

Bazza

#7 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

Just had a good look at the Steve Stathis book on XU1's at Bathurst and disproved my own theory. I'm back in the camp of no idea. I did notice though that HDT and one or two other race teams used the twin wire blades on their LJ race cars. But most used the production blades.

#8 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:12 AM

I've been trying to work this one out as well. My theory is that the springs underneath the wiper arm that push the wipers down onto the window are different.

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:47 AM

I've been trying to work this one out as well. My theory is that the springs underneath the wiper arm that push the wipers down onto the window are different.

The spring is part of the wiper arm which is the same for all LC/LJ Torana (incl the Surlock equipped arms). It is the blade assy that has a different part number as Bazza has already said.

#10 _YD870_

_YD870_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

photobucket link

IMG_1414_zpspmpjw8ss.jpg
IMG_1413_zpstx5lphj3.jpg
AA757C42-1199-4A19-8493-C453671FCB82_zps
D4B69BBC-1FCE-4612-BA79-A4FCF7D33B93_zps​​

#11 _YD870_

_YD870_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

Finally got some pics up, these are the trico speedblades I have in the first few pics ,the last pic has them against the standard blades fitted to my car now.The green one , I'm not sure of who's car it is , and the Bathurst race cars with them .Im leaning towards these being the mystery part number , not sure though. Just going on the fact that the XW GT had these ones in 1969 , maybe Holden liked the idea ? I have seen footage of an old Bathurst race car flying down the track and its wipers rising off the screen from the wind pushing back off the screen and against the back of the blade.

#12 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:09 PM

Finally got some pics up, these are the trico speedblades I have in the first few pics ,the last pic has them against the standard blades fitted to my car now.The green one , I'm not sure of who's car it is , and the Bathurst race cars with them .Im leaning towards these being the mystery part number , not sure though. Just going on the fact that the XW GT had these ones in 1969 , maybe Holden liked the idea ? I have seen footage of an old Bathurst race car flying down the track and its wipers rising off the screen from the wind pushing back off the screen and against the back of the blade.

The wiper blades on your car are the same as the ones fitted to XU1's from the factory (340mm length). As I mentioned, some of the race teams used the twin wire ones, but they are an aftermarket fitment to XU1's. Though maybe they found their way into the parts book as they were going to be fitted. Lots of teams used the 'aero' clips on the actual arms; sometimes two per arm. 

#13 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

The wiper blades on your car are the same as the ones fitted to XU1's from the factory (340mm length). As I mentioned, some of the race teams used the twin wire ones, but they are an aftermarket fitment to XU1's. Though maybe they found their way into the parts book as they were going to be fitted. Lots of teams used the 'aero' clips on the actual arms; sometimes two per arm. 

Harry probably had them listed in the parts book so he could use them on the HDT cars.

#14 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Harry probably had them listed in the parts book so he could use them on the HDT cars.

Haha! True words :)

#15 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

I'm pretty sure that we've covered this topic before & they're all the same, I'm also reasonably sure back to eh used the same trico wiper arm, i marked my xu1 wipers, i haven't measured them against standard lj, but I'm sure a friend has & they were exactly the same, i can't remember seeing them on any holden's Gary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users