dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:52 AM

Due to the large amount of recent requests for verification of tags all enquiries are now to be in this thread so we can keep them all together

Please state the tag numbers on all relevant tags so a proper identification can be done
Also if you have pictures and/or further details of the car please post them here

Anyone posting other than here will have their threads pruned and the info put here.

Members here will help to inform you of what your car is

Remember... just because you have tags doesn't mean you have a genuine car.
There are other tell tale signs of your cars origins to help identify it
Please include all relevant details and ask your questions here

Thankyou

You can also self check your VIN here
http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=33186

#2 _spinner09_

_spinner09_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:53 PM

Im trying to find info on a mates lc gtr which I have an option to buy.It has a build date of march 1970 ,but has all the 186 xu1 gear.This is where it gets confusing.All forums and production figures say xu1 wasnt released in production until august1970.In april 1970 xu1 raced as a sports sedan pre release so im wondering maybe a small run was produced earlier.I am also told Lc gtrs were only produced in brisbane and adelaide.From what I understand this has the code J2 which is Melbourne build.It even has a M22 gear box.The original motor went AWOL with a big hole in it so cross reference on motor is out.I D numbers are 82911cj214432. The chassis no is 08701a.He wants a lot of money for what is basically a wreck ,almost unretrevable.I trust this guy but for five figure outlay on a wreck I need solid info.Any help would be great

#3 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:18 PM

Hi spinner09

You are correct - it is a Melbourne assembled GTR completed on 13/2/70 and sold by dealer 447 during April '70.

GTRs were produced in Bris, Syd, Adel and Melb. XU-1s were only produced in Bris and Adel.

The Aussie 4 speed didn't appear until mid 1971. It should have an Opel 4 speed transmission.

Regardless of whether it was released with XU-1 bits or not (I think unlikely) it is still a GTR according to the options codes.

Cheers

Bazza

#4 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

82911ch178924

any help would be great.
cheers gong

#5 _RKA35_

_RKA35_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

Hi, I'm looking at a new project but I trying to get more info, It's an LC, Can anyone advise the breakdown of the VIN number??? Vin is LC208028, The seller is saying it's a GTR. Any info is appreciated.

#6 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

Sounds more like a body number to me. VIN should start with an 8 and be 12 or 14 numbers.

Steve

#7 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hi mate welcome to the forum , you need to get the numbers off the three tags ,the long skinny one is the vin , the back tag , near the wiper motor has a number on it that should be the same as the one stamped into the chassis ,it also should have (2 door) on it .The other front tag (paint ,trim , body) the body number off it , should also be checked , to make sure they are all off the same car ! if you put them up on the forum ,you will get better idea if its real . Also maybe see if there are weld marks around the chassis number ,looking under the front gaurd .

#8 _drs88_

_drs88_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

G'day guys,

Bought a GTR a few weeks ago, had all the tags checked out before I bought it. Lost the bit of scrap paper I wrote the details on and was just wanting to get the info again. The vin number is 82911CJ47580 with a build date of 10/70. Also the book I have says the trim code of 40 V is black, along with about 10 other trim codes. Does anyone know why there are so many trim codes for black?

P.S not being lazy the file with all the tag info on it doesn't work on my mac.

Dan

#9 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:46 PM

Hi

PM sent

Bazza

#10 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

Usual story, Car (LJ coupe) has had bolt on tags removed at some stage and have long disappeared into the ether.
Is there any way to determine when it was built by the body/chassis number stamped on inner guard of the engine bay? Does this number give any further info through cross linking with other data?
I have perused the various sources including the limitless reach of DR Google but with no luck.
Any ideas? The stamped number is BLJ 21400A.
Thanks in advance,
Rexy

#11 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hi Rexy

Sorry to say that the Chassis Number sequence is independant of the vehicle model. All we can say from that number is that it is an LJ produced in Adelaide during the first 7 to 10 days of March 1973.

Cheers

Bazza

#12 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hi Rexy

Sorry to say that the Chassis Number sequence is independant of the vehicle model. All we can say from that number is that it is an LJ produced in Adelaide during the first 7 to 10 days of March 1973.

Cheers

Bazza

Thanks for the rapid reply. How were you able to determine this date?
Yours in curiosity (given my inability to find anything useful myself!),
Rexy

#13 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the rapid reply. How were you able to determine this date?
Yours in curiosity (given my inability to find anything useful myself!),
Rexy

Hi rexy

I have a large database of LC and LJ Chassis Numbers and their corresponding production dates. From this I can make an educated guess.

