grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

Hi Guy's, a friend has asked me to give him a hand on some body work & he's purchased some 3m body filler, in the white tin with the newer part number, i have heard mixed reviews on it & haven't personally used it. Anyone used it care to give a opinion on it's pro's & con's ? It looks to suit a lot of different surfaces keen to hear about it, Gary.

#2 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

I've found the 3M Platinum Plus 01131 pretty good stuff.  No complaints with it from me.

As with any body filler, surface must be keyed.  Can go over bare steel, epoxy primer, fibre glass but I wouldn't put filler over acrylic.

Edited by mugginz, 17 May 2017 - 10:03 PM.

#3 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Greg, did you just use the normal amount of hardener ? That's the thing I've heard is that it dries very hard & can be difficult to sand. Gary.

#4 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:19 PM

I've found it easy to sand.  Some like to use a rasp while the filler hasn't quite gone off completely to rough in the shape initially and then turn to sandpaper after it's hardened properly.

There's a guide on the tin to how much hardener to use.  It shows a varying scale depending on temperature.  The lowest temp shown on the tin is 15 degrees C.  I'm not sure if there's any problems using it below that.  I can say I've never had any issues with delamination or trouble with it not going off when used properly.

Best grit to use to start with I've found to be 40 grit to shape, then through 80, 180, 320.

If you start with too fine a grit you'll always have issues trying to get a good shape no matter the filler, except maybe finishing putty.  I've been using U-POL Dolphin Glaze Filler over the 3M stuff where required.

#5 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Greg, yeah he's got the upol finishing bog I've used that & it was good, pretty much a really cold day in qld to be under 15o here so i won't have an issue there. Some people have said it dries very hard but that could be a personal opinion, i will give it a go in a week or so. Be good to give it a go on some fibre glass stuff. I have to do some repairs on my rear spoiler ect, was thinking of using some for it. Gary.

#6 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

I didn't notice you're up in QLD :)

Wish I could say the same about VIC weather at the moment.  Brrrrrrrrr.

#7 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:25 PM

Still gets cold for me mate, I'm not a fan of the cold weather at all. Darwin sounds great for winter i reckon.

#8 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

Had to use some of the 3m filler today and tested 80 grit paper to do initial rough in. I can say that if that's how you're using it you'll have a bit of a slog on your hands. You should definitely start with 40 grit to make life easy.

#9 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

Yeah okay Greg, i usually start on 80 grit & go finer. Could i cut it green with the 80 & have no issues do you think ? I don't usually like to use coarser than 80, unless it's a rough shaping. I appreciate the feedback from someone who uses it, Gary.

#10 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

Maybe.

80 is fine if it's only a small spot but if the area too be sanded is say bigger than around 10cm x 10cm then 80 grit would tend to skate over the top and be a chore to sand.

#11 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

How does it go on plastic repairs, say like commodore ect, bumper bars mate ? & have you used it on fibre glass.

#12 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:42 PM

I used dedicated "for flexible plastic" type filler for bumper bars, etc.

If I'll have a look tomorrow to get the brand I've been using.  The three repairs I've done with the stuff has held up over 5 years so must be decent stuff.

The one liberty I have taken with plastic repairs is to not use flex additive in the paint.  The advice I got was that it wasn't really necessary and over time that's proven to be true.

Oh, and haven't used it on fibre glass myself yet but I will be when the body kit turns up as no one makes kits for Toranas that don't require repairs and adjustments.

Edited by mugginz, 18 May 2017 - 08:44 PM.

#13 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

Hi Greg I'd be interested in the brand of plastic bar bog that you use. Interesting about the flex add, I've always used it myself. I need to do some touch ups on my cluby & some of the parts are plastic on the genuine parts as you know, I'm the same in that i like to use anything that works well rather than experimenting with different things all the time. Gary. What would be your preferd auto body filler ?

#14 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hi Greg I'd be interested in the brand of plastic bar bog that you use.

Finally found the tin I've been using while looking for other parts 

BumperSoft.jpg

I'd hidden the tin in one of the car parts bins.

#15 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for that Greg, what company do you usually purchase that through ? Might order a tin of that i think. Got told that the "apparent" only difference in the original 3m filler & the new 1 is the hardener, the earlier 1 was red and the new 1 is blue, don't know if it's true, have you ever tried different hardener in the 3m to see if it's not as hard to sand at all ? Gary

#16 mugginz

mugginz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

I usually go to Body Shop Paint Supplies in Geelong for just about everything automotive paint related. Very professional mob. The one in Geelong's address is:

FAC 5/131, Fyans StreetSouth Geelong, VIC 3220.
Phone:

They've got other outlets though.

http://www.sprayshop...tributor-finder

As far as hardener colour goes I was told there's no difference in active ingredients.

#17 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

Thanks Greg, i will call them about a stockist. Rod from 1 of the paint shops here said about the hardener difference, he could be wrong though. Gary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users