Photo

Big Torana vs Little Torana

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

i full on agree with the shevster here its like comparing a new monaro against a 1920s vintage car. put simple the xu1 only had the red 6 as its engine where as the a9x had a hot 308 ...

however if we were to whack the same specs engine into the xu1 as the a9x has then i think the true hero would emerge

#27 _Shevster_

_Shevster_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

however if we were to whack the same specs engine into the xu1 as the a9x has then i think the true hero would emerge

I'm not so sure, the LC/J are very narrow compared to LH/Xs, so with the wider track youd expect to the latter models to probably perform better around corners. Although they are also heavier as well.

Besides, the LH/X ar an evolution of the LC/Js...

Its basically up to each individual to choose which model they prefer the best and in 90% of the time it is an emotional decision....

#28 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:47 AM

I think the odds were stacked against the A9X as it would look bad for Holden if the 27yr old A9X came first.

Imagine if Brocky was given the nod to prep the A9X and rewind to 79 mode, now that would be a true comparison !!!

Proof is in the pudding.
The times of the era were posted earlier. The qualifying lap record is 2m.06.8594s. In my reckoning, thats about a 14 sec difference, would work out alot of the whole race distance!!

There is no way you can compare or even try to dream that the A9x was ever going to beat the cars of today!!!

What would make you think Brocky and the boys didnt prepare it properly back then when they were racing it ?

Dont also forget the track has got an extra corner in it now aswell which would add to the times posted back then ...

#29 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:54 AM

Channel 7 did this comparison a little while ago... A9X/HRT Supercar/VY SS

The HRT won, followed by the SS, then the A9X.

RIM

From what I can see, the A9X did the second best time.

http://www.youtube.c...related&search=

They were all given quite a head start one after the other in the order of VY SS, A9X and then the HRT Supercar. The A9X caught up with the SS and was behind it only by a short distance before the finish line. The HRT Supercar clearly beat them all, but this car is clearly a different kettle of fish and not something you can buy off the production line or even close to it, it blew both cars away on the straight.
You can see that the A9X being a preserved historic was being babied around the track by Brockie as he clearly didn't want to damage it.
A properly prepared A9X or group C L34 etc can beat a factory VY SS on a track like that one, (but of course we're talking modifications to a V8 Torana) with equally skilled drivers.

At the end of the day, people shouldn't underestimate the potential that can be harnessed from the ole Torry, drag racing and circuit racing alike, they're still fairly competative in the comparison.

Cheers,
Rick.

#30 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

sure ,everyone had in mind that itd be looked after considering its importance as a historical item but it sure looked like a bit of a handful on those rock hard tyres. i reckon there was still enough effort put into the drive,but certainly the preparation wasnt there for a true onslaught.no dig at chris and the boys.

#31 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

hrmm this bathurst guide says the top 10
1 peter brock torana 2.20.0
2 colin bond falcon 2.20.8
3 allan moffat falcon 2.21.5
4 bob morris torana 2.21.7
5 derek bell torana 2.24.6

that was the 1978 times in 1979 brock smashed the lap record on his last lap so it would of been quicker than 2.20.0

#32 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

Spirited demonstration I think they call it.

Now what was missed in the origonal questions was.
Are we talking about what you could by off the show room floor or the race cars.

It would be very interesting to compare an Xu1 as bought from the dealer (no mods) vs an A9X bought from the dealer (no mods) around the mountain.
I would think maybe the Xu1 would have the upper hand on the A9X.

#33 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

na no way the a9x is a weapon it would own the xu1 :) either way there both awsome cars gota remember 2 the xu1 in 72 only had 500km of racing would it last the 1000km like the a9x did hehe GO THE A9X

#34 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

You mean the 800K, It was a 500 mile race in 72...

Steve

#35 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:37 AM

yea true buddy

#36 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:54 AM

I think the XU1 would nail the A9X around Bathurst, the only problem would if the A9X caught up to the XU1 by the time it got to Conrod Straight ut would be munched by
the V8.

cheers Keith

#37 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:56 AM

I like both of them for different reasons but I think the A9X would win... Few years difference in technology. I still like the XU1's though...

#38 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

My money is on the A9X

#39 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:12 AM

Yeah... No amount of work short of forced induction on a red 6 compares to a worked 308... I'll say factory vs factory, the A9X would win it from the start line. It would out-accelerate, out brake, out handle and out everything the XU-1. Thats not to say that the XU-1 wouldnt be lapping at the heels at the finish line!

Cheers
Keith

#40 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 31 August 2006 - 01:31 AM

This topic came up at work yesterday and I was humbled when one of the appretices reminded my of the Mini Coopers win against Holden 6's and V8 Valiants. Says a lot for handling and power to weight. :huh:

#41 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

If you took both off the show room floor then the debate for the XU1 has plenty of weight in its favour.

Stock A9X with it's statesman motor and thin standard tyres has a greater gap between it and the A9X Group C race car than the XU1 and it's race derivative.

Imagine the specticle of them hammering around Bathurst!!

#42 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:47 PM

if any of you have owned a 400hp v8 powered LH LX torana with 4 speed manual
or had the chance to of driven one . then you would no witch would win
against brocks 320hp xu1 you do the sums

#43 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:19 AM

I included handling aswell as power to weight ratio in my guess of what would win...

#44 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:43 AM

hehe i watched the torana dvds tonight im 100% sure the a9x would own the xu1 from watching the 72 bathurst the lj was lucky 2 win with rain and bad luck goin fords way. the a9x is buy far they best torana built :)

#45 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:52 PM

I agree with the baron if you read what he says ,both off the showroom a 73 xu1 would easily win around bathurst but in race trim the xu1 doesnt improve much but a A9X would improve by heaps . Think about it a stock A9x and its top speed against a car that handled well and was probably 20 miles an hour faster . But in race trim the A9X was more than 20 miles an hour faster than the XU1 and handled very well , my 2 cents worth , TREX

#46 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:41 PM

not that it would ever happen now (rip brocky) some one should have given brocky a replica a9x that he could have thrown around the track and not had to worry about writing off a piece of history.

but i would go the a9x jsut because it had extra development time

#47 _knighty_

_knighty_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:53 AM

comming from a MOPAR man, and an lc owner, definately the A9X
quite touching that clip.

#48 Peterpilot

Peterpilot

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Name:Peter
  • Car:SS Hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:12 PM

I agree with The Baron
Showroom cars = XU1 victory
Racing cars = A9X victory

#49 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:22 PM

Showroom cars = XU1 victory
Racing cars = A9X victory

Agree, and if there wasn't a muscle car scare, XU-1 V8 would of killed everything for years.

#50 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

I'm pretty sure in the A9X/SS/V8 Supercar race they went in that order.

The SS(Cam McConville?) caught up to Brocky at the end, and Skaifey killed em both in the then current V8 Supercar......

If I was Brocky I would have been taking it real easy to just enjoy the drive of a REAL car.....

A9X would beat an XU1, and an LJ XU1 would beat an LC XU1, isn't that why its called 'development' ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users