Cooling fan shootout - this should cause some discussion (disagreement)

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#26 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

Interesting , the average standard 6 cyl. starter motor is 1HP , not sure how that all equates to a thermo. fan motor rating , they must be

pretty good little motors to pull around 60 amps ?, dunno.

#27 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

My understanding of power generation is rudimentary at best, but the alternator does not provide power to the accessories (fans, radio etc), they are fed from the battery. The alternators role is to keep the voltage and charge in the battery the same. Hence why you can run fans, radio etc while the engine is off.
This would mean by my reasoning that the alternator is never working more or less at any given time but at a constant rate. I assume this can be confirmed or denied by running a voltage meter over the battery and the alternator while the car is running and turning all accessories on, that would answer the question definatively.

#28 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

The power loss is from the air resistance acting in the fan blades. The alternators resistance would be much less.

#29 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

My understanding of power generation is rudimentary at best, but the alternator does not provide power to the accessories (fans, radio etc), they are fed from the battery. The alternators role is to keep the voltage and charge in the battery the same. Hence why you can run fans, radio etc while the engine is off.
This would mean by my reasoning that the alternator is never working more or less at any given time but at a constant rate.

That's what I thought too.

s

#30 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Mine is also not the flashest, but i believe your sorta correct.

The battery acts more as a buffer with the car running.

Drive a car with an ammeter, you will see it climb as you turn on more stuff. This is the alternator loading up more.

Rule #1, you cant get anything for nothing.

Generators create a constant amount of power, alternators vary there load depending on the current draw.

Happy to be proven wrong.

#31 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

Yeah agree 100% that you don't get energy from nothing.
My position is that the alternator is working always at a surplus to keep the battery at full charge. Until of course you add enough accessories to need a bigger one.
Whatever the draw is from the alternator is what it is. I don't think the pulley on the alternator gets harder to rotate as draw demands increase hence the effort required by the engine to turn it remains constant regardless of energy demand by the accessories....if there's an auto electrician or an electronics engineer around feel free to chime in haha

#32 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

I don't think the pulley on the alternator gets harder to rotate as draw demands increase hence the effort required by the engine to turn it remains constant

I've always thought they were like the generator you had on your bike tyres to run the headlight on the handlebars, the faster the engine cranks the more power is pushed out, not the harder the alternator works the more it drains from the engine.

s

#33 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

I've always thought they were like the generator you had on your bike tyres to run the headlight on the handlebars, the faster the engine cranks the more power is pushed out, not the harder the alternator works the more it drains from the engine.

s

My understanding is it's sort of like an electric drill but in reverse. So there's brushes and it uses friction of some variety to generate the power....you can see where my yr12 physics classes are foggy haha....either that or it's an electromagnetic sort of thing with magnets and copper wire etc....my knowledge and understanding is running out haha

#34 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

You guys are thinking Generators. GM fased them out in the late 60's. 

Our cars run Alternators, they DEFINITELY do NOT provide the same power regardless. 

More load off the battery, the alternator puts in more power to replenish it, and as such puts more load on the engine. An alternator spinning on an engine with nothing attached to it will only draw the power required to spin the fan and bearings. A generator will draw the power required to produce whatever it is rated to. 

"The brushes in an alternator carry only excitation current, a small fraction of the current carried by the brushes of a DC generator,"

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Alternator_(automotive)

Edited by Bomber Watson, 07 May 2017 - 04:53 PM.

#35 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

You guys are thinking Generators. GM phased them out in the late 60's.

I thought it was later than that or am I thinking of a primitive alternator? I recall an older style alternator that had a separate module whereas the Torana alternators have that inbuilt.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 07 May 2017 - 05:13 PM.

#36 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

Different beasts. 

Early alternators had a separate module. 

#37 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

Alternators generate 3 phase AC which is then rectified to produce DC and are regulated by excitation by the regulator.

Generators produce DC which was  regulated by a fairly "crude complex" system of relays.Three phase is far more better for anything

from generation of lectrickery to running motors.

Any load connected to either system will result in some sort of power being sucked out of the engine , thermo. fans . seem to be quite efficient other wise they would not be used.

As far as a couple of thermos. drawing 2HP goes ? , equates to 2 stock 6 cyl. starter motors driving a fan each , them little motors not much bigger than a wiper motor must be bloody good gear or something is not right and the drain is not what we are being told ?

Just try testing an alternator on the bench and see how much it takes to hold the thing in place with next to no load.

#38 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:13 PM

as above....

Heres my take on it, 

Talking Thermo fan load only,not all the others stuff

My LJ has one thermo fan, pulls around 30 amps.

30 x 13 = 390 watts.

If we assume some poor efficiency like 50%..then it would take appx 800 watts input to the alternator  to make the 390w output.

Allow for some alternator windage/alt fan  and bearing drag,or whatever, lets say 1000w input power is reqd. to make it happen.

1000w = 1kw  = 1.34Hp

Seems light on, but thats how it seems to be .  I guess back in the day they always said an engine fan was about 7hp..........7 versus 1.3...we have a winner?

Edited by RallyRed, 07 May 2017 - 07:14 PM.

#39 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

Finally someone who knows enough to comment, I was beginning to believe my own bs there for a second haha....

Well yeah 1 to 2 HP is basically bugger all really, especially as I would say there would be people rocking head units and amps that would draw more than a fan.

