• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

What's the best way to achieve a close to factory look but using today's 2 pac paint?

I'd like to put both body colour & satin black under final clear coat but not sure if it's doable with the satin black finish.

What can be done?

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

Not really, no. 

The clear will just make the satin glossy.

You can get satin clear but you will still have a mask edge. 

#3 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:10 PM

Not really, no. 

The clear will just make the satin glossy.

You can get satin clear but you will still have a mask edge. 

Thanks DJ..I thought so but just wanted to be sure. It's either black (Gloss finish) & body colour under the clear or..

Spray the satin black over the body colour after the clear has been applied & live with the edge.

That's how it was done any way.

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:37 PM

Pretty much mate. 

Third option I suppose is base the whole car out, so do yoru body color, mask it, do the blackouts, then gloss clear the lot, then mask the blackouts again and put some satin clear over that.... Lots of dickassing around for no real benefit that way though. 

#5 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:05 PM

Why flow coat a white & black paint scheme, it's how they were done factory. Just paint the car in full gloss solid & then put flattening base in the black, your paint shop should be able to formulate the ratio as it can vary with paint brands, just say that you want semi gloss. Gary.

#6 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:44 PM

From my understanding you cannot put flattening base in direct gloss colours, 2pac, but you can in the 2pac clear.

#7 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

Why flow coat a white & black paint scheme, it's how they were done factory. Just paint the car in full gloss solid & then put flattening base in the black, your paint shop should be able to formulate the ratio as it can vary with paint brands, just say that you want semi gloss. Gary.

Hi Gary, I'm not painting my white hatch. I've got a contessa gold (metallic) SS hatch in the resto shop atm.

It'll be ready for paint in a couple weeks so that's why I'm exploring finish options.

#8 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

Hi Ando, I just used white as an example mate, yes you can paint it Contessa, then clear it. Rub down the black out area mask & add flattening base in the paint systems I've been working with before. It will put a slightly different appearance on the colour, if in a shop, talk to the painter he will know what to do with his particular brand. As i stated most of the brands stipulate percentages for a specific gloss ie semi, low, matt. But he will know when he checks there specs. Gary.

#9 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

House of colour make a satin paint that when polished stays satin. In Canberra we have a Mad Max lookalike which has the lower half of the car in the HOC satin and looks trick, no problems of shinny bits.

#10 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

That would be handy, however "if" you are chasing originality, the gmh paint will go more glossy when polished you're spot on. It's quite difficult to polish it & not get a shine, you nearly have to do it more regularly to keep looking original. Gary.

#11 _Darylle_

_Darylle_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

WOW!! I would love to see a contessa gold SS hatch, in original paint scheme! That would have to be very rare? 

#12 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:24 AM

I'll talk further with my painter.

A couple years ago, I saw a restored contessa gold LX SLR 5000 with the satin blackouts. I was very impressed with the appearance!

I've searched for photos of a gold SS & there's hardly any good images out there so I figure the factory standard gold SS is rare these days.

The Holden RTS TV commercial featuring PB has a contessa SS as the camera car which looks the same.

I do know of another contessa gold SS 5.0 litre manual hatch but I don't think it'll be back on the road anytime soon.

Edited by Ando, 07 April 2017 - 05:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users