Cheers

Bazza

#14 _Darrmandy_

_Darrmandy_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:06 PM

Giday,

I have an original GTR id plate (trim - radiator support panel one). I pulled it off my GTR many years ago as something to remember the ball of twisted metal I had created from a really nice car. Perhaps someone might have a GENUINE use for it i.e. I might consider selling it to someone who isn't going to rivet it to the front of an SL.

This site seems reasonably well organised and I'd be very happy to recieve opinions on what to do with this piece of memorabillia. Its been quite safe in my desk draw for about twenty years and I dont mind at all leaving it there...but it would be nice to know its in the best location it can be.

Cheers,
Darren

Model: LJ82911M
Body No: 100658
trim: 1848 40X
paint: 567 131160

#15 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:54 PM

With the data base people have on numbers these days, to put an incorrect tag on a car , would only de-value the car , and turn an original with a missing tag , into a suspect vehicle .Keep it with the picture of your old car.

#16 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

Giday,

I have an original GTR id plate (trim - radiator support panel one). I pulled it off my GTR many years ago as something to remember the ball of twisted metal I had created from a really nice car. Perhaps someone might have a GENUINE use for it i.e. I might consider selling it to someone who isn't going to rivet it to the front of an SL.

This site seems reasonably well organised and I'd be very happy to recieve opinions on what to do with this piece of memorabillia. Its been quite safe in my desk draw for about twenty years and I dont mind at all leaving it there...but it would be nice to know its in the best location it can be.

Cheers,
Darren

Model: LJ82911M
Body No: 100658
trim: 1848 40X
paint: 567 131160

hang it on your bar wall mate...we dont like offers like yours
to sell tags..at least we can now put those tag details in the "dodgy tag thread"
thanks for that darren :sucker:

#17 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:06 AM

my thoughts exactly, but I couldnt find the bloody thread !

#18 _Darrmandy_

_Darrmandy_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:54 PM

Thanks,

Cheers Threeblindmice. Thats exactly what I needed to know - the bar wall it is. I dont want to creat problems anywhere or for anyone - hence my post.

Meanmachine72 - are you quite certain you dont like honest people?

Darren

#19 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:00 AM

hi darren...yeah i like honest people, you seem to be one :spoton:
welcome to the forum mate
cheers johnno

#20 2403jam

2403jam

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Name:2403jam
  • Car:LJ GTR and LX SLR

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

hi guys lookin at buyin a gtr xu1 on ebay can some one help with these numbers please h259815 jp249790 and alj16433b thanks best forum

#21 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

Hi 2403jam

Those numbers check out fine. XU-1 completed Brisbane 24/11/72 and sold by dealer 608 (Ern Jones Pty Ltd - Bankstown NSW) during 12/72. The engine number is not recorded on the VIN disc but JP249790 would seem to be correct judging by other numbers in that PSN range.

Cheers

Bazza

#22 2403jam

2403jam

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Name:2403jam
  • Car:LJ GTR and LX SLR

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

Hi 2403jam

Those numbers check out fine. XU-1 completed Brisbane 24/11/72 and sold by dealer 608 (Ern Jones Pty Ltd - Bankstown NSW) during 12/72. The engine number is not recorded on the VIN disc but JP249790 would seem to be correct judging by other numbers in that PSN range.

Cheers

Bazza

thanks your bazza your great help mate all the best thanks agian

#23 _202foryou_

_202foryou_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

hi was wondering if anybody could help me i am looking into buying another torana this one is supposably an original shell with a modified engine was hoping someone cold look at these numbers and tell me wha i am working with ??  vin nmber lc 05067B   the he said this number was the gt xu1 number 82911ch150146 

#24 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

Hi

That VIN appears on the disc as a GTR completed in Brisbane on 30/1/70 and appears to have been used internally by GMH.

XU-1s didn't come on to the scene until mid 1970.

All 3 numbers are consistent with that build date. It goes without saying that having the correct tags doesn't make it a genuine car. An expert should view the vehicle for verification.

Cheers

Bazza

#25 _202foryou_

_202foryou_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

this might sound stupid but who do i find to verify these numbers ?

thanks heaps for your reply Bazza i appreciate it ..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: model identification, verification, vinplate, Body identification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users