Ordering an L34...

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

Quick queiry, more curiosity than anything else....
Back in the day (certainly not my day haha), how did you go about ordering an L34? I've seen a lot of advertising and dealer order forms for the LH and all of them seem to exclude mentioning the L34.
Was it only certain dealers? Could you only order it from the factory? Did you need to be 'in the know'?

Any information from those who actually ordered one would be great?

Thanks for the help friends!

#2 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:02 PM

Secret handshake.

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

Brown paper bag full of fifties (we didn't have C-notes back then).

#4 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

The L34 was priced at $6200 - a piddling amount today but no small ask then, especially since you really had to spend another $1500 on the 'high output pack' if you wanted a full-on race homologation version. This pack included roller rockers, solid lifters, modified exhaust system, racing piston rings and an oil cooler.
A new Holley four-barrel (780cfm) replaced the four-barrel Rochester and the so-called 'Bathurst cam' was fitted. Also available was the superior TI0 four-speed gearbox.

If you could pull together the money, you still had to find the car. They were thin on the ground, and for obvious reasons Holden's sales managers gave preference to those who intended to go racing.

http://www.hunterval...L34_Torana.html

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 22 February 2017 - 08:54 AM.

#5 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

"Also available was the superior TI0 four-speed gearbox."

That gearbox did not come out with L34, not even the high output option. They too had the M21

#6 Max's SS

Max's SS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

When the L34 was released I worked at Peterborough in SA. Local Holden dealer Toop Motors has 1 in the showroom.

Made an enquiry but was told I had to " have a racing licence " to purchase which I didn't have. Car sold after a couple of months.

Not sure if anyone else encountered the same situation.

I did have the money to purchase.

Steve

#7 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

When the L34 was released I worked at Peterborough in SA. Local Holden dealer Toop Motors has 1 in the showroom.
Made an enquiry but was told I had to " have a racing licence " to purchase which I didn't have. Car sold after a couple of months.
Not sure if anyone else encountered the same situation.
I did have the money to purchase.

Steve

Interesting, I was told by someone a CAMs license was required at the time but I put that off as a rumour seeing as the L34 was a street version engine with stock manifolds and other restrictions in place. After all Holden needed to sell a certain amount so they could homologate the engine and other parts into the touring car circuit. Doesn't make sense as to why they would make it difficult to attain to the average person.
That being said, it sounds like it was the case in your experience...

Anyone else on here actually order themselves one or know someone that did that can verify or add something?

Oh and I'm aware of the H.O pack, I know it was a dealer only option and not something you got through Holden officially. My query is just on how you went about getting your hands on an L34 from new

#8 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

Interesting, I was told by someone a CAMs license was required at the time but I put that off as a rumour seeing as the L34 was a street version engine with stock manifolds and other restrictions in place. After all Holden needed to sell a certain amount so they could homologate the engine and other parts into the touring car circuit. Doesn't make sense as to why they would make it difficult to attain to the average person.
That being said, it sounds like it was the case in your experience...

Anyone else on here actually order themselves one or know someone that did that can verify or add something?

Oh and I'm aware of the H.O pack, I know it was a dealer only option and not something you got through Holden officially. My query is just on how you went about getting your hands on an L34 from new

after the 160 mph supercar scare when all 3 manufacturers were forced by government threats to ordering from these companies

and the ever present media backlash

it,s little wonder that the big 3 

and especially GMH chose a very low profile when the L34 HO pack was ordered

thus a dealer fitted option only!

very very lucky owners of these h.o optioned L34,s these days unless of course there barbados green ones

have a laugh laurie 

don,t cane me 

i can,t take it anymore!!!!!

#9 Max's SS

Max's SS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

When I enquired about the L34 at Peterborough the car had just been released. After the Supercar scare all manufacturers would have been wary as to who bought their high performance cars.

Being only 19 at the time..the "need a racing licence" may have been a way of not selling to a perceived inexperienced driver.

I don't believe Holden found 263 racing licence holders to sell all the L34s.

Steve

#10 Max's SS

Max's SS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

Be interesting if any members on here bought one new if they had to meet certain conditions to purchase.

Steve

#11 a9x868

a9x868

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

When I enquired about the L34 at Peterborough the car had just been released. After the Supercar scare all manufacturers would have been wary as to who bought their high performance cars.

Being only 19 at the time..the "need a racing licence" may have been a way of not selling to a perceived inexperienced driver.

I don't believe Holden found 263 racing licence holders to sell all the L34s.

Steve

they didn,t

but that,s another story for another time

#12 VIXL34s

VIXL34s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Name:jeff
  • Car:2x L34s,+ HZ GTS, A9X HATCH.A9X SEDAN

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:53 AM

I walked in off the street and bought one. Had heard about the license stuff but was told it was not an issue. I was also nineteen at the time, bought a Barbados car from United Motors in franklin street adelaide. Regards jeff

#13 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:34 AM

after the 160 mph supercar scare when all 3 manufacturers were forced by government threats to ordering from these companies
and the ever present media backlash
it,s little wonder that the big 3
and especially GMH chose a very low profile when the L34 HO pack was ordered
thus a dealer fitted option only!
very very lucky owners of these h.o optioned L34,s these days unless of course there barbados green ones
have a laugh laurie
don,t cane me
i can,t take it anymore!!!!!

