Lx steering arm advise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _Ls1_sshatch_

_Ls1_sshatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Hey guys, just chasing a little advise on steering arms. I've fitted 320mm Wilwood brakes to my Lx but the calliper is fouling on the tie rod grease nipple.

The front end is 30mm lowered with uc upper arms mounted in lower holes, torana stub axles and Uc steering arms. My passenger side steering arm is bent so I will need to get a new set anyway.

So should I. Get another set of uc arms and use a tie rod without a nipple. Or could I use the a9x(harrop) arms? I'm sure they would fix my clearance issues but are they able to be used effectively with the higher Torana stub axle?

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

What is your static caster? The higher you set this, the lower you can move the outer tie rod end to compensate. The UC arms are generally pretty good around 3-6 degrees positive with standard Torana stubs.

If it is only fouling the grease nipple then a set of tie rod ends with the nipple on the side instead of top would solve the problem.

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

You really need h series stubs to use the Harrop steering arms.

You might also get away with a sealed tie rod end with no grease nipples. Not sure if repco still do them but they used to.

#4 _Ls1_sshatch_

_Ls1_sshatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

thought that may be the case, I was just unsure if the lowered springs would have a similar effect as the drop axles on tie rod angles. thanks for clearing that up👍 Now Ive just gotta find another set of uc arms at a reasonable price

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users