Coming back to the video though, pretty amazing how much power those fans sucked out of a v8, completely justifies the switch to thermos for my mind, but as always each to their own

#40 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:05 PM

when i had my 200amp alternator at my auto lec being tested he had it mounted and connected to a huge 240v motor to spin it up,

as i had a gilmer pulley on it at that stage and he had a vbelt set up, he just ran the vbelt over the gilmer to test it,

as the output started to climb the belt would start slipping, could only test it up to around 100amps ,

my point is that a alternator does get harder to turn the more it has to output,

#41 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

yep, that's that old thing that Newton ( not Bert) figured out...."when one object exerts a force on a second object, the second object exerts an equal-and-opposite force on the first object.."... or in our language....""listen up.....if you push me to make 200 amps, well, I'll push back with the same amount of force""

..or something like that...lol

#42 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

About time this thread dispelled some myths. Completely agree with all Bomber has said, particularity where alternators will vary the the load to suit (current/power)demand. Thermo fans WILL save HP when they are NOT on. They are not needed MOST of the time, so you save HP most of the time. When they are on, you normally don't need 100% of the HP available. EG Slow speed, stop start, idling.

Thermo fans do not switch off at high speed unless your car is ECM controlled and has that functionality built in. They are normally only coolant temperature controlled.

If you are building a burnout car then a big mechanical fan makes sense.

I am a bit surprised that the clutch fan taxed so much HP when cold. I wonder if the HP taxed would be less if the test was done with say 60km/h airflow to the radiator to simulate real world conditions. I suspect it would be reduced. because it's less work to spin a fan into a head wind than in still air.

#43 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

Thermo fans do not switch off at high speed unless your car is ECM controlled and has that functionality built in. They are normally only coolant temperature controlled.

In my car, I can see my temp. gauge needle dropping at high speed which I guess means the coolant temp is going down. For me high speed is limited to driving on the highways. Ymmv if you have a drag car I guess.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 08 May 2017 - 10:02 AM.

#44 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:30 AM

Thermo fans WILL save HP when they are NOT on. They are not needed MOST of the time, so you save HP most of the time. 

As I earlier mentioned- my tests indicated any HP savings are negligible (when turning thermos off compared to on). However, that does not mean there are not HP savings, just that its like measuring a bees dick with a tape measure. 1hp will never be felt by seat of the pants, and its even not enough to really be picked up accurately by a dyno or drag strip.

Alternators will create extra resistance when the electrical load is increased- I've never disputed that... its a known fact, and something I have observed... However, over the years I have heard so many people tell me that I should be turning the thermos off as they will drain HP etc due to greater load on alternator and so forth- which was why I tested at the strip... again, the hp drain would be approx 1hp which is negligible. Needless to say, I just run them full time now (no mechanical fan). I could understand 1hp being more significant in a 30hp donk but in 250hp-400hp donks like typical torana engines, its just not enough loss to even think about. 

Edited by LC-GTR-1969, 08 May 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#45 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

, the strange thing is that most water pumps these days are still engine driven , not saying the

lectric ones don't work , just saying , engine speed /water pressure in sympathy with engine speed ?

Just picking up on this, I think it not only comes down to economics, but also, with the sophistication and demand on today's electronics in cars it may be a very powerful electric motor to drive for little gain for modern cars, in saying that, coolant speed needs to be linear with engine/coolant temp, not engine speed as such.
You will notice high end stuff comes with a speed controller which senses engine temp, doing away with the need for a thermostat.

#46 _Axewound_

_Axewound_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

Alternator parasitic load(loss) is the same throughout the engines rpm range. Amperage increases with rpm, voltage is regulated by the regulator.

% of parasitic load is dependant on size of alternator, bearings used/condition, pulley size and how efficient it is.

Edited by Axewound, 08 May 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#47 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Name:Bruce
  • Car:FC Holden, VK Commodore, - Ex torana owner

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:02 PM

Old thread, I know, can't keep my mouth shut here. I am an electrician, not automotive, but a volt is a volt and an amp is an amp

Alternators, and gens before them create voltage when spun. Disconnect the wires, there is no load, but still voltage present at the terminals. Regulated externally or internally to 13 - 15 volts roughly at all rpm.

Anything connected up and switched on will be a load, and draw current (amps)

The alt is basically an electric motor driven to make volts, rather than having volts applied and spinning.

A load will cause current to flow in the alt's windings, and have the effect of changing the magnetic fields between the turning part (rotor) and the stationary outer part (stator) causing a resistance to being turned. The bigger the electrical load, the harder it is to spin.

Peteruc's wattage to horsepower calculations are correct, but I don't think it directly can be compared to the horsepower needed to turn the alt pulley while under load. Only the engineers who designed the things would know how much torque is required to keep a loaded down alternator turning at whatever rpm. Plus, I reckon the pulley gearing between the balancer and alt pulley would halve(?) The required torque at the balancer.

The battery is connected in parallel with the alt, and will be seen as a load as well, probably not much. Proper auto sparky needed to answer this sort of thing...

2 x 100 watt spotlights will draw 16.6 amps.
Davies craig fans range between 8 and 19 amps

I've never felt any drag in my 2.4lt workvan with the spots on at all

Lc-gtr-1969's finding on the strip seem to suggest the same.

I reckon electric fans wouldn't use up much engine power.

Giddyup
B

#48 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 08 May 2021 - 12:11 AM

Oh shit wait till Byron sees this thread 

:D

#49 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 08 May 2021 - 12:16 AM

Good to see you are getting around Bruce 

you will fit right in here 

#50 Bruiser

Bruiser

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Name:Bruce
  • Car:FC Holden, VK Commodore, - Ex torana owner

Posted 08 May 2021 - 01:04 AM

Thanks gene, lurked around forums for years getting questions answered about speaker boxes, fishing, basses all sorts of things - good info out there. Never joined in on one though. Must have checked out all pages on this engine section at leats 3 times, there is some great stuff here and some pretty knowledgable cats too. Gotta laugh, I wont go near facebook but this is a bit of a novelty, I must say... I promise I will calm down soon hahah I crack me up

Is byron an actual auto spark who can show me the error of my ways?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users