GMH would never have fitted the high output package anyway as it would mean the car was not emissions compliant, plus they'd also have to warrant the engine and driveline and they weren't silly enough to do that! Best the dealer or more likely the owner or others fit it.

#14 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:55 AM

Did anyone care about emissions in 1974 ?

I've heard the CAMS licence story a few times

For both L34 and XU1 (1973)

#15 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

Yes Datto. GMH went to great lengths to publicise their "clean air" engines. Was all supposed to start in September 1973. This is when the V8 Quadrajets changed from 70412 to 70432, and cars got hot boxes and air flaps on the air cleaners and PCV valves with sealed crankcase -essentially ADR27. 350 engines changed too from August. The whole thing was pushed back within GMH until October, most likely to get those last 150 odd XU1's complianced as they would not have complied. GMH's target of 1st September 1973 was in line with Govt requirements but in the end it wasn't mandatory until a little later as Ford and Chrysler managed to get mandatory compliance delayed until into 1974. As a result 27 and the change from DHQ to EHQ didn't happen until April 1974, but GMH were ready by October 1973. Probably lucky for GMH that they were able to delay those final build XU1 waiting for the special spec engines or they'd have been in the situation where they had to assemble and compliance a number of cars in August and have them sitting around waiting for over a week for engines. Not good for a 'just in time' business model. As it was there was a couple of those complianced in September but not completed until later, imagine having dozens of them!

So in the end, an L34 with HO cam and Holley would never have met ADR27 requirements, and it would also not have been worth the massive expenditure required to prove compliance for the handful of kits involved.

Edited by yel327, 23 February 2017 - 10:01 AM.

#16 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

My 12/74 HJ wasn't ADR 27 and only had the PCV.

#17 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

PCV is part of ADR27 and all HJ passenger vehicles had 27 on the compliance plate. HJ commercials had the exact same stuff as HJ passenger but didn't have 27 on the compliance plate. 12/74 will have PCV, hotbox on exhaust manifold and air cleaner with the valve in the snorkel on V8, can't remember what was on 6cyl as they went in the scrap bin. Anything other than that is not original.

GMH appear to have complianced a lot of HJ too in 12/74 and finished them in 1975. Probably to avoid fitting vapour separator, vapour lines, canister, canister lines and sealed bowl or captured bowl carbs. Probably $50 saving per car and if they did maybe 500 of these it is a decent saving. On commercials they could also have avoided the retractable seat belts which became mandatory on 1/1/75 like canister recovery.

Edited by yel327, 23 February 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#18 a9x868

a9x868

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

I walked in off the street and bought one. Had heard about the license stuff but was told it was not an issue. I was also nineteen at the time, bought a Barbados car from United Motors in franklin street adelaide. Regards jeff

jeff 

my barbados comments are directed at one person only 

who shall remain nameless

ok . laurie

your a very lucky man to own the cars that you do

sir

#19 VIXL34s

VIXL34s

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Name:jeff
  • Car:2x L34s,+ HZ GTS, A9X HATCH.A9X SEDAN

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

Hey dave I was aware of the BS going on with you guys, the fact is it was a Barbados car. We have mutual mate in Craig P. Cheers

#20 a9x868

a9x868

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:04 PM

Hey dave I was aware of the BS going on with you guys, the fact is it was a Barbados car. We have mutual mate in Craig P. Cheers

jeff

craig is a top top bloke 

fellow member of the holden club here in w.a

and my apprentice to boot

here in w.a we don,t have alot to do

except take the piss out of each other 

all in good fun

that other barbados owner shiney is a great bloke too!

but ffs don,t tell him i said so!

#21 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:44 PM

Hey Jeff,
You would remember this,
Attached File  IMG_2082.JPG   71.16K   2 downloads

#22 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

PCV is part of ADR27 and all HJ passenger vehicles had 27 on the compliance plate. HJ commercials had the exact same stuff as HJ passenger but didn't have 27 on the compliance plate. 12/74 will have PCV, hotbox on exhaust manifold and air cleaner with the valve in the snorkel on V8, can't remember what was on 6cyl as they went in the scrap bin. Anything other than that is not original.

GMH appear to have complianced a lot of HJ too in 12/74 and finished them in 1975. Probably to avoid fitting vapour separator, vapour lines, canister, canister lines and sealed bowl or captured bowl carbs. Probably $50 saving per car and if they did maybe 500 of these it is a decent saving. On commercials they could also have avoided the retractable seat belts which became mandatory on 1/1/75 like canister recovery.

Mine was a van built 12/74. No ADR 27 on the compliance plate and as I said, only the PCV.

#23 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

Correct, HJ commercials didn't show 27, but they had all the ADR27 equipment applicable to the engine.

#24 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

Mine was a van built 12/74. No ADR 27 on the compliance plate and as I said, only the PCV.

As HK1837 has said, ALL Holdens from late 73 onwards had ADR27, but it wasn't stamped on the ADR plate on commercials.

If yours was a 6-cyl it would've had not only the PCV valve (which was standard for all Holdens since mid-1967) but also the PCV return to the air cleaner assembly. This also required the 3-hole rocker cover & the flat (sealed) oil cap. A close look at the carby will also show a sealed off idle mixture screw.

If your car was a V8 then the hot box, heat riser tube & air cleaner snorkel with the hot air valve would also be present.

Dr Terry

#25 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

^Except if it was an L34.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users