#1 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

Hi all,  This may be a dumb question but would a 1 inch lowering block, lower the car by the same amount (all other things being unchanged).  The reason I ask is that logic says to me that yes it will lower it at the rear but front will stay the same, therefore if you measure at the middle of the car presumable the distance would be 1/2 inch? And secondly, it says in Vic. the regs that you cannot lower more than 1/3 of the original suspension travel (without engineering).  How do I ascertain this and/or is it likely to come into play.  Bearing in mind I'm not looking to lower the car substantially but do feel that lowering it a bit will help the look and ride.  Cheers Ron

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

1" lowering blocks in the rear will lower the rear 1". 

The front will remain the same. 

#3 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

Thanks, it is as I presumed.  Cheers Ron

#4 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

to get the 1/3 of the original suspension travel

measure the suspension on flat ground with the car at rest from the bump stop to where the bumpstop hits , calculate 1/3 of that 

then jack the car up so the suspension drops , subtract the first measure form the new one then calculate 1/3 from that

basically what they say is with the car is on flat ground , the full suspension travel up from rest is 100% and then the full suspension travel down from rest is 100% on a stock car

Edited by UCSLE, 03 May 2017 - 10:51 PM.

#5 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for that Troy.  The reason I asked the question is because there is a set of 2.5 inch blocks on EBay reasonably cheap but this is 63.5mm (Vic Regs say no more than 50mm) however this wouldn't be over the entire car assuming it's measured at the centre of the car. But this is where I presume the suspension measure comes into play.  Will it reduce by more than 1/3?  As an aside I don't know if 2.5 inches will be too much for what I want, regardless of regs. but may buy them and see.  Cheers Ron

#6 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

Get your springs reset. You can get them retensioned and put new bushes in at the same time.

#7 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

I had 3" blocks in the back of my hz ute.

It was nowhere near 'low' realistically.

You'll be fine with 2.5" blocks in terms of Mr plod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users