Photo

LJ charcoal canister with triple dcoe air box.

Pollution set up in LJ?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

Hi guy's,

As some of you may have read on another thread of mine I've recently built a air box for my triple dcoe webers on my LJ. I had my torana out on the weekend and the air box is a great upgrade that I'm glad I went to the trouble of making.

It gives me quality filtration, greatly reduced induction noise and stops any fumes entering the cabin. As you know LC /LJ Torana's have a tendency to be quite fumy.

The only problem at this point is that the air box does such a good job of containing the fumes that once the engine is warmed up and then turned off the fuel fumes coming from the carbs collect within the air box and then when I go to restart the engine the mixture is then too rich and to start it I have to hold the throttles open whilst cranking the engine over. Once it's started everything is great again.

So to overcome this it seems that fitting a charcoal canister may do the trick. From what I understand I need a line of a decent diameter from the air box to the canister and another smaller one with a purge fitting to return the fumes back to the air box once the engine is above idle. From what I've read about these it may be worthwhile hooking up the fuel tank breather whilst I'm at it, that should be fairly straight forward,what diameter line is required to do this?

If I plumb the PCV into the air box should I have a T piece in that hose to the charcoal canister?

Are there different charcoal canisters from different model torana's, kingswoods or commodores? If so which one would be most suitable for my intentions?

Are aftermarket canisters available?

If I get my hands on a old GMH canister does the carbon break down or lose its effectiveness over time?

Has anyone else fitted one into a LJ? I figure that I can hide it easy enough if I go ahead.

Cheers James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users