Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

Ok guys I have searched through old threads for hours and found plenty of useful info but no definitive answer, so I give up.  I am finally getting my arse into gear and starting to source stuff that I need while the current 2 door (LC) is in the metal fab stage still.

I am mini tubbing to the rail by splitting the original tub. Will be running a shortened VN diff retaining the VN disc setup. Convo's or Welds or the like (not quite decided)  15 x 8.5 keeping tyre choice in the range of 235-275 wide. I have sort of decided on a 255/60 though I think as I know the 275 may be a tight fit and require extra work.

I have but two questions.  

1/ In splitting the tub and widening does the back seat require any mods to fit?

2/ And this is the one I just cant find an answer for in the plethora of mini tub threads. What backspace rims will I need? Keeping in mind clearance to the shock also. I need a definitive answer so I can purchase rims and then do my mocking up and measuring so my diff guy can start chopping. I will have the diff shortened as much as half an inch shorter each side than the banjo housing if required to keep it legal. 

Can anybody with a mini tubbed LC or LJ (with stretched original tubs) running 15's and big rubber shed some light?

#2 Lc69

Lc69

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:1969 LC

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

I've considered which way I would go if I did something like this myself.
You need to find a wheel style that you can fit to the front and the rear.
No point fitting an nice zero offset wheel on the rear and then finding they don't make them with a reasonable positive offset required for the front.
Then there's the legalities around width, track, etc.

I would select wheels and then make the diff width to suit.
Probably in a Chev/HQ or F@rd pattern to Expand wheel options.
The Comoddore pattern might be more difficult.

You may want to consider relocating the shock mounts on the diff inboard at the same time. (You will probably need to do this anyway)

You should get the 8.5" under there easy.
Just watch the rolling diameter of the wheel, depending on how low you go.

Be great to see some pics as you work through it.

#3 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:01 AM

Yep, should have added rear axles will be redrilled to HQ pattern for better choice of rims and will be running HQ brakes up front.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users